Rear sub-frame compatability
Close

Rear sub-frame compatability

Rear sub-frame on my nephew's '98 got bent in Texas. No question we can straighten it, but I found an '03 piece in good shape for twenty bucks. Will it fit?
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I actually was rough enough on my TW that I broke the sub-frame off. A bolt on one side had rattled loose and the weight of my box and rack back there caused the remaining portion of the frame support to snap. The back fender was all that held everything together.

I disassembled and stripped down the back part of the frame, jigged it together straight, added a reinforcement bar and welded it back together. It seems stronger than it was originally and haven't had any trouble with it since.

As far as interchangeability between different years of TW, I don't know. I have a nice shop and if it is metal, I can usually fix it.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

Yes .

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Roninboise View Post
    I disassembled and stripped down the back part of the frame, jigged it together straight, added a reinforcement bar and welded it back together. It seems stronger than it was originally and haven't had any trouble with it since.

As far as interchangeability between different years of TW, I don't know. I have a nice shop and if it is metal, I can usually fix it.
    exactly what i did via an $80 dollar bill. i offered unsolicited advice to the guy at the shop i took it to, all based on ronnydog's pictures.
    i still need to paint mine, but it feels sturdy.

i need more space to acquire these skills....
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

All good. I guess I should have been more specific, If I straightened it, I was going to cut it at the point that failed, insert a solid rod and gusset it. Got the shop and tools for that. But I have so many things around the farm that are broken and in need of repair, and of course there is that three ring notebook with all my project ideas.... I figured if I could fix the problem for twenty bucks I would and move on. The boys can dismantle and re-assemble without Uncle Borneo, but the repair and upgrade would require my contribution. Chances are I will get to eventually try both options, that boy is hard on stuff. Based on what TW-Brian said, I'm going to post my twenty bucks plus ship and close out the task. I appreciate the help and input, as always.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Sponosred Links