TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Luggage rack choices

235K views 254 replies 140 participants last post by  Fred 
#1 ·
I've had my TW for four days, just licensed it today, and I know that I need a rear luggage rack. I plan to use the bike for errands around town so I need cargo capacity.

I really like the Cycleracks version. That's one big, beefy rack they have there. It's the most expensive option I've found but it also looks bigger than the rest and there's another big issue. The bike has no turn signals. I've ordered some universal aftermarket lights. The mounting holes for the rear signals has a big hole so I'll probably have to bodge them on with some washers and a bushing somehow. Some of the racks I've found online appear to mount to those points so I'm leery of complicating that whole deal. The Cyclerack doesn't appear to use those as mounting points so that's definitely a plus for them.

I also found this rack at Happytrails.com. I know lots of KLR guys swear by their stuff. Does anyone have experience with this rack? It looks like they've repositioned the turn signals.

Then there's the Moose Expedition rack:

It looks like that one doesn't use the turn signal holes for the mount but it may not be as solid as Cycleracks.

Of course there's always the Yamaha version which I'm sure a lot of you folks use. The other options are all a little cheaper than Cycleracks but I rarely buy something just because it's cheaper.

Suggestions anyone?

I think I need a tool roll or something up front to keep the registration and odds and ends in. Any suggestions? I don't think I need a whole rack up there. I was looking at this guy but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Still haven't removed the seat yet. It looks like I'll have to get a new tool to get those mounting bolts off. The PO said something about a tool kit and I suppose it must be under the seat somewhere, right? ( I haven't even downloded the owner's manual yet.) If that's the case, I'll have to have a tool to get to the tool kit. Another reason to get a fork bag.

See less See more
#176 · (Edited)
I do like that front rack. Personally if I were to get one I would weld on a small loop on each side to keep a set of small saddle bags over it to keep them off the suspension and tire. Even with the ones that are over the top of the light this would be a good way to hang some lightweight amenities.

One mentioned the registration papers. I put mine in a pill bottle that us old timers get from the pharmacies. They are water tight and can hold up a folded/rolled paper. I just put it in with the oem toolbag.

#180 ·
+1 on the Cycle Racks. They are the most expensive but well worth it IMO. You can fit a bunch on them and this rack gives almost unlimited options to mount a top case or whatever. They are rugged too. I also bought the pannier racks that fit onto the Cycle Rack and mounted boxes on those. They come of quick and easy if you want. If i recall the pannier set up was an additional $69 bucks when i bought mine last year. I am sure prices are on the website. Don was a pleasure to deal with and it is not any Made in China crap.

#185 ·
I needed to be able to carry small passels only .
I never liked the look of the steel or aluminum racks and am a habitual tinkerer....
This is what I came up with.....

View attachment 18136
Nice look, very nice. ...and gee dang it, I had to lookup what "passels" meant, though I had a slight idea.

...and, and, it reminds me of the Woody Station Wagon. TW and Woody in the same mechanical vintage era?:p

#191 ·
My TW came with a Cycleracks rear on it with a roto-pax 1 gal fuel can bolted to the back. I went off-roading for about 30 min and the subframe bracket it bolts to snapped clean off, causing it to bounce around, which then broke the lower right mounting tab. The subframe bridge is made out of very cheap pot metal, you can bend it by hand. Not for carrying a lot of weight, especially on rough terrain. I had a buddy TIG the tab back onto the rack but don't plan on using it again.

#199 ·
I bought one for my bike last year I think it was $199.

#200 ·
That TCI rack was my wish list item. Too late to get one and I am not sure the new owners have them available. The rear Cycleracks is fantastic. Sure wish the front one was above the Iight, though.

Reactions: JerseyJeeper
#205 ·
I just went down and put my name on a new TW yesterday but have to wait 'til next week to take delivery. I know that I want a rear rack and I know that I want something more substantial than the OEM rack. I'm leaning toward a cyclerack but, damn, they're kind of clunky looking. I'll seldom haul much more than a lunchbox or a bag of groceries so that wide, wide platform on the cyclerack is a little extreme. I've had 3+ hip replacements so throwing my leg over a stock bike is difficult enough, the wide rack is just something to get hung up on.

When I decide to man up and buy the rack I'll have to choose between HUMP/NO HUMP. Does anybody have strong feelings on that choice?

#206 ·
Cyclerack is a good choice. Iv'e had mine from day 1. One thing I have my wife do to make it easier to mount the bike is to use the peg. FYI, If I had it to do over I would get the NO HUMP model. It was not avl when I bought ours.

Reactions: littletommy
#208 ·
I installed the vertical hump model from Cycle Racks. Very well built and I'm impressed with it. Regret not getting the no hump version after trying to mount a top box. Any suggestion what would fit there neatly but not block the seat? I don't want to have to unbolt a top box in order to remove the seat for battery or fuse access.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.