New to the TW- Buying one this week, what should I look for!?
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: New to the TW- Buying one this week, what should I look for!?

New to the TW- Buying one this week, what should I look for!?

Hello All!

I'm Jake, and after looking at a friends TW200 sitting and collecting dust for 5 years I finally have an opportunity to buy it from him. I am going to grab a new battery and some fresh fuel this week and plan to start her up and work out a deal.

I am hoping that you seasoned TW guys and gals can shoot me some info so I am not flying blind. Are there any notorious glitches or problems I need to look out for?
    The example I am trying to but is an '01 with just over 400 miles on it. Anyone have an idea of a fair purchase price in CO? The plastics are all thoroughly beaten up from being stored with all kinds of other stuff. I literally dug it out of a pile of miscellaneous garbage today.

Thanks in advance and I can't wait to officially join this community. I have been in love with this fat tired beauty since I first saw it and I can't wait to hit the trails!
    Badgerflorida and Ken like this.

Welcome to the forum Jake!

Here is a 2001 with 1,600 miles that I paid $1,200 for. Hopefully, you should probably be able to do considerably better on the price.

Brian

100_3842.JPG
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 05-26-2014 at 10:29 PM.

rbm
    Hello and welcome!
    blowingupjake likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Both of my TWs came from similar storage conditions. The 91 was a gorgeous bike while the 88 was a complete rat. Both were stored with fuel in the tanks and carbs which is why I posted the above referenced thread on how to bring them back.

It sounds like your plan so far goes directly against the advice I have to offer so go read that thread and go forward at your own will. Probably 95% of all TW issues relate directly to improperly stored fuel system issues. If the bike was running before it was stored and you trust your friend then you are ahead of the game but there is lots of work to do. Cutting corners now will only add insult to injury.

What the bike is worth is up to you and based strictly on condition with the model year having very little to do with anything. Low miles on the clock is good but the description of the plastics you gave is suspect of poor maintenance from the beginning. Proceed very cautiously and do the things I outlined just so you are positive your bike is made ready to ride.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I just paid $1000 for a bike that sat with fuel in it for years and the tank was all rust inside.It has 3500 km on it though and they are a bit of a rare bird up here north of the border.Im almost done fixing it up for now and have under $1400 into it so I feel at $1400 it was a fair deal but not a great deal.

Thanks all for the response! I can tell this is a friendly community!

So the full story on the bike is it was bought brand new in '03 as an '01 clear-out, my friend got a great deal because he purchased three other bikes at the same time. This bike was supposed to be his get around town bike but ended up only going on a few hunting trips. It then sat properly stored for the 5 or so years I mentioned previously. About a year and a half ago he decided, once again, he wanted to ride it. He sent it to a local shop where they ran through and fixed any maintenance issues. He then gassed it up rode it once and the battery died (old battery, never replaced per service shops direction) which caused it to sit for another spell. This is where he lost interest and just stuck it in the garage and forgot about it..

It has about a half a tank of fuel that supposedly has Stabil in it. The fuel selector petcock is in the off position. I am hoping that there was very little gas in the carb and that the fuel tank is in good condition internally. The guy is a great friend so if I don't buy it, the TW will probably just go back to being a storage shelf. I already checked the plug, it looked brand new, which I would expect from the service it received. I poured a little bit of oil in when I had the plug out and I'm hopeful that it will turn freely and smoothly when I crank the electric start.. I really wish it had the kick start so I could feel for myself before trying to fire! Chain needs cleaning and lubed, but the tension seem in spec with what the manual says.

Croataon, I appreciate the link above! It was a good check-list to know I was already on the right track.

I appreciate the feed back that has been given! Keep it coming guys, I'm thinking about grabbing a battery after dinner and dumping the old fuel, the only problem is his house is a long drive in my old truck!

