Speedometer face plate change?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speedometer face plate change?

Anyone changed it out? The one I took of the XT225 is slightly faded. Just wondering if it's worth the trouble. I almost have the mileage run up to the same as my '99's.
    A DeWalt electric drill runs at about 68 mph. 22 hrs of running.
    '99 TW,Ricochet skid plate, Seat Concepts, Jimbo shield, 2" extended swingarm w/Maxxis Bighorn, 5.10 Kenda K270, Stealth exhuast, YZ80 hybrid front forks w/HyperPro proressive springs, ProCycle high mount front fender, ProCycle wide foot pegs, TT-R stainless head pipe, Lizrdbrth cooler, D-Flex hand guards, XT350 gas tank.

2002 Honda Spirit Shadow VT750

1987 BW350

'78 Honda XL100

Getting the needle off can sometimes be tricky. I've never done it on a TW speedo and don't recall offhand which type of needle attachment ours has but I'll take a look and see what's involved with getting the needle off of one of my junkers when I get home.

I'll bet that one of the youngsters or more tech-savvy oldsters on here could print you out a nice replacement face overlay.

The boy racer crowd does this all the time, creating exact sized white faced, colored or duplicate speedo and gauge overlays with adhesive backings. I wouldn't mind some sort of hi-viz repacement for mine so that I could backlight it with low-wattage red bulbs and lose the glare.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 09-12-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hadn't thought of that. Girlfriend has a vinyl printer. Maybe she'll come in for something handy.
    Only problem I can see is getting it past the needle, and the two screws that hold faceplate on.
    Figured needle drive had a flat spot and it would just pull off.

You're going to pass Qwerty soon as the top poster.
    Last edited by Trikstr; 09-13-2013 at 04:30 AM.
    '99 TW,Ricochet skid plate, Seat Concepts, Jimbo shield, 2" extended swingarm w/Maxxis Bighorn, 5.10 Kenda K270, Stealth exhuast, YZ80 hybrid front forks w/HyperPro proressive springs, ProCycle high mount front fender, ProCycle wide foot pegs, TT-R stainless head pipe, Lizrdbrth cooler, D-Flex hand guards, XT350 gas tank.

1987 BW350

'78 Honda XL100

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think you'd still have to remove the needle and faceplate. If the faceplate screw holes were printed on the replacement you could index on them and get perfect alignment.

I know nuttin', other than printing them out appears to be child's play nowadays.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Much like the Qwertster it's taken me 7,000 posts to say what coulda been said in 5.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I doubt that. Your posts are always filled with good info.

1987 BW350

'78 Honda XL100

I'll have her look at face plate and see if she thinks she can duplicate it. If so maybe you can take one of you spares apart and see how hard it is and send a face plate with your idea of what you'd want printed.

1987 BW350

'78 Honda XL100

Deal. One of my clunkers may even have a better face than what you have. Either way if I can get it off you're welcome to it.

Getting the speedo itself out of the housing is a bit tricky but I'm pretty sure taking the face off one is pretty easy. I already have one that's been freed from the housing, just not sure how good its face may be.

Edit: I found a pic. The face isn't all that great but maybe she can clean it up electronically for printout? I dunno. You may run into this on all of them because it appears that the white plastic reflector contacts the speedo face and rubs the paint of over time.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...-needed-2.html

O.T. but I wonder if anyone has solved the mystery as to whether or not the trip meter is simply hidden from view on the early models.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 09-12-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I have a pre-2001 (? No trip odo) speedometer. 13087 miles. . Housing, wires, "glass", numerals all good. Its your's for $25.00 plus shipping.

The one currently on my '99 is in excellent shape. I just wanted a speedometer with trip meter.
    Thanks fishguy.

1987 BW350

'78 Honda XL100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links