Check Valve Clearance
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have the TW200 manual on CD and I can't seem to find where they recommend checking valve clearances? Does anyone know what mileages they recommend doing this.

I bought a slightly used bike (a 2007 - w/under 1000 miles), and although changed the oil/filter right away didn't do much else. Now had it in a shop with almost 3,000 miles and asked them to check the valve clearances while there which they did adjust saying they all needed adjustment.

Is there a "usual interval" for this?

Thanks,

Eric

My copy of the " '01 and newer supplement" says check the valves cold at 600, 4000, 7000, 10000, & 13000.

The manuals and parts catalog are out all over the web, but when you are asking a question and getting an answer its nice to have the docs right there.

So there they are -

Main Manual

Parts Catalog

2001 & newer supplement

Owners Manual
    Hold back the edges of your gowns, Ladies, we are going through hell.

Quote Originally Posted by jimgoose View Post
    My copy of the " '01 and newer supplement" says check the valves cold at 600, 4000, 7000, 10000, & 13000.

Ok thanks... somewhere I have a copy of one of the manuals, but I looked through it and didn't see that info. So thanks very much, maybe mine is incomplete, or ??

Eric

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

There is some info in another thread which talks about how to check and/or adjust the valve clearances in case you are the type who likes to do that sort of thing: http://twforumc.tmdhosting610.com/in...-answers-yall/

I don't know if I'll ever do it myself or not because I have a dealer who does it real cheap, but it doesn't sound too hard----particularly if you are just checking the clearances to see if they are close to spec.

Corey
    two 2009 TWs, Ricochet skidplates, Moose Racing 'Expedition' rack (like a Borrega), DID 428V O-ring chains, DMoto2 -style black steel footpegs from eBay

too set you valve clearince is very simple, no need four a delership to be infolved.with moter cold find you top dead center, remove u valve covers, get a pieces off computer printer paper, tear of a strip off it that fit in the clearinces easely. printer papers measer abot.004 so it will werk to ajust both valves.intakes is suposted to be .002-.004 and exhost is .004-.006.when they is tite enouf you will hear a squeek from the paper as you mofe it back and forth.keep papers dry so u can hear the noise it make, u will feel it two.i just do mine on my 09 twoday.only think was it was pain in but too get the valve cover screw out on left hand side off bike on intakes sides. these my 2 sents for these post.

fontintown firmarshel,

tenny

Quote Originally Posted by jimgoose View Post

The manuals and parts catalog are out all over the web, but when you are asking a question and getting an answer its nice to have the docs right there.

So there they are -

Main Manual

Parts Catalog

2001 & newer supplement

Owners Manual

Great info there Jimgoose. Thanks for posting.
    2001 TW200 4500 miles

Quote Originally Posted by underthewheel View Post
    too set you valve clearince is very simple, no need four a delership to be infolved.with moter cold find you top dead center, remove u valve covers, get a pieces off computer printer paper, tear of a strip off it that fit in the clearinces easely. printer papers measer abot.004 so it will werk to ajust both valves.intakes is suposted to be .002-.004 and exhost is .004-.006.when they is tite enouf you will hear a squeek from the paper as you mofe it back and forth.keep papers dry so u can hear the noise it make, u will feel it two.i just do mine on my 09 twoday.only think was it was pain in but too get the valve cover screw out on left hand side off bike on intakes sides. these my 2 sents for these post.

fontintown firmarshel,

tenny

Friggin' cheap-ass shade tree mechanics. A full set of feeler gauges is about $4. Buy a set and do it right. By the way, a square drive drywall screw with a short piece of 1/2-inch wood dowel for a handle makes a dandy tool for holding the adjustment screw while tightening the locknut. Much easier to use than Yamaha's special $13 tool.

i finds it intersting that you says no too using the paper, and two use feeler gage, but them you go on and sugest too uses a drywall screw amd doweling rods insted of the yameha tool.so my ways is wrong but yous is right becos the correct by books tool cost more?as you demenstrates with you shortcut,these is not rokets sience to werk in these moters (or any moter four that mater)...aneyway just thot id chime in on these revelaten..got two go

fontintown firmarshel,

tenny

Quote Originally Posted by underthewheel View Post
    i finds it intersting that you says no too using the paper, and two use feeler gage, but them you go on and sugest too uses a drywall screw amd doweling rods insted of the yameha tool.so my ways is wrong but yous is right becos the correct by books tool cost more?as you demenstrates with you shortcut,these is not rokets sience to werk in these moters (or any moter four that mater)...aneyway just thot id chime in on these revelaten..got two go

fontintown firmarshel,

tenny

Yup, something like that. Paper is not consistent in thickness, which will provide inconsistent results. The homemade tool works, providing more consistent results than the Yamaha tool. I actually have the Yamaha tool, tried to use it, and tossed it aside and finished Tdub's first valve adjustment with a box wrench and small needle nose pliars. It's not about cost, it's about quality workmanship. You are correct that these engines are not real picky. Experienced wrenches like you and I can adequately set valves on TWs just by wiggling the rocker with one finger. Newbies really need to learn to do it right, the first time.

Are these manuals valid for the 2010 tw200z?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links