Seat Bolt Thread Stripped
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Seat Bolt Thread Stripped

Seat Bolt Thread Stripped

Ok first I would like to say its good to back here. Was on the original forums around 2008 and missed the move...needless to say I have no idea what my user name was back then so I am back starting fresh.

SO my question is how should I go about fixing my seat to the frame since the plastic threading is completely stripped from under the seat where the bolt goes in. So my bolt just falls out. I had a few inspectors deny my bike for my inspection cause my seat wasn't being held mechanically to the frame....which I suppose I don't blame them.

ALSO before I go real quick, does anyone know if you "legally" need your front fork boots for inspection? I am planning on redoing the whole fork area afterwards but I need the to get it on the road like last week. Thanks guys

Plastic threads? Mine has a metal insert. Perhaps a larger one in 8mm thread. Also I've never heard of anyone checking on fork boots unless their torn and the seals are leaking.

"Thread cert" Basically nuts with threads on the outside and inside. Look in the hardware area at Lowes or Ace Hardware.

These little wonders come in many sizes & shapes for in'cert'ing in wood, aluminium, plastic, etc..

Buy a pair and some bolts to match then fit them to the seat by enlarging the original holes. After you get them to fit, a bit of Gorilla Glue, or other sealer will hold them in place.
    Fred likes this.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    You can also buy Pop Rivets that are threaded on the inside.
    Fred likes this.
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

Hmm its a 89 so maybe years of abuse allowed them to fall out. Lol that would explain so much. I think I have tried a larger size in the past and it only worked for a quick fix. Is there anything perment that I could do instead?

Well that's the problem with the fork boots currently...they are stock. So they are faded a nice pink and they have slits in their accordion folds. Was told to change them about an decade ago but super glued them back together instead. So I thought if I could take them off for the moment (before I replace the steering stem ball-bearings and change fork oil) to get inspected I would just put them on during that mess. Thats why I was wondering if it was technically required for inspection.
    20140324_165741.jpg

Not required in NY, don't know about PA but I doubt it. Call an inspection station and find out for sure.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

r.e. stripped seat bolt threads look at thread #6 in "mule nuts?" post for pins coming out of seat which hold seat on retained by clips through pins. I suggest this because the thread repairs listed above while should work they may ultimately fail again. Pins once installed need never be removed again. Shucks, pins might even just be glued into existing damaged seat threads w/o having to first repair threads

I put shouldered studs in my seat (with locktite) and have long threaded nuts. Easier to put seat on and just put nut on stud that goes thru frame.
    Fred likes this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

I use T-nuts a lot for places where I need a fixed nut in a hidden place. I've never tried one in a seat pan but I'm sure it would work. You'd have to undo part of the seat cover to get access, take out the stripped nut, and if there's enough material to hold the t-nut, install it. If the spot where the old nut was is boogered up too much to hold a nut you can glue (or otherwise attach) some material to the inside of the pan. Even a piece of wood would work. Anything to hold the nut.

Here's some pics. Just drill a hole for the center part then thread a bolt into it and the barbs will suck into the material and stay there....ready to be used over and over.

Image2.jpg
    Image1.jpg

Tirebiter, could you find "blind nuts" or "t-nuts" in metric sizes? They are very handy for a lot of projects and would work very well for Bluefox's seat. Great suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links