My winter traction plan
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My winter traction plan

My winter traction plan

I hate to think about the pending cold weather since we are still having really warm days right now. However, I know that snow is around the corner and the TW is my winter ride. I rode in some snow this year when I first got the bike but this year I will ride it all the way through. This means commuting about 20 miles a day. I already sprayed the bag down with a Corrosion Block this weekend.

I thought about studs but on the dry days they may not be great on the pavement. Chains would be less than perfect too. So I am going to sipe and grove the stock tires. I think this will give me a little bite on the slick stuff. I found a groover pretty cheap so I think I will try it out.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

ATV tire? improve look and functionality ?(?)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Having ridden in snow a bunch, the rear tire does AWESOME in snow. All on its own! But.... The second you touch ice, game over. I've had siped tires on cars and it made some difference in snow, but not significant. The stipulation with siping is that you need the tire to deform. So you either need to eat more or air down on the bad day. I'm curious to hear how the TW does in ice with the siping! The biggest difference will come from changing the awful front tire. That alone made it drivable in the snow for me. I can handle some rear wheel slipping It's easy to control. I do runs chains as well in real bad ice, and they aren't as bad as you might think! Just make sure you get a real tight one or have a bungee cord to tension. Mine comes on and off in 2 minutes tops! Lots of things to consider, be safe riding in snow and ALWAYS watch for other cars sliding in to you!!!
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    2015 WR250R - Bored, stroked
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am
    Stolen - 2007 Trailblazer SS
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    1977 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M

2 Timothy 1:7

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hey Steve...
    Last year, I drove mine all winter with the exception of about 3 weeks when I was down with a badly sprained wrist. I no longer have to be at work everyday, so I could choose when I wanted to go, but I gotta have my bike riding "fix" year round or I just go crazy. I would agree that the front tire needs to go. I had your shop put a Shinko 244 goldenboy on for me and it is so much better. I honestly don't think having the tires siped is going to be as effective as you hope it might. Knowing the roads up here like you do and knowing where you have to go, I think sheet metal screws or actual store bought ice studs would work much better. It's hard keeping a grip in the front on packed snow or getting out of the wagon wheel tracks left by the cars, and ice is just a crash waiting to happen. I can putt around the neighborhood or go to the store on the back roads pretty easy, but you have a ways to go and can't get there going 15 miles a hour...

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Hey Steve...
    Last year, I drove mine all winter with the exception of about 3 weeks when I was down with a badly sprained wrist. I no longer have to be at work everyday, so I could choose when I wanted to go, but I gotta have my bike riding "fix" year round or I just go crazy. I would agree that the front tire needs to go. I had your shop put a Shinko 244 goldenboy on for me and it is so much better. I honestly don't think having the tires siped is going to be as effective as you hope it might. Knowing the roads up here like you do and knowing where you have to go, I think sheet metal screws or actual store bought ice studs would work much better. It's hard keeping a grip in the front on packed snow or getting out of the wagon wheel tracks left by the cars, and ice is just a crash waiting to happen. I can putt around the neighborhood or go to the store on the back roads pretty easy, but you have a ways to go and can't get there going 15 miles a hour...

Yeah I figure if it helps 10% that is better than nothing. I have no problem going to plan B when things go south. Last year when things got sketchy I rode on the side of the road at a slow rate. The worst part I have is a short stint on 195 but last year it was pretty clear even with snow due to the traffic. Plan B will be to get a different front and stud the center lugs...

I sold the car a couple of years ago but I didn't sell my wife who has a car and is happy to cart me around when needed so I will be going that route when its really bad.
    Last edited by stephenmarklay; 09-13-2013 at 06:40 AM.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Good to review the topic since we might have new members that haven't seen previous winter driving threads. I'm going to agree with littletommy on most points he made. The best choice would be to insert automotive/motorcycle tire studs into the stock rear tire and a non-stock front tire such as the SR244 and lower tire pressure for packed snow and ice conditions.

If it's deeper snow, then chains, but gotta have snow or packed snow/ice the whole way to work. Studs or sheet metal screws are worthless in deeper snow.

Chains ain't gonna work to good on dry pavement, neither will sheet metal screws in the front or rear.

Though your plan is to ride to work, this thread thread from last January https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...er-riding.html In winter, I ride almost exclusively off-road or off-main roads sticking to trails/forest service roads. I used chains on the rear and diy sheet metal screws on the front SR244. Front did poorly in any condition other that packed snow or ice. This year, I'm gonna scrap the sheet metal screws and rear chain set for individually strapped on chains for the front & rear. Easier and quicker for installation and removal.

This was last winters setup

Sample photo of what I'm setting up for this year front and rear.
    Fred likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Good to review the topic since we might have new members that haven't seen previous winter driving threads. I'm going to agree with littletommy on most points he made. The best choice would be to insert automotive/motorcycle tire studs into the stock rear tire and a non-stock front tire such as the SR244 and lower tire pressure for packed snow and ice conditions.

If it's deeper snow, then chains, but gotta have snow or packed snow/ice the whole way to work. Studs or sheet metal screws are worthless in deeper snow.

Chains ain't gonna work to good on dry pavement, neither will sheet metal screws in the front or rear.

Though your plan is to ride to work, this thread thread from last January https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...er-riding.html In winter, I ride almost exclusively off-road or off-main roads sticking to trails/forest service roads. I used chains on the rear and diy sheet metal screws on the front SR244. Front did poorly in any condition other that packed snow or ice. This year, I'm gonna scrap the sheet metal screws and rear chain set for individually strapped on chains for the front & rear. Easier and quicker for installation and removal.

This was last winters setup

Sample photo of what I'm setting up for this year front and rear.
    Thanks Admiral,

I actually asked the question back in January or so and I remember your comments. I like the straps in this last picture and I guess I need to start working on these. I really like them and I think they would work well. Let me know where you source parts for this project.
    Last edited by stephenmarklay; 09-13-2013 at 08:51 AM.

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Yeah, up and down the 195 would scare me a little, folks really blast up and down that hill anyway... and with snow and ice......??!! As you know, once the sun comes out a bit, the roads can be relatively dry and clear many days of the winter.

I spent some time looking at the front tire choices thread and the Trials front tire seems like a good choice since some are already siped. Can anyone think if a trials tire that would second as a good winter tire? I assume that would be the one with a ton of siping and soft.

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

Couldn't you get a REAL Ice Car tire for the rear

There is some Swedish thing that beats studs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links