Kolpin gas can L-Bracket to Cyclerack mounting tips/tricks?
Close

Hi,

I did a search for mounting the Kolpin gas can L-bracket to a cyclerack and found this thread but most of the pictures are gone. I'd very much like to see some, please.

Especially, I'm wondering if anyone has successfully mounted theirs down and off the left side in a saddle-bag type position. (like this Suzuki) I'm thinking some triangulation support will be necessary to be secure but having it there would seem to be low and out of the way.

thanks in advance,

n8
    Hidden Content : KLR pegs, 47t sprocket, cyclerack, Bridgestone 203/204, D.I.D. o-ring chain, Jimbo shield

Hidden Content : gone to a new home. it was my first...had it for 14 years. miss it sometimes.

That side mount is cool. I'd be interested in a how to too. I can't mount on back since I did the big led brake mod.

Upright rear mounted:

One stainless steel u-bolt around the top bar with a 1/2" rubber spacer holds it securely in the upright position.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-

If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

longroof has one mounted on the left side. I think he fabbed the mount himself. Maybe he will see this and post some pictures and detales of the mount.

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    longroof has one mounted on the left side. I think he fabbed the mount himself. Maybe he will see this and post some pictures and detales of the mount.

I know this is a long-dormant thread, but it deserves to be continued as there are those amongst us who will find this information useful. Thus this reply.

CycleRack has modified their pannier system to accommodate an inside mounted Kolpin Fuel Pack Junior that can work with your bags still on. Since I'm our and about on my property and because I'm about 15 miles from the nearest station, additional fuel is a real plus. Here is what I did.

This is the pannier mount with the Kolpin can attaching point. It is actually only a small piece of sheet metal, drilled for bolts, bent with a 90 degree lip bent on with a break of some type, and this is welded to the inside of the bag plate on the pannier attachment. Here it is mounted on my T'Dub:

This is what $38.35 gets you at Amazon:

The set from Kolpin comes with self-tapping screws that won't work here, bolts are in order, with washers and lock-nuts.

Marc at CycleRack said the new unit was predrilled to fit the Kolpin mounting plate, but I found I had to modify it so that the second bolt would fit - just a quick drill-out. Since everything had already been mounted, I drilled the hole by feel (would have had to have in any event since the tank mount plate sits behind the bag mount. Here she is:

Here's the tank mounted:

You might think that the fit is kind of close, making it a pain to get the tank off but CycleRack's pannier system is easy to tip up on the rack permitting very easy access:

Quote Originally Posted by Flingwing View Post
    I know this is a long-dormant thread, but it deserves to be continued as there are those amongst us who will find this information useful. Thus this reply.

CycleRack has modified their pannier system to accommodate an inside mounted Kolpin Fuel Pack Junior that can work with your bags still on. Since I'm our and about on my property and because I'm about 15 miles from the nearest station, additional fuel is a real plus. Here is what I did.

This is the pannier mount with the Kolpin can attaching point. It is actually only a small piece of sheet metal, drilled for bolts, bent with a 90 degree lip bent on with a break of some type, and this is welded to the inside of the bag plate on the pannier attachment. Here it is mounted on my T'Dub:

Good info, thanks for posting. Though I've put a larger gas tank on my TW, I'll be wanting some extra fuel when I ride my "Big Loop" ride next summer. You've solved it for me.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    ... I've put a larger gas tank on my TW, I'll be wanting some extra fuel when I ride my "Big Loop" ride next summer...
    Yup, the bigger tank helps for sure, but you still need that extra gallon to get the range for those long waits between fuel stops. With the Clarke and Kolpin along the range is good enough to keep up with the KLR.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-

If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - Hidden Content

Mounted mine to the back of Cyclerack using 2 u-bolts and 2 3/4" conduit clamps. Went for a ride and it was making noise due to bumps. Cut up an old tube and placed some rubber between L-bracket and rack and inside conduit clamps. No more noise.

I mounted the Kolpin gun scabbard on the left side of the rack with L-bracket with 4 U-bolts. Haven't tried it out yet.
    '99 TW,Ricochet skid plate, Seat Concepts, Jimbo shield, 2" extended swingarm w/Maxxis Bighorn, 5.10 Kenda K270, Stealth exhuast, YZ80 hybrid front forks w/HyperPro proressive springs, ProCycle high mount front fender, ProCycle wide foot pegs, TT-R stainless head pipe, Lizrdbrth cooler, D-Flex hand guards, XT350 gas tank.

2002 Honda Spirit Shadow VT750

1987 BW350

'78 Honda XL100

Sponosred Links