What tire should I use to replace stock front to help avoid washout
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What tire should I use to replace stock front to help avoid washout

Hey everyone, I am thinking about replacing my stock front tire with something more bitey. I have not yet experienced any washout but will be doing a lot more dirt road/trail riding coming up. Plus, there is quite a bit of sand where I am too. Any thoughts of what to use. I read previously that the Maxxis 6006 was a good replacement in the past, but I don't think they are making it anymore. Thoughts please, thanks tons.

I believe at smalltires.com they are offering the M6006.

http://smalltires.com/store.cfm?acti...8&Brand=MAXXIS

Ah,

the long running tyre question.

For softer going and expecially sand, avoid going wide with the frint tyre. Narrower tread works a whole lot better... strange but true.

I use a Pirelli Rally Raid MT21 x 120 wide (it's a rear tyre). What you are looking for is a rear tyre that is not to knobbly and looks like it won't slide sideways so easily. That means you need a nice block pattern around the eadge of the tyre tread. Have a look at the more dedicated off road front tyres and you will get the picture. Folks that have had a ride on my TW comment that the front steers very well and bites well. A 120 section tyre seems to work well, you can go wider of course, but you will pay dear in soft sand...

Hope you find something you like,

Ben P.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Larrs View Post
    I believe at smalltires.com they are offering the M6006.

http://smalltires.com/store.cfm?acti...8&Brand=MAXXIS

thanks very much, also for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Parry View Post
    ....For softer going and expecially sand, avoid going wide with the front tyre. Narrower tread works a whole lot better... strange but true.

I agree.

The "thinner/skinnier" front tires cut into the sand and you can steer the bike. The fatter front tires "float" on the sand and steering is much more difficult.

Imagine driving on the beach with the front wheel in a tire track that was made by a 4x4 that previously passed that way.

When you try to get out of the track the front wheel will just follow the groove - like a train on tracks.

You keep on turning the handle bar to get the front tire out.....

And then suddenly it does bit into the sand to get out of the track and you`ll go over the handle bars..... unless you were doing it slowly with your feet ready to stabilize the bike.

I personally think the fat front tire is much more useful on the road than off-road.
    2008 TW200

I picked up a Shinko (it says Golden Boy on the side). I went with the 4.10 -18 It's a lil bit smaller than the stock tire. In the sands of South Jersey it performs very well and does ok on the pavement. For the money (34 bucks)

its the only tire I need for the riding I do.
    Old fat guy on a lil motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    I agree.

The "thinner/skinnier" front tires cut into the sand and you can steer the bike. The fatter front tires "float" on the sand and steering is much more difficult.

Imagine driving on the beach with the front wheel in a tire track that was made by a 4x4 that previously passed that way.

When you try to get out of the track the front wheel will just follow the groove - like a train on tracks.

You keep on turning the handle bar to get the front tire out.....

And then suddenly it does bit into the sand to get out of the track and you`ll go over the handle bars..... unless you were doing it slowly with your feet ready to stabilize the bike.

I personally think the fat front tire is much more useful on the road than off-road.

I've been running the Maxxis 6006 for about 6,000 miles. It's a 130/80-18. If I was going to replace it I would definitely go with a 120. The first time I took the 130 on the pavement through some twisties I was amazed at how much more steering effort it required to get the bike back upright coming out of a corner. Probably due to the heavier tire. I've gone over the handle bars several times trying to get out of ruts. I really can't recommend going over the bars, it's not a lot of fun.

Tim

jim
    Quote Originally Posted by jclovesu View Post
    I've been running the Maxxis 6006 for about 6,000 miles. It's a 130/80-18. If I was going to replace it I would definitely go with a 120. The first time I took the 130 on the pavement through some twisties I was amazed at how much more steering effort it required to get the bike back upright coming out of a corner. Probably due to the heavier tire. I've gone over the handle bars several times trying to get out of ruts. I really can't recommend going over the bars, it's not a lot of fun.

Tim
    I would also like to replace my front tire for riding in sand, have Bridgestone 130/80-18 66p, so if I put on a Maxxis M6006 what size would it be to be smaller?
    Join Oathkeepes.org

Because Home Land Security Begins @ Home: BPAUX.org

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and liberals

jim
    Does any have any feedback on the Shinko 130/80-18 66p for $76.00

the site says it was made for the tw200
    Join Oathkeepes.org

Because Home Land Security Begins @ Home: BPAUX.org

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and liberals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links