Kickstart Install: What did I do wrong?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Kickstart Install: What did I do wrong?

Kickstart Install: What did I do wrong?

I installed a kickstart on an '06 this weekend and it kicks to life, but the kick arm doesnt spring back up. I have to pull it back into the top position with a a bit of force. I turned that torsion spring, clockwise, half way and hooked it on to that piece. Not sure where I went wrong?

I haven't installed mine, yet. But two things come to mind. Maybe the shaft is binding and cannot return by spring force alone. Or the spring isn't wound enough, or in the right direction? Just some simple arm chair mechanic guesses is all. Good luck. I hope you figure it out easily. Frustrating when a project doesn't work out. But when you get it fixed, then you've taught yourself a lesson.
    sp_cache likes this.
    ~ Brian

Life's too short to be in a hurry... Ride a T-Dub Hidden Content

2013 TW200
    2004 VTX 1300
    Hidden Content The Spirit of the Lizrd Rolls Forever.

Hi Tyler,

I am not sure what is wrong either, but here are the best pictures that I have in case these will be of some help. I doubt that it would be enough drag to cause the problem that you are describing, but make sure that the seal and kickstart shaft are lubricated.

100_4135.JPG

Here is a picture of the kickstarter shaft assembly. Did you purchase a kit or is this kicker from a donor engine? If this was a kit, did the kickstarter shaft assembly come preassembled or did you have to put it together yourself?

100_4139.JPG
    Dubzha likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    There is a spot in the case the spring in the top of the last pic above needs to sit in, it's easy to miss it, I almost did.
    Dubzha likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Hi Tyler,

I am not sure what is wrong either, but here are the best pictures that I have in case these will be of some help. I doubt that it would be enough drag to cause the problem that you are describing, but make sure that the seal and kickstart shaft are lubricated.

100_4135.JPG

Here is a picture of the kickstarter shaft assembly. Did you purchase a kit or is this kicker from a donor engine? If this was a kit, did the kickstarter shaft assembly come preassembled or did you have to put it together yourself?

100_4139.JPG
    I order the 225 kit and TW boss arm and assembled it myself. The assembly, as far I can tell was accurate, I also dipped it in oil.
    Which of the two protrusion on the kicker shaft face the engine? The shorter one or the longer one? I have the longer sitting on that little ledge facing the engine, that allows the spring to turn clockwise half turn to hook on that little bar. Maybe it just needs more lubrication in there?

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    There is a spot in the case the spring in the top of the last pic above needs to sit in, it's easy to miss it, I almost did.
    Youre referring to that horse shoe clip that clips onto the kicker sprocket? I made sure it slide in to that little in dent in the case...

20140526_195835.jpg

Took the assembly out and it looks like my oil seal is what was causing the resistance. Its shredded up.
    docjekyll2002 and Hoot Gibson like this.

Crap , Too bad
    Lucky for me I saw this as tomorrow I am installing the kit into my TW
    On this site it says to install the seal after the side case is on by sliding it over the kickstart shaft before installing the kickstarter lever.
    In the kit it said to install the seal in the case first and then install the side case
    Which did you do?

Norm in Arkansas

Exactly. The picture had the gasket in the line up on the kick axle and just left it on when I put the assembly in. In hindsight it doesn't make sense now. Doh lol. This is my first bike and I told myself I'll never take it to a mechanic. So I got a new oil seal on order and chaulking it up as a learning experience. Other then that it is a very straight forward installation. ... in hindsight that is!

Put the seal in the case cover before installing the cover. Lube the seal and shaft before installing the cover. If you think about it, you would not want to replace the seal every time the cover is removed. The seal can be simply pushed in with just your fingers.

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links