Looking to buy a TW125 but seller says no spark
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking to buy a TW125 but seller says no spark

Hi Looking to buy a TW125, 2004 model with 30k on the clock. Has MOT and Tax but seller has said that it wont start as no spark. Will be my first bike and hoping to some minor modifications to suit dual purpose.

Claiming to have been advised by a bike shop near them that all it needs is a new CDI Box.

I am hoping some of you guys with great knowledge can advise if this is likely to be the case? I looking for an answer quick as going to look and potential buy the bike in 2 days.

If not likely to be the CDI, what else could be causing the problem? Being offered bike for £360 so a bargain. How likely is it to be UN-FIXABLE and last thing i want to do is waste £360.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

How Close are you to the bike? Is the seller keen on you doing some checks on the bike prior you buying it?
    It would be wise to take up a multimeter and do some checks. For a used CDI you are looking at £60, If you are close to me (Scotland) I could lend you my CDI for a day or two to check if it will work. Changing the CDI is like a 2 minute job.

Hi noreek. Seller is 2 hour drive away. I am taking my brother who is a bit of a mechanical whiz so hoping he can asses, he rides KTM so not going to be totally familier with the TW bikes and engines.

Seller has no issue with inspecting prior to purchase and going to see him this Sunday, i am hopign to be bringing it home with me for sure!

Unfortunately not close to Scotland otherwise i would take you up on the offer. Wouldn't be opposed to sending a courier to collect and re-deliver it back to you if i buy the bike, but expense of that I may aswell risk the £60 on a CDI.

I have looked into the CDI replacement and £60 is not a deal breaker for me, just curious if the guys on here who are obv familiar with these bikes knew of any other checks to carry out before parting with cash.

I have seen mention of stand switch/sensors etc. but if anyone can give me a list of obvious things to check when viewing the bike that may be causing the issue i would be very happy as i am keen to get a TW125 to get riding on a CBT with a potential view to going to the TW200 in a year or so. Would prob keep the 125 as well and have 2 lol.

Do the TW ever really die and how likely would it be a totally write off/dead bike, i'm not sure as very new to this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I cannot help you as my experience in electrics is close to none. It seems like you are really excited to buy this bike, at that price it really isn't a bad deal. TW's don't die, they just need a little love and time to come back to life again, they are very forgiving. So if worse comes to worse you arent looking to spend a fortune to get it back and running and even then you are still below the usual price of £1000 for a TW in UK.

Worth a shot i guess.

Are you riding a TW200 or TW125?

If 200 i guess a bit more grunt, i will be ahpyop fi i can plod along at 40 lol and do some minor offroad trials on the 125. habve you any experience of the 125cc?

Tracing an electrical gremlin is never particularly easy. How does the seller know it is the CDI unit? Ask him to explain how he came to that conclusion. It could as easily be the side stand cut off switch or some of the circuitry related to that. Does the 125 have a kick starter as stock parts or is it pure electric start.
    I am inclined to be cautious about electrical issues - they are like ghosts.
    But the price he is offering it for seems reasonable especially if your brother can get a feel for the sellers real reason for selling the bike.

Yeah I have a 125cc. Its great, very similar to the 200cc It just goes a bit slower but i can easily go 50-55mph and I haven't properly restored it yet.

He says a local bike place he took it to said it was the CDI Box. I am not saying i don't believe him just wanted some input from people who know (you guys) as to wether a CDI box could cause this issue?

Look forward to your response

The spark on the TW can be very difficult to see. If there is no spark it could be a bad connection some where which is an easy / free fix. That was my experience with "no spark".

Buy it and if it doesn't work out you can part it out and get most, if not all of your money back.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigBallshack View Post
    Hi Looking to buy a TW125, 2004 model with 30k on the clock. Has MOT and Tax but seller has said that it wont start as no spark. Will be my first bike and hoping to some minor modifications to suit dual purpose.

Claiming to have been advised by a bike shop near them that all it needs is a new CDI Box.

I am hoping some of you guys with great knowledge can advise if this is likely to be the case? I looking for an answer quick as going to look and potential buy the bike in 2 days.

If not likely to be the CDI, what else could be causing the problem? Being offered bike for £360 so a bargain. How likely is it to be UN-FIXABLE and last thing i want to do is waste £360.

Look forward to hearing from you all.
    Hu where are you getting the bike from? I am also have same problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links