To Goop or not to Goop?
Close

My left crankcase cover has a slight seep-leak on the forward top edge. Enough that I want to replace it.

This was a brand new gasket that I installed when I rebuilt the top end a month or so ago.

I installed it without putting anything on it that time, should I have done that?

I was thinking about putting on some grey silicone gasket maker this time.

Any suggestions?

thanks

I don't like to use the stuff as I'm afraid it may break off and clog an oil port.I may however use Copper Coat on a problem gasket.

I avoid the stuff as well, but if you gotta use it there's a right and wrong way.

Use it sparingly in the offending area. Allow it to tack up for 5-10 minutes before joining the two parts together, then let it sit overnight before filling the crankcase or starting the motor. This will minimize the chance of small globs detaching and finding their way into your oil filter.

Change your oil and clean your filter within 100 miles and you should be good to go.

Copper Kote or even copper colored sray paint is mobetta, as X pointed out. A bit of a pain to apply by sparaying on the narrow edge surface of a sidecover. Try spraying some into the cap of the spray can and apply it with a hobby brush.

Oh, and a little Phillip's Milk of Magnesia from the drugstore works as well as Nevr-Sieze on the cover screws, without the mess.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

if i were to use a "goop" on it, i would suggest indian head shellac (napa part # 765-1229). it's been around for years unchanged, i guess you can't improve perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by igofar View Post
    My left crankcase cover has a slight seep-leak on the forward top edge. Enough that I want to replace it.

This was a brand new gasket that I installed when I rebuilt the top end a month or so ago.

I installed it without putting anything on it that time, should I have done that?

I was thinking about putting on some grey silicone gasket maker this time.

Any suggestions?

thanks

I do not like Goop for the break off in the engine also all those plastic gears really don't like chewing gum of any kind.

Sponosred Links