My 89 TW200 Project
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My 89 TW200 Project

Red face My 89 TW200 Project

I picked up a 89 Tdub last fall. The guy said the carb was cleaned by the local shop but it wasn't starting. I gave him $1100 for it. Maybe it was a bit much. But hey got a nice project bike.
    The odometer reads 13400km. So not that much use in its 25 years.tw200.jpg

The bike sat all winter against my shed. Now as spring rolled through I have assessed its condition put new gas in it and got it to start pretty easy, with a fresh battery charge. But it likes to start better with the kick start. I drove it a bit around the block, after a few minutes it was choking on itself. Sputtering with a turn of the throttle with some backfiring. I got it home then let it idle for a while the tried it again. With a successful lap around the block, I decided to take a trip down to the garbage dump drop some garbage off. The bike worked great. I was still not too use to the bike so I was taking it slow. Ended up getting tailgated hard by the city slicker in a sleek suv. I flipped him the bird which just made him angry and he tailgated me more then followed me to the dump to give me a piece of his mind. I am a kind person so I kept my cool and explained to him calmly that his point of view was completely distorted by road rage. He said I was obstructing traffic, I was only going 10km/h less then the posted. In the end I told him it is about safety and nothing more. How can you argue with that really. So he just left it was quite funny. Anyway the bike ran great back home as well. The next day I go to use it the sputtering issue is back, and never left.

So I have a 25 year old Tw200 project. Super excited. First thing I did was order the clarke tank because the stock tank was filled with layers of old goop from old gas sitting in it to much over the years. I can probably clean this out and sell it. That didn't fix it so I got on this TW forum and did the research. Chances are good that it is the carb running to rich. So suiting my style, new to all this bike maintenance but not afraid to tinker, I say to myself its the carb that needs tinkering lets have at it. Well if the carb needs to be tinkered I might swell replace the exhaust and air filter, pull the air box clean it out, re-jet the carb to work with the new airflow, clean the carb of course rebuild it the best I can. Then I got click happy on pro cycle ordered new handle bar and heated grips. My friend was selling his Dr650 so I asked him to sell me his Teton Pannier. So I'm in the midst of a full on profect.

The other day I pulled the carb off and dismantled it and am set-up to give it a clean here soon. I ordered the 6sigma for rejecting so I will see what that is all about. They gave me 3 jets, the thing that confuses me is the drill bit and screw in one of the bags. We will see..... should be fun, Carb pics to come

Love Of Endangerment - Working to build a site of Adventure Based in and Around Whistler BC : Love Of Endangerment
    Last edited by Climbers TW200; 05-26-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    tcepilot likes this.

Not sure if it's posted , but por15 makes a gas tank cleaner kit. I saw it when was searching for a por15 product for my rust rock rails for my Jeep.

rbm
    Hello and welcome! Keep us posted on the progress, we love pics!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Dietz NEEDS your old tank if it's still perfect or near perfect on the outside. Get some new fork boots along with the Clarke tank.
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-cl...-gas-tank.html

How hard did mr SUV hit you? what an arse.

PS: the brill bit is for removing the factory plug over the pilot screw adjustment, which will have to be removed for cleaning (take note of how many turns out the factory placement is). New carbs are still available at about $250-$300, since you only paid $1100 this might be your best route to get on the road properly.
    Last edited by TWrider; 05-26-2014 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TWrider View Post
    Dietz NEEDS your old tank if it's still perfect or near perfect on the outside. Get some new fork boots along with the Clarke tank.
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-cl...-gas-tank.html

How hard did mr SUV hit you? what an arse.

PS: the brill bit is for removing the factory plug over the pilot screw adjustment, which will have to be removed for cleaning (take note of how many turns out the factory placement is). New carbs are still available at about $250-$300, since you only paid $1100 this might be your best route to get on the road properly.
    Ok I will check his add. The plug is the lil black plastic piece in this photo?P5240038.jpg

more carb photos

P5240033.JPG Gasket isn't too bad but I got a new one
    P5240034.JPG Looks a bit grimy {just broke this brass piece right off trying to clean it with a pipe cleaner. looks like i will get a new carb}
    P5240036.JPG
    P5240041.JPG
    P5240043.JPG
    Last edited by Climbers TW200; 06-05-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Carb pieces

P5240035.JPGmight have forgotten where these ones go, sure i will figure it out
    P5240037.JPGThe float and pieces
    P5240039.JPGcarb rebuild kit
    P5240040.JPG6sigma jetting kit
    Last edited by Climbers TW200; 05-30-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Top pic, plastic goes over the main jet and sits in the bottom of the bowl with the flat side Up. The O ring goes in the grove of the brass rod that is permanent on the carb body and sticks down in to the bowl. When you remove the screw to yank the float needle valve seat check the top of the old one. It has a tiny screen on it that is always clogged so make sure the old one comes out. You won't need the drill bit and screw because the plug over the pilot screw is already removed. You do NOT drill out that black plastic plug you asked about. The plug would have been a solid brass plug covering the hole where the pilot screw is. Looking at the bottom of your carb, if you had the float bowl in place it is the hole that is outside and just forward of the float bowl toward the engine side. The Pilot screw goes there and it has a spring and tiny O ring.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Broke it! opps

P6050036.JPG
    looks like I broke it. Finally got together everything I needed to clean the carb up and 10 mins in I am jamming a pipe cleaner down that brass tube. Not gentle enough and it bent and snapped.
    looks like it lets air flow up into a certain location in the carb. Well breaking things is a good way to learn to be more gentle.
    I will buy a new carb. anyone know where to get a new carb from.

Thanks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links