Change the timing setting
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Change the timing setting

Change the timing setting

I have a 2006 TW with 2000 miles and have shimmed the needle, 130 main, 2 1/2 out on the pilot, adjusted the valves to the correct TDC setting on the gear. I still have a slight tapping noise at idle and high rpm. I would like to try to change the timing setting. Is there a way to advance/retard the timing setting? The timing chain looked tight when I took the cover off and no adjustment on the auto tensioner. I run non ethanol super premium.

Just a FYI, a slight tapping noise can be common even with properly adjusted valves.
    fandango likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleted View Post
    I have a 2006 TW with 2000 miles and have shimmed the needle, 130 main, 2 1/2 out on the pilot, adjusted the valves to the correct TDC setting on the gear. I still have a slight tapping noise at idle and high rpm. I would like to try to change the timing setting. Is there a way to advance/retard the timing setting? The timing chain looked tight when I took the cover off and no adjustment on the auto tensioner. I run non ethanol super premium.
    For 2001 and up TW's to advance or retard the timing, you'll have to remove the timing chain tensioner. Then you'll have to remove the timing cam bolt. Then you will have enough slack in the chain to move it over the cam sprocket teeth. I'm not smart enough to know which way to move it to advance or retard the timing.

After re-securing the cam timing sprocket back into place, to replace the tensioner, remove the center cover bolt, using a small screwdriver, turn it while pushing in the rod at the same time. Holding the screwdriver in with the rod still retracted, insert back into the cyclinder and put the tensioner bolts back snug (not need to be torqued yet). Then you can remove the screwdriver and the rod with actuate and put tension back on the chain.

You can practice this screwdriver turning pushing rod before trying to put it back in the cyclinder. You'll bet a better idea of how it works than how I can describe.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I don't believe that you can change the timing on stock TW's. It is my understanding that this is controlled by the CDI.

Of course, I may also be wrong about this.
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 05-02-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Corrected typographical error.

Yeah, you most likely correct. My response is when setting valves open and closed in relation to the timing marks on the cam sprocket and flywheel. Is that right?
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

im sot sure i would go messing with the cam timing on a stock motor. When i put my 06 back together this winter i mistakenly had the cam off one tooth to the intake side and it made the valve hit the piston when i rolled it over by hand.
    admiral likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Why would you want to mess with valve timing?
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

I was looking for a finer adjustment than moving the chain one tooth on the cam sprocket. I was thinking a plate or engine cover you could manipulate a bit. There is no ignition rotor on this engine that could be turned a bit one way or another? Maybe I just live with the tappet like noise. My bike is quite quiet with the silencer on the stock exhaust system so I guess I am hearing every noise the engine makes.

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    Why would you want to mess with valve timing?
    You can alter where the power and comes on with cam timing changes. Advanced a little in relation to the crank will make more bottom end where retarded will make the power up top. The tw does not have a fine enough adjustment to really do anything with cam timing. Like my other post said one tooth off was enough to cause false clearance issues. Silly me forgot to tension the chain a little to make sure I got it correct when I put the motor back together....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by tripleted View Post
    I was looking for a finer adjustment than moving the chain one tooth on the cam sprocket. I was thinking a plate or engine cover you could manipulate a bit. There is no ignition rotor on this engine that could be turned a bit one way or another? Maybe I just live with the tappet like noise. My bike is quite quiet with the silencer on the stock exhaust system so I guess I am hearing every noise the engine makes.
    As far as I'm aware there is no ignition timing adjustment either, it's set at the factory. Either way cam timing or ignition timing are not going to make valve lash noise go away. A little noise from the valves is totally normal on these engines.

Personally it doesn't bother me one bit since both of mine when they are adjusted are a lot quieter than my Ducati is, that thing sounds like a sewing machine...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links