Rear Tire Criteria and Choices(one more time,please...)
Close

Rear Tire Criteria and Choices(one more time,please...)

Hi All,

I've researched and read everything that I can find about changing out the rear tire,BUT....I'm still uncertain as to the number of 28x8-14 choices available. ALSO,given the TW's power output,I think that
    having less than 100% traction(via an ATV tire) would be desirable at times;it certainly is with small displacement 2T MX engines.... Which leads me to the question-Given the mild-mannered nature of the TW(even when modified),how 'horrible' is the stock TW32/34 rear tire for off road use where the surface is primarily loose, bare, moist dirt with occasional mud /sand/ creek beds?
    There's several other members admitting to 'setting on the fence' regarding making the change to an ATV tire;as I am now,after re-thinking the performance capability of the stock tire......

Quote Originally Posted by Landser View Post
    Hi All,

I've researched and read everything that I can find about changing out the rear tire,BUT....I'm still uncertain as to the number of 28x8-14 choices available. ALSO,given the TW's power output,I think that
    having less than 100% traction(via an ATV tire) would be desirable at times;it certainly is with small displacement 2T MX engines.... Which leads me to the question-Given the mild-mannered nature of the TW(even when modified),how 'horrible' is the stock TW32/34 rear tire for off road use where the surface is primarily loose, bare, moist dirt with occasional mud /sand/ creek beds?
    There's several other members admitting to 'setting on the fence' regarding making the change to an ATV tire;as I am now,after re-thinking the performance capability of the stock tire......

There is nothing wrong with the TW34. In dirt, the problem is the TW32. 50 dollars solves that.

ATV tires involve a whole 'nuther level of commitment. They're heavy, costly, tall and will slow you down on pavement, difficult (even dangerous) to mount on the rim, they are virtually impossible to remove from the rim in the field, and for greatest joy they often require other unforseen modifications such as chainguard removal, extended swingarms, etc

That's a pretty tall fence for many. Make sure you can utilize their upside frequently enough to justify tolerating their downsides. Their main upside is that they offer 110% traction pretty much at ALL times.

It may have just been a typo on your part, but you don't want anywhere near a 28 inch ATV tire cuz it won't fit. Stick to the 26X8 or 26x9 designators. All of these tires differ greatly in their listed size designator vs. their ACTUAL mounted-and-inflated height. Some of them are well under 26", others over 27", actual. An inch matters hugely in a stock swingarm. Shorter is better.

I started out with the plan of running two rear rims, one with the stocker, one with the ATV tire. In reality unless the trip is going to be over 500 miles I pretty much run it full time and live with the downsides because my riding is so mixed that ultimately it's just too much hassle. A more disciplined (less lazy?) person could employ the two-wheel system and enjoy their choice of the best of both worlds.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 08-14-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

The 'commitment' portion doesn't bother me.....it's that long,long list of concessions ,however,that does........lol. Yes,'28' was a typo....

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, but we may as well be straight up about them to save those fellers on the fence.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links