Base Gasket Leak Question
Close

I know this subject has probably been talked to death, but I have a different twist. I'm still not a TW owner (yet), but have been watching for the right one to come along for about the right price and close enough so as not to break the bank going to get it. I've read about the base gasket leaks and see some references to them being mainly in the 05 - 08 model years with quite a high percentage of them being 06 models and that the leaks (if they start) are usually around the 3000 mile mark. I've seen several 06 models for what I think is a good price with under 1000 miles. Would the possibility of a leaker developing make you shy away from this model year? I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I'm sure I'd be fine working on it if it needed it and I've got some family help that definitely can help me if I got in over my head. I just don't want to step into something I should maybe have avoided.

Thanks.

Dave

I don't think that issue would deter me from buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by lonedave View Post
    I know this subject has probably been talked to death, but I have a different twist. I'm still not a TW owner (yet), but have been watching for the right one to come along for about the right price and close enough so as not to break the bank going to get it. I've read about the base gasket leaks and see some references to them being mainly in the 05 - 08 model years with quite a high percentage of them being 06 models and that the leaks (if they start) are usually around the 3000 mile mark. I've seen several 06 models for what I think is a good price with under 1000 miles. Would the possibility of a leaker developing make you shy away from this model year? I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I'm sure I'd be fine working on it if it needed it and I've got some family help that definitely can help me if I got in over my head. I just don't want to step into something I should maybe have avoided.

Thanks.

Dave

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I HAVE AN 06 AND IT HAS 6K ON IT NOW. STARTED LEAKING AT 2.5K AND GOT WORST AT 4K NOW AT 6K DID NOT GET WORST BUT STAYED THE SAME. THE LEAK IS NOTICABLE BUT I NEVER HAD TO ADD OIL BETWEEN OIL CHANGES. IT IS VERY ANOYING CLEANING WISE BUT NOTHING THAT AFFECTS THE BIKE. IF YOUR NOT ONE OF THOSE CLEAN FREAKS AND THE PRICE IS GOOD, GO FOR IT..

Has the base gasket issue been resolved for the '09 and newer TW's?

Quote Originally Posted by p808 View Post
    Has the base gasket issue been resolved for the '09 and newer TW's?

I believe Yamaha finally took note of the multitude of complaints and fixed the issue in the 2010 model year, with a metal gasket. Don't quote me on this though. Perhaps someone with a new TW can verify this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Sponosred Links