tell me about the blaster shock...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: tell me about the blaster shock...

tell me about the blaster shock...

I know the blaster shock threads are all over but I have some questions...
    1. should the front or rear shock be used?
    2. how easily does it mount?
    3. Is it any stiffer?
    4. Is it adjustable?
    5. By how much does the shock go back down when you sit on it? (does it stay as high as it looks when riding or does it look as stcok does?)
    6. Is it more suitable for off-road riding?
    -tcepilot Hidden Content
    --- Psalm 23 Verses 4-5 ----

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil,
    for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed
    my head with oil; My cup overflows. (New American Standard Bible)

7. More or less suitable with an ATV tire?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Rear shock.

Mounts easily.

Just my opinion based on a ton of shock swaps. Plenty of us run them and will no doubt have a different opinion. I'm 5'9 on a tall day, 170lbs. on a fat day and found it totally unsuitable. YMMV.

All it is is TALL. Nosebleed tall. IMO it requires`a lifted front end to compensate for the change in trail. Twitchy steering. Too much sag, so when you try to lift or paddle the bike through rough stuff the bike rises up to meet your crotch right in the mushy, useless part of the stroke. Total mush for the first few inches of travel, after which it settles down to reasonably adequate firmness. However of all the shocks I've tried it was one of the few which was capable of using all its travel in both compression and extension.

Possibly much better for the taller and heavier rider than it was for me. Old Betsy just did beaucoup miles of Oz dirt on one and viewed it as an improvement.

Stock length shock is fine for an ATV tire unless you're particularly well fed and/or have a lengthened swingarm. I run a stock shock and spring with a 2" extended swingarm. My bike is a bit heavier than most and even with a week's worth of gear and chow it never bottoms.

Last edited by lizrdbrth; 09-16-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    retmotor likes this.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

hmmm... A stiffer spring for the stock shock is seeming to be the only way to go.
    Texas TDub likes this.
    -tcepilot Hidden Content

Procycle has them.

Quote Originally Posted by tcepilot View Post
    hmmm... A stiffer spring for the stock shock is seeming to be the only way to go.
    Negative. There are literally dozens of ways to go. I'm just reporting what I found to be wrong with this one, for me, on my bike at my height and weight.

What is it you're trying to cure about yours?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Well I'm about 5'11 on a nice, warm, tall and fluffy day. And coming in at about 210 when I'm feeling fat. Im just looking for something more suitable for trails without modifying the forks.
    -tcepilot Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by tcepilot View Post
    ............... something more suitable for trails without modifying the forks.
    Make sure you have the correct oil level in your forks. Mine used to bottom out a lot and now, with the correct oil level, they don't.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

If you are 5'2 like others on here it can be a bit tall. It is also very soft the first few inches of sag. A fork upgrade (YZ 80) is HIGHLY suggested (no pun intended) and you can find a pair of mid 90' YZ 80 forks on eBay for around $20-$30. You will need to fabricate a custom eye loop (what's the right word Russ?) for the upper eye loop to fit snug. It cost me about $40. I am a tall guy. I feel like I am riding a shetland pony so the upgrade was perfect.IMG_6050.JPGIMG_6054.JPG
    The rake with the blaster shock without the front fork upgrade was ridiculous. I felt like I was on facing straight down and the handling was terrible (as expected).
    Both upgrades can be accomplished for around $50.

Quote Originally Posted by joedirt1970 View Post
    If you are 5'2 like others on here it can be a bit tall. It is also very soft the first few inches of sag. A fork upgrade (YZ 80) is HIGHLY suggested (no pun intended) and you can find a pair of mid 90' YZ 80 forks on eBay for around $20-$30. You will need to fabricate a custom eye loop (what's the right word Russ?) for the upper eye loop to fit snug. It cost me about $40. I am a tall guy. I feel like I am riding a shetland pony so the upgrade was perfect.IMG_6050.JPGIMG_6054.JPG
    The rake with the blaster shock without the front fork upgrade was ridiculous. I felt like I was on facing straight down and the handling was terrible (as expected).
    Both upgrades can be accomplished for around $50.
    Is there a build thread for your setup? Very curious about the front end swap.
    BMW G650 XChallenge, Triumph Scrambler, BMW R60/6, SV650 Track machine, 88 TW200, RD350, KTM 640ADV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links