Front tire choices - Page 36
Close

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536
Like Tree336Likes

Thread: Front tire choices

I put a Shinko 241 on mine tonight. I took one lap around the neighborhood and I didn't crash so I guess it is good so far

I'm hoping to hit some back country later this week.

The 241 looks interesting but what about the fact that it's not intended for extended highway use?

What is "extended" ? An hour? 5 hours? 30 min???

On shinko's Canadian site there is not a trace of this warning, only on the American site.

Just order it from a Canadian site and you'll be all set.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

OSHAWA, ONTARIO, FASCISTVILLE (I MEAN CANADA).
    Did some good test'n of the Kenda Klassic K257D, 4.60-18-4-ply. Super grip, super stable in sand, rolls nice on cement (although I would not corner like motogp on it. Tall side-knob squirm). I highly recamend it, if you'all are doing a lot of offroading.

BIG MEAT.jpg

Looks mean too.
    littletommy likes this.

I have had 4 TWs since 1987 and I ride about 90% on dirt and 10% on low speed low volume paved roads......I use whatever tires at whatever tire pressure (18 psi ?) they came from the factory with....have had zero problems....
    Last edited by bartruff; 06-13-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Junior Member Usadventureracing's Avatar
    Due to my location I will probably be riding more paved roads than dirt so are folks recommendations for tires? I have the stock tires on at the moment and so far they had been fine.

The Bridgestone TW34 (stock rear) with a Shinko 241 up front will cover most things — although the 241 is fairly soft so it will wear more rapidly, but again, for 50 bucks it’s not that bad, and gives you excellent off road capability

The “road going” tires for the TW, are the Bridgestone TW203 and TW204 combination. There’s a pair in our classifieds as today. Bit pricey (not the ones on sale here), but hard wearing very grippy tires on tarmac

$_35.JPG

Not so hot off road as you can tell by the tread pattern, but with care, they will still get you most places

I believe Shinko does a similar tire, slightly cheaper, check fleabay for model numbers

As these “road tires” are best on tarmac when they keep their profile, you can up the tire pressures to 22psi to 25psi quite happily, which improves top speed and mpg — lower the psi to 18 or less for off road as you would expect. Running tarmac constantly at lower pressures will result in a “flat profile” on these, so carry a small pump with you

Although the TW34 rear is excellent at both on road and off, try not to mix knobblies with smoother road tires — it’s not good for the handling at all

But get rid of the stock front while you’re ahead — it’ll catch you out eventually ….

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/per...re-thread.html
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Senior Member Soulprogression108's Avatar
    Well I just spent the evening reading almost this whole post and I’m no closer to picking a front. I’m in need soon and was close to ordering a k270 5.10 but now i think it’s too big. I need something 50/50 ideally. I ride a good amount on pavement and can’t afford to give up good handling there but desperately need better traction off-road than the stock. Mud, clay, sand, dirt, gravel, roots, rock reggae you name it it’s here. And often all in one trail. EVERYthing but snow and ice thankfully 😅

Went out for my first "real" trail riding last weekend at Hollister Hills. I've only had one motorcycle before, and that was a 1976 Honda Hawk 400 in 1998. So, I didn't exactly get any dirt experience on that. I do have quite a bit of mountain bike experience at a pretty advanced level, so I'm familiar with what a good tire feels like in the dirt.

Anyway, I've got about 1,100 miles on my TW now and FINALLY found out what all of you guys mean by "Death Wing". I was all over the place on the dry, dusty trails up there having one close call after another for a solid hour before I finally ate shit. So, now I've got a new line item -motorcyle crash- to add to my life experiences list. Luckily I came out of it with only bruises and scrapes, and the bike only got a few scratches on the cycleracks and the hand guards. I've got a brand new Shinko 241 sitting next to me ready to mount up tomorrow night. Also ordered some boots - it was also scary planting my foot in my hiking shoes a few times when the death wing washed out!

I'll post the results of how the 241 performs after I get out again, hopefully over the weekend.

Just an update and another vote for the 241. I got back out to Hollister last weekend - WOW - what a difference the Shinko 241 makes over the stock DeathWing! It's like a new bike. Heading up to the Sierras this weekend, so we'll see how it performs in some different conditions.
    Tweaker and cateyetech like this.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Sponosred Links