Carb driving me crazy
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Carb driving me crazy

Carb driving me crazy

I have ripped my carburetor apart twice now. My question is, I am missing a jet somewhere that may have gummed up do to varnish and does anyone have any ideas?
    20140426_153159.jpg

I checked partzilla (LINK- PART #4) out and I can see that I think there is a pilot jet still missing i haven't found. Is it under that one hole( I have a arrow pointing to it with a ?)? If so how do you get access to it and could that be clogged up?

I got the carb to run for maybe 10 sec max each time and it was with the assistance of carb spray each time. It appears no gas is getting to it cause once the spray is gone it just dies. I cleaned the air box to so its not an air issue and the muffler is venting so its not a compression issue.

The arrows that say "cleaned" in green are where the main jet and pilot jet go. The other "cleaned" is where the float needle goes. The ? is a brass plug that prevents tampering to the idle mixture screw. Find a sheet metal screw, drywall screw, or something similar and drill a small hole in brass plug, screw in screw and pop out brass plug. Be careful not to hit the screw underneath with the drill or it may screw it in so tight it will damage it. That screw needs to come out when doing a carb clean. There is also a spring and O-ring under the screw, maybe a washer, I don't remember, don't lose them.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    The arrows that say "cleaned" in green are where the main jet and pilot jet go. The other "cleaned" is where the float needle goes. The ? is a brass plug that prevents tampering to the idle mixture screw. Find a sheet metal screw, drywall screw, or something similar and drill a small hole in brass plug, screw in screw and pop out brass plug. Be careful not to hit the screw underneath with the drill or it may screw it in so tight it will damage it. That screw needs to come out when doing a carb clean. There is also a spring and O-ring under the screw, maybe a washer, I don't remember, don't lose them.
    I bet that's what that pilot jet piece is for that came with my rebuild kit. Cause I thought it was the other one and its way to thin to fit (the one next to the main jet). He's it next to my other in my carb that I thought it replaced (which I think was off a dirt bike) The only thing missing from the image is the spring that goes over it.
    20140426_162226.jpg

If that's all gummed up could that cause the bike not to get fuel?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

"If that's all gummed up could that cause the bike not to get fuel? "

Yes, positively.

Not to offend, but from your photo, that carb is far from clean.

If you haven't removed the cap over the pilot screw, the pilot circuit has not been cleaned.

If you have gone this far to remove the carb, go ahead and do a thorough job, which includes complete disassembly, and a soaking of the carb body.

There are internal air and fuel passageways that cannot be cleaned with a squirt of carb cleaner.

This is what a clean carb should look like. At the time of the cleaning it was 5 years old and had about 5,000 miles on it.

These may help:

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...ification.html

Don't be a Lazy Man

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...-cleaning.html

jb
    Last edited by jbfla; 04-28-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    fishguy and elime like this.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    "If that's all gummed up could that cause the bike not to get fuel? "

Yes, positively.

Not to offend, but from your photo, that carb is far from clean.

If you haven't removed the cap over the pilot screw, the pilot circuit has not been cleaned.

If you have gone this far to remove the carb, go ahead and do a thorough job, which includes complete disassembly, and a soaking of the carb body.

There are internal air and fuel passageways that cannot be cleaned with a squirt of carb cleaner.

This is what a clean carb should look like. At the time of the cleaning it was 5 years old and had about 5,000 miles on it.

These may help:

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...ification.html

Don't be a Lazy Man

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...-cleaning.html

jb
    Yeah, I understand. I just didn't go into detail on what I cleaned. The outer body is still disgusting to a degree but the internals are night and day compared to what it was.
    20140426_153133.jpg20140426_153159_20140428155547108.jpg

Well I did some serious reading on carbs yesterday. So that fuel mixture screw would be the main reason for my carb not working. For that's where the "primer" fuel gets sucked into the engine and causes the vacuum of the fuel out of the carb.
    Smaller_PWK_highlow_speed_animation.gif

When I first started the bike over with carb spray it didn't last at all. Now that I cleaned the air vacuum tubes out and they are flowing easily with fluid; when I attempt it now with the spray it lasts 3 times as long...but ends with starvation. So that means to me that I am almost there but that whole tube must be varnished up good and needs a good cleaning...if it ever stops raining here.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
    I bet that's what that pilot jet piece is for that came with my rebuild kit. Cause I thought it was the other one and its way to thin to fit (the one next to the main jet). He's it next to my other in my carb that I thought it replaced (which I think was off a dirt bike) The only thing missing from the image is the spring that goes over it.
    20140426_162226.jpg

If that's all gummed up could that cause the bike not to get fuel?
    "The only thing missing from the image is the spring that goes over it." Not correct! There is a tiny O ring that goes in the groove right behind where the missing spring sits.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    "The only thing missing from the image is the spring that goes over it." Not correct! There is a tiny O ring that goes in the groove right behind where the missing spring sits.

GaryL
    Lol, you're right. That was before I assembled it. It does have a tiny black o ring right in that notch and the spring goes on the bottom. Will update picture later before I replace it.

Got two questions for anyone that may remember.
    Does the internal Pilot screw have a hole in it for gas to get sucked into it? I would imagine. Mine has a top that has a hole in it but I cant seem to clear it if its a hole.

20140426_161932.jpg20140426_161946.jpg20140426_161958.jpg20140426_162225.jpg

Also next to the internal pilot screw is what I do believe is the overflow tube and gasket. Does that come out? And if so how? Its not in the parts blow up so wasn't sure if it even came out.
    20140426_153159_20140430084549163.jpg

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by bluefox; 04-30-2014 at 06:52 AM. Reason: missing parts

Quote Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
    Got two questions for anyone that may remember.
    Does the internal Pilot screw have a hole in it for gas to get sucked into it? I would imagine. Mine has a top that has a hole in it but I cant seem to clear it if its a hole.

Also next to the internal pilot screw is what I do believe is the overflow tube and gasket. Does that come out? And if so how? Its not in the parts blow up so wasn't sure if it even came out.

Thanks guys.
    The first picture is the pilot jet. The side holes are for air, and the end hole is for the fuel and air mixture. If the end hole is plugged, there is no fuel going through that circuit.

You should get a new pilot jet. If you drill or ream it out, the hole is likely not to be the correct size.

The tube in the last picture is the fuel pick up for the choke/enricher circuit. It does not come out.

You still need to remove the cap over the pilot screw, if you haven't done so.

jb
    Last edited by jbfla; 04-30-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    The first picture is the pilot jet. The side holes are for air, and the end hole is for the fuel and air mixture. If the end hole is plugged, there is no fuel going through that circuit.

You should get a new pilot jet. If you drill or ream it out, the hole is likely not to be the correct size.

The tube in the last picture is the fuel pick up for the choke/enricher circuit. It does not come out.

jb
    Was curious about that fuel pick up for the choke, can it be cleaned if it cant be removed?

Also I was just over here to edit my question about the Jet...yeah clearly clogged lol. Its a real shame really. The rebuild kit I bought didn't come with one. I am not sure I have a OEM one anyway cause the local guy that rebuilt it right after I got it had no idea about the fuel mixture pilot screw under that brass cap and couldn't for the life of him get that screw into the pilot jet location. Imagine that, its only completely too thin. So if my memory serves me right, that's another dirt bike pilot jet he scabbed in there to get it running. So I will just go and pick up another one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links