Trailer Wheel (TW) Mod for the TW200 - Page 45
Close

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast
Like Tree1074Likes

Thread: Trailer Wheel (TW) Mod for the TW200

My XT and TTR Keep their distance when I have a wrench in hand.. lol. Actually, the ones on my xt and ttr are not nice enough to steal for the tw. Sooner or later eBay will give a nice one up
    TW-Brian likes this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

So for everyone who has done the trailer wheel mod, What sprocket size are you running and are you happy with your choice? Obviously, most people who do the mod are exclusively or at least mostly running off road. I'm in the process of doing it now and am getting all the parts together and want to order a sprocket from sprockets specialties. Right now I've been running the stock rear tire with a 54 tooth on the rear. Top speed is about 50-55 but cruises real nice about 45, which is fine. I ride about 90% off road and 10% on road maybe a quick trip to the store. I realize to trailer tire mod is going to require more power to turn that heavy wheel and tire. I should also mention I weigh in about 245. I'm also considering a dual sprocket (rear) so I guess I'm asking how low is too low for gearing?
    Last edited by OldSchoolbus; 04-28-2018 at 06:51 PM.

I have run 55, 60 and 66 tooth rear sprockets and do not consider any of those to be "too low". For the riding that you described, I would recommend that you go with a 60 tooth sprocket (or either a 59 or 61 tooth, if you want to even out the wear).

Here is JMPNFSH's 57/72 rear combo.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A 60 sprocket is a good starting point. If it turns out you want more low end then you can change out the front sprocket to a 13.
    Last edited by Stufidmotard; 04-29-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    turbodieseli4i6 likes this.

Wanted to bump this up and suggest that anotger untried way to get an atv style rim on the rear is to try converting the rear hub and wheel from an older suzuki van van. I have one I might try out and see if it works. Its basically identical to the set uhh p I have on m y tw that I fabricated. This picture doesnt show the details but it is a atv style hub that bolts up to a 14? Inch rim

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk
    TW-Brian and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny-Wheel-200 View Post
    Wanted to bump this up and suggest that anotger untried way to get an atv style rim on the rear is to try converting the rear hub and wheel from an older suzuki van van. I have one I might try out and see if it works. Its basically identical to the set uhh p I have on m y tw that I fabricated. This picture doesnt show the details but it is a atv style hub that bolts up to a 14? Inch rim

i like the "horizontal" shock set up... is that for a different take on "bump starting?"

curious to see what you figure out for the rim adaptation.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

So after a few measurements it appears that my idea to use this wheel as a way to have a 12 inch rear atv tire on the tw w/o u of work with some modification though I'm unlikely to follow through on it. These are sweet little bikes!

Anyone update on these wheel conversions? Anyone making hub assemblies from stock rather than modifying an old hub? I can probably make my own but don't want to take my wheel apart just to get dimensions. I would nice if they were available from a CNC shop somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Denn View Post
    Anyone update on these wheel conversions? Anyone making hub assemblies from stock rather than modifying an old hub? I can probably make my own but don't want to take my wheel apart just to get dimensions. I would nice if they were available from a CNC shop somewhere?
    Forum member Studifmotard's (sic) hub is made completely from scratch and doesn't use any parts from a TW rear hub. You do not need to disassemble a TW hub/rim and can keep it intact. For Studifmotards's, you buy the hub from/through him, purchase your rim of choice, and tire of choice. While you're gathering all this you can continue to ride your TW.

Studifmotard's made from scratch is the hub on the left in this photo
    (the brake drum not attached yet). The hub on the right was a hub made by TW-Brians acquaintance with using TW hub parts. There are a few other forum members who've made the trailer wheel conversion using different methods.

Mel, Fred, Sthrnromr and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

My advice is to buy a tw hub on eBay and go from there. You'll still have your old wheel intact but if your experience is like mine you'll never use it again!

Fred and turbodieseli4i6 like this.

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Sponosred Links