Tw make over bobber style please help me make this happen
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tw make over bobber style please help me make this happen

Tw make over bobber style please help me make this happen

Hi guys I'm from South Africa and would like to start on a project. The pics I've uploaded is what I would like the bike to end up looking like. Only problem is here in South Africa we very restricted to alot of things. So alot of parts and spares for the rebuild will have to be bought from USA(were the guys can make everything).

Is there any one that could help me with what spares I would need to make a mod like this? This will be my first project bike and I don't have a clue where to start, but I do know that from what I see on the net that you American guys aren't scared to take in a project. Haha.

Just to give you guys am idea of what we lack over here. The very basic, the gas tank. There's no chance I could get that tank here and no one makes custom tanks lil that. The best I could get over here would be to buy a tank from another bike but then there's on way I will find one

Any help and advise will be highly appreciated.

And for the guys that have done mods. Wow. Hreat job guys you got soon really great mods
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a one stretched out TW!! Im no help, but good luck!

I feel your pain. Awhile back I tried to GIVE an exhaust system to a South African member. With shipping and duties his "free" exhaust was going to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 USD.

That bike in your pics is 99% SUBTRACTION, 1% ADDITION. Let's boil it down and see just how many parts you'll really need from outside:

Rear suspension: Nothing more than square tubing with a couple of holes in either end to replace the shock. I recommend you make one of these first, while the bike is still rideable. Don't toss your shock. I predict that you will HATE the strut but now is the time to get it out of your system for 5 bucks. Ride it, hate it, re-install shock and get on with build.

Front fender: Deleted. A small round headlight from nearly any Japanese bike could give you essentially the same "look". The mount could be duplicated in polished hardware store aluminum angle or it could be mounted to the forks with some cheap universal mounting "ears". Front done. There are far more unique headlights to be found than that trendy triangular thing, but that's just me. Plenty of vintage headlights from older scooters and road bikes have more interesting-looking headlights. Headlights setups can be changed up anytime for a whole new look. Least of your concerns.

Rear fender on your sample bike has been deleted and replaced with a shortened Universal Trailer fender, probably 6" with a 14" radius. Common as rocks. Knockoff Harley Sportster tank, the exhaust can be bent up by any muffler shop, frame rails lopped off with a $3 hacksaw blade, pod carb and airbox filters, basic seat pan covered locally, longer chain.

As I see it the only thing you'll need from elsewhere is the swingarm and possibly a pre-made pan to hide/re-arrange the electricals. From there the quality of detail and finish are all up to you, your tastes and skill levels.

You'll probably spend close to half the value of your bike to import the swingarm, alone. I'd make it mine by keeping it South African. Attention to detail and originality are what sets two-wheels-and-a-motor apart from the next, not a parts catalog and buckets of munny.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 08-27-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    r80rt and AQUATEENHUNGERFORCE like this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for taking the time to help give you views. Yep the shipping fee is the one that makes a hole in the pocket not the spares. I will have a look around here to see if I can get the tank done. Ill be looking at buying a non runner that has a problem with the Cdi. Over here it will cost me 2000 rand which should be just under $200.

The bike is not registered but it will be a project so I don't really worry about the logbook.

Just waiting to sell me current bike before I go and buy the Tw for the project

Thanks again for your help will make use of it

Hi Sahjj,

Where abouts are you in SA? I am in Durban and have just got a new Tdub to start a traditional Hollow mod, a little daunting as it is my first custom-build too but there are ways and means.
    I will start a build thread in a month or two, once I have run her in and got the first service out of the way in case any warranty issues pop up.

There are also plenty of places to pick up old tanks, if you know where to look, PM me if you are in Durban and I can send you some details, basically the places are few and far between and often in old warehouses in Industrial areas but they are around.
    If you ARE going to order/import, we could do it together and split shipping if you're nearby, which would help a lot? If you're not keen, that's cool, I would suggest Motorcycle Parts & Accessories from Japan - Webike, they have that specific headlight and a lot of other parts you may be interested in.

My only other advice would be to avoid anything without papers, our system is EXPENSIVE and getting caught on a vehicle which isn't registered can cause the bike to be impounded in rare cases which means your bike, with potentially expensive parts, and lots of labour and love will be long-gone until the paperwork is sorted. I am also starting another long-term side project at the moment restoring a '73 Honda CB 500 Four and sorting out the licencing which was two years out of date was almost R2000.

