Hot oil smell
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hot oil smell

Hot oil smell

Went for my first real ride today since buying my Tdub. Was out for about 1 hour. when I got home I could smell hot oil.
    the previous owner said he had just had the oil changed by the dealer. I let the oil settle for a bit and when I checked the sight glass it is full to the top. I put a level on the seat to make sure I had the bike level. Would overfill cause this smell?

I think I will get a litre of oil and change it so I know I have the right amount of oil. Is it good practice to change the filter each oil change?

Gerry

Inspect it, clean it, put it back in. Good idea on the oil change, then you know it's right.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Thanks for the quick response I am sure it is overfull as there is no space showing in the sight glass at all when level.

Gerry

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

As stated above , sound's like it is over-filled . Change the oil.....motorcycle specific oil , and clean the oil filter ; make sure it is the CORRECT filter ( four holes......there is a thread / sticky on this ).

If you warm the engine up first this all seems to go easier. With cold oil it seems to take forever for the oil to drain back into the crankcase to get an accurate sight glass reading.

Three bolts hold the oil filter cover on. Remove the bottom one and briefly start the engine -- make sure you have a container to catch the oil the comes out and rags to wipe up the mess -- catch a little bit, shut it off and check oil level. If the oil is cold you will have to be very patient.

As for checking the oil filter, do it if you want but I have found so little debris on mine I now check it once a year and even then it really isn't worth the effort.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Smell of hot oil could also be an oil leak at the exhaust valve cover. Oil would drip onto the header pipe.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

I checked for oil leaks and didn't see any.

Elime are you suggesting that is a way to bring the oil level down with out changing the oil?

Should the oil filter be changed or cleaned with every oil change? If not then how often under average conditions?
    elime likes this.

Most of us use the fine mess screen and clean at every oil change.. Very easy to do.. If you buy the newer style I think they might be pleated..They clean the oil better, If you do buy a paper or the new style make sure you have 4 holes at the inward gasket. And bleed the small screw while running located on the right rear on the upper head area.. OMM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I checked for oil leaks and didn't see any.

Elime are you suggesting that is a way to bring the oil level down with out changing the oil?

Should the oil filter be changed or cleaned with every oil change? If not then how often under average conditions?
    Yes to lowering oil level.

As for the oil filter, every time I have cleaned it I have found so very little debris on it I basically don't bother doing it anymore. I do change the oil every 1500 to 2000 miles.

You might want to clean the filter the first few oil changes and see for yourself if you think it is worth it. To each their own! Do what is right for you. Just make sure it has the 4 holes! VERY IMPORTANT!
    fandango likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Update:

This morning I changed the oil. I didn't do the filter. Put in 1 Ltr. Now the oil level is right on the full mark.

The old oil wasn't very dirty so I guess it was changed by the dealer. I poured the old oil into the empty oil container to try to see if there was more than a liter in there. It is hard to tell. I can see where if you do the filter as well it would be very easy to overfill if you just did a free pour.

Next time I change the oil I will do the filter as well and make sure to measure the extra 100ml that I will have to add.

Now I need to get out and ride to see if this solved the hot oil smell problem.

Gerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links