Want Some (More) Low End Grunt
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have the stock sprockets on my bike and am looking for a little more low end grunt to help in steep downhill and uphill grades strewn with boulders, ditches, and steep dropoffs (eeek). I am having difficulty searching for this, for example if I type in "60 tooth sprocket" I get an error...so I have to wade through the million and a half or so 47 tooth sprocket threads.

So here is my question, what is the best setup both front and rear sprocket tooth setup that you have used for steep grades? Of course I still want to use this bike on blacktop to 55 mph. I also plan to upgrade the chain. Any links would be great!

Merry Christmas to all in TW land!

Quote Originally Posted by RIF View Post
    I have the stock sprockets on my bike and am looking for a little more low end grunt to help in steep downhill and uphill grades strewn with boulders, ditches, and steep dropoffs (eeek). I am having difficulty searching for this, for example if I type in "60 tooth sprocket" I get an error...so I have to wade through the million and a half or so 47 tooth sprocket threads.

So here is my question, what is the best setup both front and rear sprocket tooth setup that you have used for steep grades? Of course I still want to use this bike on blacktop to 55 mph. I also plan to upgrade the chain. Any links would be great!

Merry Christmas to all in TW land!

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...ed-calculator/

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

14/55 has worked well for me. It will go 55 mph although the RPM's are pretty high.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ditto 14/55. With this set up 55 mph equals 7750 rpm which is well below the red line of 9500 rpm (some sources say the red line is 10,250).
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

The sweet spot for me is 14/52 with an EK o-ring chain. (428SROZ 130 links with a few removed to fit.) 14/50 stock was too lame. I liked the 14/54 I installed for the soft woods, meadows, and steep hills but wound out the engine too much on the hiway. Like Goldilocks and the Three Bears the 14/52 was just right for the woods and cruising at 60mph for as long as you can sit. For me it is a perfect match for the power of the little engine, the limitations of the bike, and the ability to run anywhere you want (except long stints on the Interstate). Just my personal experience.....

Dave

14/60 will yield about 8300rpm at 55mph. If all you are doing is short runs on the highway that would be okay. 14/60 will pull like a tractor offroad.

EK 428 SROZ o-ring chain is a good choice. Way over 20,000 miles on mine.

I went down a particularly long steep mining claim access road this summer. My brakes started getting real hot about halfway down. It was not all steep, there were areas that were flat and even some uphill portions, but mostly a mile down in 5 miles of road. I think Dave sold me on the 52 tooth sprocket, hopefully a good compromise for me. Good to get there with and good to get out with. Do any of you ride in the central Sierra...above Merced? Thanks, and take care!

Is there a way to calculate how many links of the EK 428 SROZ Qwerty and others recommend? What brand name for the sprocket?

Do any of you ride in the central Sierra...above Merced?

I am in San Ho-zay but have been known to wander east of Modesto a couple of times.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Is there a way to calculate how many links of the EK 428 SROZ Qwerty and others recommend? What brand name for the sprocket?

It's 120 links with the 45-tooth sprocket and 122 links with the 50-tooth, so you need to add approximately 1 link every 3 additional teeth on the sprocket.
    Red Max - 1996 TW200 - 14/45, 320mm toothed brake disc, X-Racing titanium exhaust, Ricochet skid plate, Mule hitch pins, large pegs, VeeRubber VRM274&275 tires

Hi RIF,

For chain length calculation add one link for every tooth added. Based on your year TW (look up chain length here- http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx ) You will find the chain length under the rear wheel heading. Mine is a 2007TW with a 122 link stock chain so I had to order a 130 link and cut it down to 124 links (measure twice- cut once). My suggestion is to wrap the chain around both sprockets to see where you need to cut keeping the rear wheel forward a bit allowing to adjust for chain stretch and the master link. Your final result should be two links more than stock. The O-ring chain was such a luxury upgrade from stock- You won't be sorry for the extra expense. Thanks to QWERTY for the recommendation of the EK chain- http://www.ekchain.com/ . I ordered sprockets and chain through my dealer since they buy from the big distributors and I knew they would order the correct stuff. (used a Christmas discount coupon on the chain which took some of the sting out of the price.)

As for the suitability of the 14/52 off road- I remember Tracy (goldnhtr) put them on a couple of his TW's and they performed very well for them on the single track they were riding (old forum).

Keep in mind that no sprocket is going to let you just chug up a long steep hill- we would need all-wheel-drive for that (Rokon). A large rear sprocket will be a big help to keep the engine revs up through slow going but for a long steep hill you still need speed and momentum to get to the top. Without that your rear tire is just going to start spinning and you will be stuck somewhere on the slope trying to figure out how to keep your bike from sliding backwards down the hill- a very disturbing situation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c_7fRq_19s Ouch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht3DM...eature=related

Hope this helps.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links