On a side note, there doesn't seem to be a huge Colorado voice on this forum!? I know there's gotta be some other TW's around enjoying the mile high.....
    Last edited by blowingupjake; 05-27-2014 at 06:07 PM.

I am a newbe to motorcycles world so I do not know anything but will offer a free opinion. I paid $2200 for a 2004 with 524 miles in Colorado last month. Brand new condition with exception of a dented gas tank and non functioning neutral switch, disconnected wire. New Tw200 are selling for $4500. Bought a 98 XT225 with 2300 miles for $1200, needed a rebuild of the fuel shutoff valve and a new battery. I would say a fair price for a 2001 with a really low mileage not running scratched up dirty TW200 would be in the $800 to $1500 range. I've seen higher mileage later model TW200 in need of major engine work go for $800! and then Ive seen late model less than 1,000 miles, never driven off road by original owner, dealer serviced Aspen housewife in mint condition go for as little as $1800. You really need to look at what is going to cost you to make the the TW200 road/trail worthy. The cost of a carburetor rebuild? New tires? Are the shocks leaking? Did the prior owner beat the snot out of the TW200( it is possible) without ever doing any maintenance? Ever change the oil? On one hand you could have a diamond in the rough on the other you could have a basket case due to neglect. Worst case buy the TW200 and if it is a basket case you part it out on Craigslist I have buyer for you gas tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    I am a newbe to motorcycles world so I do not know anything but will offer a free opinion. I paid $2200 for a 2004 with 524 miles in Colorado last month. Brand new condition with exception of a dented gas tank and non functioning neutral switch, disconnected wire. New Tw200 are selling for $4500. Bought a 98 XT225 with 2300 miles for $1200, needed a rebuild of the fuel shutoff valve and a new battery. I would say a fair price for a 2001 with a really low mileage not running scratched up dirty TW200 would be in the $800 to $1500 range. I've seen higher mileage later model TW200 in need of major engine work go for $800! and then Ive seen late model less than 1,000 miles, never driven off road by original owner, dealer serviced Aspen housewife in mint condition go for as little as $1800. You really need to look at what is going to cost you to make the the TW200 road/trail worthy. The cost of a carburetor rebuild? New tires? Are the shocks leaking? Did the prior owner beat the snot out of the TW200( it is possible) without ever doing any maintenance? Ever change the oil? On one hand you could have a diamond in the rough on the other you could have a basket case due to neglect. Worst case buy the TW200 and if it is a basket case you part it out on Craigslist I have buyer for you gas tank.
    Thank you Timbo! I'm hoping the deal will land in the 1000 dollar range.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Both of my TWs came from similar storage conditions. The 91 was a gorgeous bike while the 88 was a complete rat. Both were stored with fuel in the tanks and carbs which is why I posted the above referenced thread on how to bring them back.

It sounds like your plan so far goes directly against the advice I have to offer so go read that thread and go forward at your own will. Probably 95% of all TW issues relate directly to improperly stored fuel system issues. If the bike was running before it was stored and you trust your friend then you are ahead of the game but there is lots of work to do. Cutting corners now will only add insult to injury.

What the bike is worth is up to you and based strictly on condition with the model year having very little to do with anything. Low miles on the clock is good but the description of the plastics you gave is suspect of poor maintenance from the beginning. Proceed very cautiously and do the things I outlined just so you are positive your bike is made ready to ride.

GaryL
    I did not realize you were the author of that article. Thanks a lot Gary!

Hello everyone,

Here we are 3 years later and I am finally about to take possession of the bike I started this thread about. I had tons of fun riding my other tdub before I sold it, so, I could never let this one go. Well, my friend is moving and can't move the bike... It'll be in my garage soon.

At this point I plan to follow GaryL's guide to resurrecting an old bike and can't wait to get it going.

The odometer shows 450 miles.....

No title. I'll be doing the Vermont remote registration... Any advice on that front?

I'm happy to be back on this board and seeing the community alive and well.

Jake
    littletommy and admiral like this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links