1984 XT250 fork swap... anyone?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1984 XT250 fork swap... anyone?

Just picked up a dead 1984 XT250 parts bike. It has front drum brakes. Does anyone know if i can use the forks on he TW? I need a little more height to compensate for my rear shock and rake. Obviously a triple bore will be necessary but has anyone tried this? Just wondering if ill be the guinea pig.

Quote Originally Posted by flyhunter3825 View Post
    Just picked up a dead 1984 XT250 parts bike. It has front drum brakes. Does anyone know if i can use the forks on he TW? I need a little more height to compensate for my rear shock and rake. Obviously a triple bore will be necessary but has anyone tried this? Just wondering if ill be the guinea pig.
    Do your homework and see if you can either locate the wheel travel specs on that old XT or (better) pull the springs and measure it yourself. Most bikes of that vintage didn't have any more travel to speak of than the TW, including the 500's. Yamaha lies.

May or may not be any worthwhile gain but at minimum you're looking at boring the triples and making spacers. Things to look out for to make things go smoother are to make sure that the brake stay cast into the inside of the left fork leg will engage the TW brake backing plate, that the axle hole diameters are the same, etc.

Another possibility would be to use the entire front end and 21, as-is. Should be a near bolt-on but the triples may bang your tank or limit future tank options.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 08-28-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Ill get a few measuring devices out and see what i come up with. At a minimum i all i want is extra length. Any more travel is only a plus. I got my back end jacked way up and the rake is kinda scary. Anyone got an extra set of triples?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The XT forks may have something to offer. Look into it.

If all you want is extra length YZ tubes can be mated to TW lowers.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Good. Now im certain it can be done, and it shall be done! Ill post some pics of the install once i get it going. Thank you!

You can probably make use of the XT's longer speedo and brake cables as well. With longer legs and tall bars the TW stuff is stretched to the limit. I used XT350 stuff on mine.

I saw Rodrey's bike in the flesh but it was several years ago. Can't recall how he handled the details such as spacers.

He also took a shot at installing the 250 motor in a TW frame. The results were not pretty. They're pretty massive relative to our motors and he eventually abandoned the project.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

flyhunter,

Good luck with the swap. I'm in the process of swapping 1983 XT200 forks myself. I'll post up some pictures when done. Clymer has a good service manual that may help out. Here is some data that may help you and others considering the swap.

Search old posts here and on Advrider too. Lizrdbrth has contributed much on this topic.

wa_medic
    Last edited by wa_medic; 08-29-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Lizrdbrth, I thought about doing the XT350 swap from my other parts bike but i would have had to swap hubs. I did feel much like doing that. I would assume the stock spacer off the TW would work fine. Unless the profile of the new forks is different. Did you have to use spacers? I think the 250/350 forks are the same aside from the caliper/drum mounts.

I considered putting the 250 motor in there but after reading that, i wont bother. It would be sweet to have a 4-valve sleeper though.

Just to be clear, my front end isn't an XT, it's a TW/YZ hybrid. I was just suggesting that you'll probably need a longer speedo and brake cables as I did and that you rob those parts from the donor bike. I happened to get mine from an XT350. In fact I've robbed a lot of parts from various Yamahas including longer brake arms, hoses, shifters, cables, kickstands etc. Most bolted right up.

Trying not to get TOO far off topic but since you have a couple of great donor bikes at your disposal, Yamaha interchangeability is sometimes your pal. For example all the kickstand mounting plates on the frames are the same and the longer/shorter kickstands from one model bolt up to almost any other model and you'll need a longer kickstand. If you wanted to swap the complete front end most of the steering heads are the same height and diameter so you could do it with stock bearings and races, etc.

I was just giving you some examples of things to check regarding front end swaps in general. The reason I suggested that you check the actual travel yourself is because the published figures are usually pure fiction. IIRC Yamaha lists the TW at 6.2" when in fact it's 5 inches, even. My TT500 is listed at 8 but in reality it's just north of 6. It seems like a worthwhile swap but if there's not much to be gained in terms of travel from your swap a pair of YZ tubes will get you the height with no machine work whatsoever. Despite having the donor bike a pair of YZ tubes will probably cost less than boring the triples for your swap alone.

Make sure you're gaining something, then if you are, go for it.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 08-30-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links