Seat mods
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gerry
  • 1 Post By Gerry

Thread: Seat mods

There were quite a few approaches to seat mods on the old forum. hoping to resurrect some of the pics and info, particularly the TW/XT splices to match the bigger tanks.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I did a search of the old forum and came up with this excellent post from Peruano in 2008 of installing a metal XT350 tank and then making the TW seat bend to fit the (larger) XT350 tank: http://tw200forum.co...1/ShowPost.aspx

This very interesting post by davedyno in 2009 shows another approach by splicing the front of an XT350 seat to a TW seat pan in order to fit an XT350 Clarke tank. It also has facinating info on banshee shock mods, large atv tire use/modified wheel, and more: http://tw200forum.co...4/ShowPost.aspx

There are plenty more results that come up too, but this might be a good starting point for discussions. I don't know if Peruano or davedyno still visit this forum or not, but I'm sure they or others could elaborate on their successes and failures. The search format I used with Google was: xt350 seat site:tw200forum.com/forums/

Corey
    two 2009 TWs, Ricochet skidplates, Moose Racing 'Expedition' rack (like a Borrega), DID 428V O-ring chains, DMoto2 -style black steel footpegs from eBay

Thanks. Davedyno's post was one of the ones I was looking for.

Peruano's still here. Been here since dirt . I think he was one of the first to do the XT tank thing.

I really, really, really HATE the TW seat LOL. Finally getting around to doing something about it.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I actually tried to extend the life of my xt350 post by doing an edit for this new forum site. The address is:

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...ch__1#entry841

If that does not work it can be found searching for xt350 tank under Performance and Customization.

Interesting that you might be thinking about the xt350 seat. I'm watching an xt350 (complete bike minus a title, a kick lever and presumably some part of internal kicker assembly) in the abq area. It has an xt350 tank (good on one side and I'm not sure how badly smushed on the other) as one that I might restore to a better (read slicker) tank. I;m not interested in anything else on the bike, but it does have a good seat. If it get cheap enough I might buy it to get the tank or just try to buy the tank (and or tank and seat). There's actually nothing wrong with my present tank other than I left a couple of dents in it and have never bothered to go to a real paint job. I liked the look of the flat white primer and have never changed it.

I'd encourage anyone who wants more volume than the tw clarke tank to go xt350 (oem metal or Clarke xt350 either one). The fit is not a problem at all.

Anyone know anything else thats worth stealing off of an xt350? Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

"Anyone know anything else thats worth stealing off of an xt350?"

Lots of things worth swiping from XT's in general, be they 225's, 250's, 350's or 600's.

Speedo cable and the speedo fit post '01's, speedo fits early models but only with the early TW cable., if yours doesn't have a resetable trip meter. XT's do. Cables are longer, work well for taller bars or risers. Ditto for front brake hose and clutch cables, levers, perches, mirror mounts and mirrors and some of the switchgear. XT handlebars are taller and wider than wimpy TW's.

Rear brake arm fits TW and is longer, for more leverage. The brake rod might work with an extended swingarm.

Oil tank from an XT600 would make a great side-mounted spare fuel tank if you could finagle a way to mount it.

Kickstand works for taller tires or shocks. And if it's too long, it's easier to shorten an XT stand than to lengthen a TW stand. The shock itself may be a potential swap. Haven't looked into that yet. Kickstand springs, safety and brake light switches are sometimes interchangeable, depending on year. Snail adjusters are the same.

Nuts, bolts, cable clamps, footpegs and tons of other items adaptable to TW's for various purposes. Headlight mount same as TW., etc. etc. Put your thinking cap on before you ditch the leftovers from any Yamaha product.

I view every bike ever made as a potential parts source, for that matter. I've got XT, TT, ATC, Ninja and even Goldwing items on mine.

Edit: I forgot about the YZ and KLR parts

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Here's a pic of my new seat (pic swiped from JS5owner), basically a modified version of Davedyno's grafting method and the 350 foam. I had to saw off more of the TW seat because my tank is mounted further rearward than some, so my seat was an inch or so shorter overall and the foam fit perfectly for length. Consequently I used more of the front portion of the XT350 seat and slightly less drastic surgery than Davedyno's.

I literally did this overnight in prep for JS5owner's ride, so no pics of the process. Consult Davedyno's post referenced above for the general idea, but really do some staring at both seats before cutting ANYTHING. Do this wrong and you'll end up with 2 scrap seat pans.

Problem solved. The seat is thicker, softer and more nearly level now, and as a bonus I can now ride as comfortably standing up as I can sitting down by locking my legs behind the "waist" of the seat. Ordinarily I dislike plush seats, but this one rawks!

Keep the mod pics coming. Lots of room for improvement on the stock seat/tank combo.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Here is a relatively 'cheap' option that affords you room to store more stuff, or move your load forward. It seems many of us ride solo, so this will not require that we leave the Wife behind. I purchased my Honda 'abc' seat off E-Bay for around $50. It was an 'easy' job mounting it, and for comfort, an Airhawk cushion is great. Just another option, Gerry

SanDue likes this.
    Take care my Friend.........

Lizrdbrth, Thanks for the parts rundown. I figure if the xt350 gets to the 50 or 100 price range, it may be worth stacking in the backyard next to my tw parts bike. Hey, my backyard is big enough that only my wife could see the aggregation of mc's. I'm jealous of Gerry's solo seat. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Thanks Tom, but at 62, getting my leg between the box and the tank, then up over the seat can be a challenge. Silly me, never thought of that before the mod. Then again, sure looks nice. Gerry

SanDue likes this.
    Take care my Friend.........

Sponosred Links