TW200 Valve Adjust Instruction Tutorial wanted
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cptrout

Thread: TW200 Valve Adjust Instruction Tutorial wanted

I know there's a pinned thread posted by Wes, and I appreciate his time and effort, for adjusting XT225 valves and that it's suppose to be similar to the TW but for some of us that's not good enough for a variety of reasons.

If one or more of you incredibly knowledgeable guys would put together a concise tutorial on adjusting the valves on the TW200 myself and I'm sure others would be greatful beyond words.

I still thank DXNomad everytime I change my oil.
    grewen likes this.

The only difference between the pinned tutorial on the XT and doing the valves on the TW is that you do not have tank shrouds and the clearances are different. The rest is the same.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

This page is very detailed: http://yamaha.tw.free.fr/jeu_soupapes_tw.htm

It's in French but you can translate it and it's full of images. It's about the TW125 but clearances are the same.
    Red Max - 1996 TW200 - 14/45, 320mm toothed brake disc, X-Racing titanium exhaust, Ricochet skid plate, Mule hitch pins, large pegs, VeeRubber VRM274&275 tires

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sinophilia View Post
    This page is very detailed: http://yamaha.tw.free.fr/jeu_soupapes_tw.htm

It's in French but you can translate it and it's full of images. It's about the TW125 but clearances are the same.

That is a good site. Good pictures.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    That is a good site. Good pictures.

Adding a bit of information. The square top of the valve adjustment screw exactly matches a S2 square drive screw. Most square drive deck screws use a S2 drive bit. Buy / scrounge / find a square drive deck screw, run it into a round dowel or end of a broom stick, and you have the perfect valve adjustment screw holder.
    Huntsville, Alabama - Have TW, Will Ride! All White 09 TW, D2Moto Pegs, Bridgestone 302 front tire, 2" higher bars, 3/4" fork preload spacer, 5wt Honda fork oil, 135mm fork oil level, exhaust tip mod, 2.5 turns out fuel mixture, 0.060 in needle shims, 130 main jet, 14/47 sprockets, 20w-50 Valvoline MC full synthetic oil, ImmixRacing rear rack, Bilt Bag on Rack, 1" front fender spacers, Battery Tender connections on new battery (installed 12/11), Coleman ATV seat cushion, 2 Agri Supply tool tubes, 30oz MSR Fuel Bottle, auxiliary 6 LED tail light, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 headlight bulb, 2357 turn signals, and Superbright's 1157 LED Motorcycle Tail Light Bulb with 19 red & 6 white LEDs. Shortened rear turn signals. Bypassed kickstand switch.

Plus a "new to me" 1995 Yamaha Virago XV 750G for Pavement Purposes!!

Wet side of the mountains, Washington State
    Howdy All,

Looking at the video it seems like a pretty simple operation to set the valves on the "older" TW's this would be true on my 1988 as it has the old style carb on it as does the bike in the video. However taking a look at the 2010 TW it has a new style carb on it that has the throttle cables routed just behind the intake valve cover, it looks like it might be a bit of a pain in the arse to get tools, feeler gages and fingers into the area needed to adjust this valve. So the question to those who have done this work on the bikes with the newer style carb, how much of a pain is it or I am seeing a problem where one doesn't really exist? Thanks for any guidance you can offer.
    ALL brand motorcycle lover and rider, long distance cross country rider, logging road and two track rider, year round sidecar rider. I have been told since young to grow up and act my age, I ain't doin it, I am too busy living my life even if it kills me. Visit my photo web site, ( Hidden Content )

I take my Clarke fuel tank off, loosen the two carb clamps, remove the fuel line and twist the carb a little so it's out of my way.

Hey Jake, NICE JOB!! Thanks so much for the extra effort. This is what makes this such a Great Forum. Can I post a link to your tutorial on the TW200 Wikipedia site? Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
    Hey Jake, NICE JOB!! Thanks so much for the extra effort. This is what makes this such a Great Forum. Can I post a link to your tutorial on the TW200 Wikipedia site? Gerry

go for it! add a disclaimer for me though lol

Sponosred Links