Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: TK200 "Trail King" project

TK200 "Trail King" project

I have an 89' Tw and so far I have added :
    1. Renthal Handlebars (and grips)
    2. Kenda K270 front tire and tw34 rear
    3. UFO plastics Yz fender (custom high mount)
    4. New sprockets
    5. Moose racing Bark busters with red plastic kit
    6. Renthal Grip donuts and pro grip lever covers (both in red)
    7. Custom headlight guard
    8. New headlight shroud decal
    9. Red oil fill cap
    10. Outlaw yz250f folding shifter
    11. All Balls Racing Fork seals
    12. Quick release seat bolts

Up next:
    1. Pro cycle rear shock spring
    2. Pro cycle fork spring
    3. Lizrdbrth (Remake) Oil cooler
    4. DG exhaust
    5. Ricochet header pipe guard
    6. Ricochet skid plate

Any suggestions would be great!

Update 1 -

Update 2 -

Update 3 -

Last edited by tcepilot; 11-23-2014 at 08:38 PM.
    Mr.wiggle likes this.
    -tcepilot Hidden Content
    --- Psalm 23 Verses 4-5 ----

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil,
    for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed
    my head with oil; My cup overflows. (New American Standard Bible)

"Trail King" - I like that!

Quote Originally Posted by tcepilot View Post
    I have an 89' Tw and so far I have added :
    1. Renthal Handlebars (and grips0
    2. Kenda K270 front tire and tw34 rear
    3. UFO plastics Yz fender (custom high mount)
    4. New sprockets
    5. Moose racing Bark busters with red plastic kit
    6. Renthal Grip donuts and pro grip lever covers (both in red)
    Up next:
    1. Pro cycle rear shock spring
    2. Pro cycle fork solution kit
    3. moose racing headlight guard
    4. D.I.D. O-ring chain
    I will upload pics soon.
    Any suggestions would be great, especially a cheaper way to go about the rear suspension.
    Define "cheaper". I've got about 100 pounds of TW shock experiments on my Burt Munro "sacrifice" shelf, all yielding varying results. If you're lighter or heavier or place different demands on the bike than the next guy his answer to the problem may not work for you. I like to mess with stuff like that but I consider it a huge part of what I get back from the hobby, and if it doesn't work out I'm willing to start all over. But in the end it's far from cheap.

I'm not sure what your weight and ultimate goals with the bike are, but the straight rate springs now being offered by ProCycle are theoretically a step in the right direction. I wouldn't give up all hope for the stock shock body until the results start trickling in

Most of the nasty "hit" and lack of control in the rear comes from the progressive spring on our shock.

Great name for your project.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 08-29-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Define "cheaper". I've got about 100 pounds of TW shock experiments on my Burt Munro "sacrifice" shelf, all yielding varying results. If you're lighter or heavier or place different demands on the bike than the next guy his answer to the problem may not work for you. I like to mess with stuff like that but I consider it a huge part of what I get back from the hobby, and if it doesn't work out I'm willing to start all over. But in the end it's far from cheap.

I'm not sure what your weight and ultimate goals with the bike are, but the straight rate springs now being offered by ProCycle are theoretically a step in the right direction. I wouldn't give up all hope for the stock shock body until the results start trickling in

Most of the nasty "hit" and lack of control in the rear comes from the progressive spring on our shock.

Great name for your project.
    I need something better for more offroad and hard trail riding. But I don't have too much money to spend on the shock/spring. Something more solid for sure
    Last edited by tcepilot; 08-29-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    -tcepilot Hidden Content

I got no dawg in this fight. I now have an extended swingarm and an entirely new set of rules. Was just a headsup that a Frankenshock could end up costing as much or more than the new spring when all's said and done, particularly if your first attempt doesn't quite get you where you want to be.

A lot of shock and spring combos have appeared on these pages over the years. Regardless of the shock body used the one thing that the most successful ones have in common is a straight rate spring, whether purchased new or pilfered from another (usually heavier) bike. Because you're on a budget that's probably where your greatest gains will be realized.

ProCycle has taken all the fun out of things by providing springs of a known spring rate, height and diameter. I was just suggesting that if you have the luxury of time to see how they're working out for others you could either pop for one of theirs or attempt to duplicate the results with pilfered springs.

Whatever spring you come up with it can later be adapted to a "better"(?) shock body, if you're into it.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Any chance to see some pics yet. Even if it's not finished yet. Get us something to get excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by joedirt1970 View Post
    Any chance to see some pics yet. Even if it's not finished yet. Get us something to get excited about.
    This likely will not be going too quick at all. I'm recently added an outlaw racing yz250f shifter, and I'm very pleased with that. Pics I will try to get later this week maybe. I'm planning on buying a kx250 by next spring. We will see how it goes.
    -tcepilot Hidden Content

I'm still sitting on the red ProCycle spring (so to speak) that I bought back when they were first added to the TW page. I'm slowly but surely getting parts together for a DIY compressor tool (and hopefully it works). So I'm crossing my fingers I'll get it done within this next week or two. I believe it was you asking for my opinion once I get it on. I almost said effit and took it in to have it swapped, but that's my last $200 allotted to the bike spending for a little while, and I'm trying to keep it set aside and ready to throw at lizrdbrth on a moment's notice for a cooler
    2018 CB500XA - Rally Raid: Level 2 Suspension/Wheels, Engine guard / bash plate, Pannier racks, Wide pegs, Rear brake reservoir guard, ABS switch, Radiator screen, kickstand shoe. Barkbuster/Storm. Palmer windshield adjuster w/ accessory bar. Savage steering damper, levers, and rear rack. Givi Trekker Outback 42L Top Case and Wolfman Rocky Mountain Saddlebags. 50W 3" spot/flood pods. Scorpion Serket Taper slip-on.

Quote Originally Posted by bananachunks View Post
    I'm still sitting on the red ProCycle spring (so to speak) that I bought back when they were first added to the TW page. I'm slowly but surely getting parts together for a DIY compressor tool (and hopefully it works). So I'm crossing my fingers I'll get it done within this next week or two. I believe it was you asking for my opinion once I get it on. I almost said effit and took it in to have it swapped, but that's my last $200 allotted to the bike spending for a little while, and I'm trying to keep it set aside and ready to throw at lizrdbrth on a moment's notice for a cooler
    Yep yep, it was me. I was just thinking about that!
    -tcepilot Hidden Content

I also was wondering how the new ProCycle springs will work out. In the mean time I am doing a little, sperminten. The TW 200 shock has three grooves that allow for a preload adjustment. Liz has mentioned that the minor change in spring preload is not much. So, I took it a bit further. Frist I set the wire ring on the groove that gave the most preload. In conjuction with that. I made a 1/4" spacer and put it between the spring and the bottom spring seat. This added about 3/8" of preload. On the street, I liked the results. On the rough stuff, it beat the hell out of me! It was just to stiff. Back to the shop. I have moved the wire ring back to the middle groove and kept the 1/4" spacer in place. 1/4" pre load. this gives me 1.9" of race sag. I will ride it this way on the Roundup Reroute Ride this weekend and report back. When you remove your shock, don't "misplace" the lower mount cushions!! Thanks again Brian.

Joe
    Last edited by Joemama; 10-09-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    joeband, MCC1776 and admiral like this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links