Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Berryrider
  • 1 Post By Berryrider
  • 1 Post By ssgtrillium
  • 1 Post By GaryL

Thread: Even more carb questions

Even more carb questions

I recently pulled my carb off, cleaned it some (it was pretty clean actually) reset the float height and put it back on the bike. I suspected that the starting problems I was having were mostly due to the incredible hoard of seeds (a couple of cups easily) that mice had carried into the snorkle so I was thinking that the air issues alone might have been causing my starting problems. The rubber intake boot (airbox side) was so shrunken and hard that it is barely on the carb. I'm afraid that even with moderate riding, that dust and crap will find its way into the carb, and that the carb will eventually be getting too much air - the bike starts easily, warms up pretty quickly and runs well right now. I ordered a new rubber boot that I want to install to forestall any future problems. My first question is - can you get the old boot off and the new one on without removing the carb? - there is not a lot of room in there with the carb on. Second question - if I have to remove the carb again should I replace the jets, float valve - etc. as a matter of course as one forum member suggested? I have had the bike for 1 year - the PO seemed to have done pretty good maintenance - and the bike is not giving me any carbeurator problems at this point. Some people love to tinker with their machines - I have so many (1 tractor, 2 riding mowers, an ATV, 3 push mowers, chainsaw, leaf blower, string trimmer, wood splitter, garden tiller, wood chipper, and 3 boat motors) and so much to do that I only want to do what is neccessary on the TW. Opinions?
    Fred likes this.

If it ain't broke...
    These things will run with all sorts of issues that'd strand you on a lesser bike. I DO like to be TOTALLY familiar with the carbs on all our bikes. I carry bits with me, and tools to dissemble them. Also a magnetic parts dish, and clean white cloth for a trailside work station.
    Happily, the carb will be easier to get in and out with the new boot.

My answer

I figured out my own answers - for anyone who might care. No - I see no way of removing the air intake boot without removing the carb. To remove the old boot, sit on the left hand side of the bike, grab the old boot with your left. Using a flat bladed screw driver in your right hand - wedge the screwdriver between the old boot and the air intake box. pry and twist until you get an opening. Since you have a new boot don't worry about damaging the old one, even though the old brittle rubber is plenty tough and will stand a lot of gouging without damage. When you finally get some daylight via the screw driver, continue to work to widen the gap, twisting with your left hand to increase your advantage. At some point you will have gained the upper hand and it will pop out. Put a light coating of lithium grease on the new boot, air box side. With your left hand put the boot into position, angle the boot so the bottom of the groove of the boot just fits into the airbox frame. Use your flat bladed screwdriver and try to get an 1/8 or 1/4 quarter inch a time of the new boot stuffed into the box. Do this until you have about 1/3 of the boot in - rotate the boot clockwise with your left hand and work in the next little bit 1/4 inch at a time. Keep working the boot in a little bit at a time and rotating it with your left, eventually the whole thing pops in.

Other than using a dremel tool to carve a slot in my boogered float chamber drain screw, I did not mess with anything else on the carb. I will order a new drain screw which I can replace with the carb in place.
    Fred likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I just changed the same boot on mine and funny enough my drain screw is getting the dremel treatment tonight too.
    Fred likes this.

Great instructions, thanks Berryrider.
    Amazing how airboxes attract mouse stashes, many of us can share a similar story.

I just replaced the air box to carb boots on both of my TWs. Remove the carb and warm the old boot with a hair blower on high or a heat gun on low. Wear grippy gloves and they come out pretty easy. Put the new one in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes before stuffing it in.

GaryL
    Fred likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Sponosred Links