Luggage quick disconnect idea?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lower Hudson River Valley of The Communist State of N.Y.

Luggage quick disconnect idea?

Hi all:
    I have not seen this idea discussed on the forum yet. My friend GaryL and I were kicking around some ideas on how to devise a quick disconnect system for ones' luggage, topbox, milk crate, etc. We came up with an idea that may have some legs, and I wanted to throw it out to the community for your input. It may be possible to use a cam over type bolt fastener similar to those used on bicycle axles, or seat adjuster.

A concern that keeps coming up in my mind is that they may not have enough strength to be reliable. I was wondering if anybody had some ideas on the subject, and/or knows of a heavier duty similar device that we may be able to source and use to fab something up. I am confident that we'll figure something out that will be workable, and past experience has proven that asking you all is a great first step.

Thanks for your suggestions, and remember, Rubber Side Down, Dave

My current plan for quickly removable luggage. Get the cyclerack bag supports to clip onto my rear rack;
    https://cycleracks.com/ProductDetail...6/Default.aspx

And attach these to them;
    Wise Tall Utility Dry Box - Marine Outfitters - Ontario Canada

Should make for some good mid sized panniers that are easily removable.

I have a Emgo trunk. It is already a quick disconnect luggage box. I can't speak for the offroad durability of it because I mostly use mine on the pavement but....it is very affordable and it took me all of 5 minutes to mount mine and I am very happy with it. Perfect size, not too big, not too small. Plus, when it is off the plate that it mounts to still works just like a rack. I would highly recommend it.

Amazon.com: Emgo 72-32440 Travel Trunk: Automotive
    1991 TW200: Jimbo windshield, oversized foot pegs, quick release seat bolts, Tusk D-Flex hand guards, Yamaha luggage rack, Emgo trunk, 2 storage tubes, Bridgestone TW203/204 tires, LED taillight.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Was thinking a similar idea a military surplus case with a quick on.off mounting option. Would look reall good as well!

Bucknutz an I both have Cycleracks rear racks and we use our T dubs for hunting and fishing here in the NY Catskills. We have plastic milk crates for all of our gear that includes fishing rod, tackle, small cooler and room for rain gear. I have two milk crates attached to a piece of marine plywood that I bolt on to my rack and one crate carries my 36 pound Brittany Spaniel who is my hunting and fishing partner. She loves riding on the T dub and I strap her in pretty securely. I have to come up with some way to quickly attach or remove the crates and plywood board for when I am just going riding and don't need all the baggage. There is nothing pretty or fancy about our milk crates but they sure are handy and our bikes are utility all the way for doing the things we like to do. I will post a pic or two if anyone cares to see how we roll.

GaryL

I use two threaded J hooks with wing nuts to hold my top case in the cycle racks rear deck. It takes 20 seconds to remove IF the case is unlocked and open. This locks my C.R. Side bags on as well.
    Richard (a.k.a. LiquidSilver)

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

91 TW200 aka "The Mule" :-)

03 VRSCA / 05 Polaris Sportsman 500 / Honda Helix CN250[/color]

a real good source for hardware is a company called McMaster-Carr. They have every latch, buckle, bolt, etc. that you could ever want to find. I buy all my hardware from them that I use to build my Tinman racks and panniers. Everything they sell has a technical drawing, so you can take measurements and get exactly the part that works for your application. Happy 'modding' gentlemen. TIM

Quote Originally Posted by tinman tim View Post
    a real good source for hardware is a company called McMaster-Carr. They have every latch, buckle, bolt, etc. that you could ever want to find. I buy all my hardware from them that I use to build my Tinman racks and panniers. Everything they sell has a technical drawing, so you can take measurements and get exactly the part that works for your application. Happy 'modding' gentlemen. TIM
    Nice Tim, thanks.

McMaster-Carr is a great company and always seems to have exactly what you need. You do have to know what it is you are looking for or it could take a while to find it in their extensive inventory.

Here is my solution for my own special needs and I can have the crates off my bike in less than a minute.

GaryL

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post

Here is my solution for my own special needs and I can have the crates off my bike in less than a minute.

GaryL
    Interesting idea. I like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links