1990 no power/start
Close

1990 no power/start

Hello all new here and have spent a lot of time combing through the threads to see if this has been covered but have yet to find anything so decided to post.
    I recently was given a 1990 and it ran great when I got it. I rode it for about a week straight and then all of a sudden while riding it completely stopped. I pulled over and tried to start it using the electric starter but did not work. I eventually got it kick started and rode about a quarter mile where it died again and has not restarted. I also noticed that even after turning main switch to on I have no power. I checked the battery for voltage and it gave me 10.34 and water levels were good any other ideas. My father in law says these can run even without a battery but I'm not getting any kind of power all advice would be helpful thanks.

That battery voltage is way too low. It should be at least 12.5V. I would start with that.

rbm
    Will it run if you kick start it? How long was it sitting before you got it? Either way, you need a new battery.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

OK so start with battery and I'm unaware of how long it was sitting for. And no it won't start with a kick either I attempted that this morning

rbm
    Did you check your spark plug? While you have the plug out, put the wire on it and have someone hold it to the head while you kick it to see if you have spark.

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    I'd check the cursed kick stand safety switch. It loves to cause drama and can get jarred enough when riding to kill the bike. If you have good spark that would be my next step.

Even em with a dead battery you should be able to kick start it, I've had kick only bikes with no battery.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Make sure bike is in neutral when you try to start it. Having clutch lever in is not enough to let motor spin as freely as it needs to generate adequate spark to start. It all comes down to fuel and spark. Check them both. You can use an old fashioned timing light to see if you are getting spark, or do the spark plug against the block routine. Check that plug to see that its moist (i.e. getting gas to the cylinder). I'd bet its a bad connection or wire and you are coming up short for adequate juice to fire it. Patience is a virtue. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Take the kill switch apart and make sure the contacts are clean and functioning. Under the headlight there is a rats nest of wire connectors inside black rubber boots. Make sure all plastic junctions are fully connected and the contacts are clean in each. A loss of contact in one of those plastic connectors will cause the symptoms your describe, ask me how I know! If your battery is good and you turn the key to on the headlight and front blinkers should come on. If they don't then you have a bad connection. There is also a 10 amp fuse in the right side cover electrical box, check it.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Don't just "look" at the fuse. Check it with a continuity tester. Try to pull it apart. I have seen them to look and test ok but fall apart from corrosion when pulled. ALL electrical components can be either GOOD, BAD, or almost BAD. Its the 3rd category that's the problem.

In this case, if you have spark, I bet the gas filter screens in the tank are plugged plus, god knows what, in the carb. Clean, clean, clean.
    Last edited by fishguy; 04-30-2014 at 08:29 AM.

There is a wire under the seat that came unplugged on my 91 and it will not run. It had been hard to start before it quit running. After plugging the wire back in it starts on first or second kick. It does not need a battery to run.

Sponosred Links