New to Motorcyles
Close

Hi, Everyone

I'm want to buy a TW!!! I live in Durango ,CO but have found a 2006 TW with 100miles In Nebraska. the Gent and his father purchased 2 of them new. But do to heart attack a year later his father stopped riding. Worse case it has not ran since 2007. they did put Stable in the tank but he says in needs a new battery and the carb cleaned. Is this much of a problem? are there other things that should be checked? I have never owned a motorcycle so I am hoping for some insight from those of you with experience. I can't wait to take a TW up in the mountains and hit some remote lakes and streams. Thank you in advance for your remarks!

Wyler

Quote Originally Posted by Wyler View Post
    ...needs a new battery and the carb cleaned. Is this much of a problem?...Wyler
    Shouldn't be a problem all, depending on how handy you are with a wrench.

A new AGM battery can be purchased on Ebay.

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...h__1#entry1713

You may not need to clean the carb. Fresh gas may do the trick.

But if you do, you can clean the carb yourself, or take it to a Yamaha shop.

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...carb-cleaning/

Download the TW manual and supplement:

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...epair-manuals/

To start with:

Drain the fuel tank and carburetor. Put in fresh gas.

Change the oil and filter.

Install new battery.

If you're lucky, the bike will start without doing anything further.

(Check the manual for the starting procedure.)

You will still need to check over all parts of the bike: chain, tires, etc.

Look in the manual and check all the "Scheduled Maintenance" items.

You said the bike has only 100 miles on it, so the engine isn't broken in yet. Ride it easy (vary speed) until you get to 500 miles There are many different opinions on breaking in an engine. Go by the manual.

Since you are new to motorcycles, it would be a good idea to take a Motorcycle Safety class.

And buy some protective gear: helmet, jacket, boots, gloves.

If you are going to ride the "back country", it's best not to go alone, or have a way to call for help, and take basic tools, and a small survival kit.

Then enjoy your new TW.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem all, depending on how handy you are with a wrench.

A new AGM battery can be purchased on Ebay.

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...h__1#entry1713

You may not need to clean the carb. Fresh gas may do the trick.

But if you do, you can clean the carb yourself, or take it to a Yamaha shop.

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...carb-cleaning/

Download the TW manual and supplement:

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...epair-manuals/

To start with:

Drain the fuel tank and carburetor. Put in fresh gas.

Change the oil and filter.

Install new battery.

If you're lucky, the bike will start without doing anything further.

(Check the manual for the starting procedure.)

You will still need to check over all parts of the bike: chain, tires, etc.

Look in the manual and check all the "Scheduled Maintenance" items.

You said the bike has only 100 miles on it, so the engine isn't broken in yet. Ride it easy (vary speed) until you get to 500 miles There are many different opinions on breaking in an engine. Go by the manual.

Since you are new to motorcycles, it would be a good idea to take a Motorcycle Safety class.

And buy some protective gear: helmet, jacket, boots, gloves.

If you are going to ride the "back country", it's best not to go alone, or have a way to call for help, and take basic tools, and a small survival kit.

Then enjoy your new TW.

jb

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Jb,

Thanks for the reply and the link to carb cleaning. I am not real mechanical but have muddled may with through chainsaws lawn mowers and tractors. I live at 8400 ft I will mainly use it between 6900 ft-11,000 ft. would it be best to take it to a local dealer to adjust it for these elevations? I certainly plan on taking a safety course and getting the proper gear. I have kayaked, held a pilot license and spent a lot of time in the back country so being safe and being prepared have always been top priority. I like adventure without mixing it with stupidity! what kind of basic tools do carry with you? I primarily plan on riding on forest service type roads but would also like to be licensed for other riding. We have a lot of county roads (dirt) with very light traffic, It would be nice to get to some of my job sites this way. I found the TW in the classified section of this forum. This site has been great for information thanks again for the response.

Wyler

Quote Originally Posted by Wyler View Post
    ...mainly use it between 6900 ft-11,000 ft. would it be best to take it to a local dealer to adjust it for these elevations? ...Wyler
    Since the stock TW carb is a bit lean to pass emissions standards, I would try the bike "as is" and see how it performs.

It will get richer as you gain altitude.

If you find the engine is bogging down (not developing max power), it's a simple matter to install a smaller size main jet. There's a thread on rejetting.

The stock tool kit is under the right side panel. It's minimal, and you may want to upgrade it with better quality tools.

I believe you will need to add a wrench that fits the rear axle, so you can adjust the chain, or put it back on in case it jumps the sprocket.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Tdub ran just fine around Buena Vista, St. Elmo, and Leadville with the stock jet. Nearing the top of Pike's Peak she started to blubber a bit off idle, so I pulled the duct tape off the holes pre-drilled in the air filter cover and she cleaned right out.

Due to power loss at high altitude I recommend a 54 or 55 tooth wheel sprocket and live with a 50mph cruise on the highway. Go ahead and put an o-ring chain on the bike--the stock chain is crap and you'll throw away >$250 worth of chains, sprockets, gaskets, lock washers and chain lube plus many hours of labor in favor of a $65 o-ring chain. Your choice.

Sponosred Links