@lzrdbrth -
    Very kind of you to be giving the exhaust away, it's a pity the other forum member was going to get nailed by duties.
    There are two ways around that, one, if you had gift-wrapped it, (sounds silly I know, but it's true), he would not be liable for duties, and the other is the following from our customs and duty laws:

Customs Code 8714.19
    This refers to Heading 87.14 which states "87.14 Parts and accessories of vehicles of headings 87.11 to 87.13:
    8714.10 0 - Of motorcycles (including mopeds) kg free " which means all motorcycle parts and accessories are excempted from import duties in all rates of Duty 'EU, EFTA and SADC

I hope this helps and let's be in touch, it's cool to see other South Africans around!
    Last edited by Mr.Paynter; 09-19-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Finally picked up a Tdub...

We would kill for a new $200 CDI over here. Sometimes geography giveth, sometimes it taketh away. lol.

Glad you guys have hooked up. Always helps to know a guy who knows a guy.

I have a dumb Yank question because I can't find any info on the numbers involved. What became of all the government TW's over there? Is the Ag program long over, have they switched to a different bike or were there never many bikes in the program to begin with? It would seem that they would be at least a bit like the Aussie postiebike, and that someone over there would be sitting on the surplus. Always wondered why S.A. wasn't the TW capitol of the universe, given that the known TW universe is so small and knowable.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 09-19-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Not a dumb question at all!
    I really dont think there will be numbers available online.

I think our Post-guys walk or drive cars/bakkies (South African word for Utes) mostly, and the only post-rider which I have seen on a bike had the little AG 125 with baskets/racks.

The government surplus for any and all vehicles which are sold off is usually handled internally, so government/postal employees have first dibs and pay literally next to nothing for bikes etc. although they're usually poorly maintained and kinda rough.
    It's a little corrupt but sometimes in some areas and smaller towns guys get lucky. It usually helps if you know a guy.

Our local goverments or municipalities (think towns or small countys in America) act and manage resources independently so there are no national programs I am aware of, and here in Durban, one of the biggest towns on our East Coast, the only TWs I've seen were used by our beach police/parks and recreation guys for the beach-sand capabilities no doubt, but those seem to have been replaced now by bigger quads which can also tow small rubber-ducks/boats down to the water. It's also a 7-mile stretch of beaches in the city, so there weren't a lot.
    The tdubs were more than likely sold off and I have seen a guy on Gumtree selling 5 or 6 as is in pretty rough shape which I guess may be those ex-government bikes.

The thing here is guys who buy bikes often dont look after them and there isn't a massive restoration or even solid maintenance culture, or a legit one anyway, a lot of guys lose paperwork and sell bikes without papers and our system is difficult and expensive to recover legitimate titles once you cant track them down. A lot of Tdubs I see are also ex-farm bikes and guys still want like US$1500 - 2000 for really trashed older models, but some gems pop up. I basically decided to go new, as I know the little Yamaha will be reliable ( I have a 2005 SR 250 with close on 100 000 miles on the clock!) and from new with proper maintenance will be a good-looking and long-serving ride!
    Finally picked up a Tdub...

Another one of those useless TW factoids. lol. Thanks for clearing that up.

Actually it was your Ministry of Ag and Forestry (?) which was supposedly buying them in large numbers and issuing them to all the ag inspectors and certain forestry personel. It was one of those things which used to come up in our many annual "Are they gunna kill off the TW next year?" discussions. When they stopped TW sales in Oz we here in the U.S. figured its days were numbered and someone speculated that the S.A. contract would keep it in production. Probably just a failed or short lived experiment, but IIRC at least one of our members did have an ex-ag inspector bike.

A (very) few of us have an interest in agbikes in general, which have never been sold over here. A TW that was set up for work like a farm bike would be pretty handy as an expedition vehicle. Kinda handy being able to get off the horse from either side, etc.

You're correct on it being a "long serving" little monster. This little motor is pretty amazing, if not for power output at least for its ability to remain in one piece when you'd swear it should grenade. I quit worrying about that a zillion miles ago.

Hope you guys take lots of pics.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Not to further derail this topic, but its an interesting point of history for these bikes. Were they painted in any special livery to make them appear official, or was it just whatever yamaho rolled off the line is what they ran?

Quote Originally Posted by mra32 View Post
    Not to further derail this topic, but its an interesting point of history for these bikes. Were they painted in any special livery to make them appear official, or was it just whatever yamaho rolled off the line is what they ran?
    No clue, and apparently it may not have involved as many bikes or for as long a period as I'd believed. In fact I'm having a heckuva time to locate a single reference to the government program whereas there were many a few years ago.

I'd rather see Sahjj's build.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 09-23-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links