Can't get bike to run at all..
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Can't get bike to run at all..

Can't get bike to run at all..

So about 3 weeks ago I was following my friend to this trail to ride on. The trail was maybe 30 minutes away and I was working my TW pretty hard. Driving about 55-60 for the majority of the drive. As soon as I pull off the road and get on the trail, my TW kinda sputters and starts lurching forward before it dies. I try to turn it on again and just let it idle. It runs for maybe 10 feet then the same thing happens, starts lurching forward when I give it some throttle and it dies. At this point, I wasn't really sure what was wrong with it so I just let it sit for a little while hoping maybe it just overheated. But now it won't start at all. This all happened the weekend before finals so I didn't really get a chance to work on it till I got done with my finals and had moved back home for the summer.

Anyways, I replaced the spark plug hoping that was the problem but that did nothing (I did take the plug out and check the spark color. It is a blue/white spark). Then I cleaned out the carb hopeful that some junk had just got stuck in the jets or something. Still no luck. I noticed the carb was drenched in fuel (bad gasket I assumed) so I bought a carb rebuild kit and diaphragm set from procycle and replaced all those parts. I took the air filter cover off hoping maybe it was just too clogged and the bike wasn't getting enough air. I cleaned out around the air filter really well so no crap would be sucked into the carb and tried to start the bike. The bike will try to turn over and might idle for a little less than a second before it dies but no longer that that. It will backfire every now and then also. I have tried adjusting the pilot jet starting all the way in and rotating 1/2 turn until it got to 2 turns out but still no luck. That is where I am now and I really don't know where to go from there.

Anyone have any clue what I can try next?

Someone will be along shortly with real mechanic skills. But for clarification, are you saying that the carb is flooding or leaking or both?
    1988 TW200, 14/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, pilot screw extension 2.5 turns out, main jet slightly reamed, Shinko 241

Rin's law of addition: "If you take anything in the world (fear, love, widgets...anything) and add to it, then there will be more."

Have you downloaded the service manuals and gone through the troubleshooting area? If not, here is the link for the manuals.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...r-manuals.html
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Weebles View Post
    Someone will be along shortly with real mechanic skills. But for clarification, are you saying that the carb is flooding or leaking or both?
    Well I don't think it is flooding, just whenever I looked at the carb after taking it apart the the first time, I noticed the left side of the carb was soaked in gasoline, like gasoline was leaking out of the left side of the bowl whenever the bike was on it's kickstand. Since I replaced the gasket, I haven't noticed the any gasoline on the carb. And I have breifly looked through the manuals but mostly just googling and going from there.

It's worth noting that I have the old style carb. My bike is a 2000.

Did you switch the petcock to reserve?

When ever anything doesn't seem right in the way my TW is running I always switch to reserve -- I can't tell you how many times the problem went away when I did that.

Pour a little gas in the spark plug hole and try to start it. If it runs well for a second or two then it is not electrical or mechanical -- it is the carburetor. If the compression is good it is not mechanical. Good luck finding an electrical problem. That can take a lot of patience.
    littletommy and fishguy like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I have it on reserve right now but still no luck. I will try to pour a little gas in the spark plug hole to see if that helps.

I appreciate all your help, I am just ready to ride my bike again!

Pull the tank and dump the remaining gas in the tank into a white bucket and tell us all what you see. Remove the petcock completely and check the screens. My bike had the exact same issue and here is what I found. This crap only comes out through the petcock hole after removal.

GaryL
    Last edited by GaryL; 05-25-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    Dubzha likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

WHOAH!

That was a LOT of crap in that tank!!

You're right, just dumping the tank upside down with that amount of crap won't work....it has to be flushed twice with the petcock removed....there are a lot of little nooks where crap can hide only to re-appear like a bad in-law.
    Dubzha likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    WHOAH!

That was a LOT of crap in that tank!!

You're right, just dumping the tank upside down with that amount of crap won't work....it has to be flushed twice with the petcock removed....there are a lot of little nooks where crap can hide only to re-appear like a bad in-law.
    Dumping the TW tank from the fill hole is a complete waste of effort. There is a shroud around the entire fill hole that won't allow the crud out. You have to remove the petcock and rotate all the remaining fuel so it comes to the petcock hole and do it a few times to get all these wonderful ethanol remnants out. If you see what I got you might want to use some sort of rust removal concoction in the tank before you put it back in service and absolutely add an in line filter. Oh, did I mention Ethanol SUCKS!

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

POR-15 fuel tank sealer is a 3 step procedure. First is the cleaner / degreaser. second is metal prep, and third is applying the sealer.

This is what came out of the tank after just using the cleaner / degreaser.

P2171264.JPG
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links