Very excited to embark on my TW build. 6 years put off. YZ forks?
Close

Very excited to embark on my TW build. 6 years put off. YZ forks?

So I have had a very old, kick start tdub sitting in my folks barn for something like six years. Finally I am embarking on building it, and have stripped it down. I work at TechShop in Austin and have access to pretty much every tool you would ever want to build bikes (Waterjet Cutter, Tormach 3 axis cnc, Weldings shop, metal fab shop) and this is my first personal project to nock out in here. I really want to fit a reasonable for to it, and am consider a yz250 front end due to price and availabilty. I have yet to find someone who has done this, and am aware the fork is a good bit longer. I havent been able to find the exact dimensions, but am relatively sure I can make it work, with a custom machined axle and possibly jockeying the upper fork stanchions so they are above the triple tree. Any input would be incredibly apreciated, and I would be happy to help people out with any kind of custom fabrication projects they might need. I am also going to be fitting a flat slide 28mm carb and could use any tips regarding this.

tdub.jpg

You talking conventional or USD forks? Tw wheel or YZ?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

TW Wheel, custom axle and locate the disk via machined out adapters

I have mixed feelings about the TM28-1 flat slide. It's pretty hard to tune. If Pro Cycle come out with one tuned for a TW200 it might be ok.

I'd ask why, but I suspect your answer would be similar to mine, "Because I can". It appears that you have the facilities to get 'r done, so the costs of getting it on the bike (stem, spacers etc. if needed) aren't going to be as much of a factor. A former member swapped DR650 USD's and a 21 onto his. It's quite doable, just be sure you're really into it. If you're sold on the idea here's a few things which may or may not become factors in the swap. It takes a lot of homework to do a successful swap, so don't get completely fixated on the YZ thing. There may be better candidates

The YZ front ends are in the ballpark of 11.5 inches of travel, which if honest is pretty much double that of a TW. However I think you'll find that a TW 18 incher with an offroad tire is within a half inch or so of the height of a 21. That means that your idea for lowering the front end by raising the tubes in the triples may not fly because your tire will then bottom on the lower triple. You'll probably need to keep the front end at full length. Can you live with a 6" increase in ride height, all of the extra weight and rear suspension work to match it? If so you might consider scrapping the idea of the TW wheel in order to offset the increased weight of the USD forks and run the skinny 21. Of course you'll have no speedo, if that matters.

The more you lift the rear of a TW the more wonky things like maintaining proper chain tension can become a factor. Might mean a chain roller and/or extended swingarm.

Dirtbike USD forks are usually fat in all the wrong places for wide tires, but if that's what you're after check the distance between the uppers. You'll need a minimum of 5" between the upper tubes to get away with running a 5.10 with stock triples. 5 1/2" would be better. If you luck out and find a standard front end with that much clearance you could just lace your TW 18 to the existing hub and be done. If not you're looking at wider custom triples and the TW hub.

USD's will most likely be tank bangers. Depends on the offset in the triples. Early YZ USD's were smaller in diameter than later bikes. Not sure by how much or what year the changes occurred but it may help to go early. This is pretty much true of all USD forks. The newer they are the fatter they are.

Caliper mounts are usually easier to deal with on USD's, so probably not a great concern. You can probably space the caliper inboard rather than having to space the disc outboard. Kinda depends on where all the pieces land.

'Bout all I can think of right now.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 09-12-2013 at 01:07 AM.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links