Strange Running Problem Carb or Electrical Please Help A New TW Owner
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Strange Running Problem Carb or Electrical Please Help A New TW Owner

Strange Running Problem Carb or Electrical Please Help A New TW Owner

Hi, I just bought a 2005 tw with 800 miles on it. Ran great until I got it home then would not start. Went up in elevation 2000 ft, not sure if that's part of the issue. Eventually got it started but never ran smooth after that.

The problems- very slow throttle response, I can open the throttle all the way and it take 4-5 seconds to catch up. If I let it idle it's not smooths it goes up and down in rpms. During riding it acts like it's missing and not running smooth. If I turn the fuel petcock too off it runs very strong until it runs out of gas. Spark plug is black and sooty. It always seems to start great when cold no choke, but after it warms up and I turn it off it has a hard time restarting, takes multiple tries.

What I've done- cleaned the carb put a new needle valve assembly in because the old o ring was rotten. adjusted the float to 11mm. Set the pilot screw to 2-1/2 turns. The carb looked good other than that. I did notice the pilot jet hole was way tinny. Put a fuel filter in. New spark plug and check that it was getting regular spark. Adjusted the valves to factory specs. Cleaned the air filter (I took off the filter and started it to see if the airflow was restricted, when I put the filter back on while it was running it killed the engine) no mice nests or plugged airway.

I'm out of ideas, still wondering if it's the carb or what to check on the electrical system.

Thanks for helping this is my first ever bike and I'm anxious to use it

Quote Originally Posted by Midog View Post
    Hi, I just bought a 2005 tw with 800 miles on it. Ran great until I got it home then would not start. Went up in elevation 2000 ft, not sure if that's part of the issue. Eventually got it started but never ran smooth after that.

The problems- very slow throttle response, I can open the throttle all the way and it take 4-5 seconds to catch up. If I let it idle it's not smooths it goes up and down in rpms. During riding it acts like it's missing and not running smooth. If I turn the fuel petcock too off it runs very strong until it runs out of gas. Spark plug is black and sooty. It always seems to start great when cold no choke, but after it warms up and I turn it off it has a hard time restarting, takes multiple tries.

What I've done- cleaned the carb put a new needle valve assembly in because the old o ring was rotten. adjusted the float to 11mm. Set the pilot screw to 2-1/2 turns. The carb looked good other than that. I did notice the pilot jet hole was way tinny. Put a fuel filter in. New spark plug and check that it was getting regular spark. Adjusted the valves to factory specs. Cleaned the air filter (I took off the filter and started it to see if the airflow was restricted, when I put the filter back on while it was running it killed the engine) no mice nests or plugged airway.

I'm out of ideas, still wondering if it's the carb or what to check on the electrical system.

Thanks for helping this is my first ever bike and I'm anxious to use it
    Your bike runs too rich ??

Whats the main jet you are using?
    2006 TW200E (JDM) -> 100% stock, Shinko SR428 front, Bridgestone TW204 rear, 14/45 stock gearing

rbm
    Blast out the carb with cleaner and add some Seafoam to your gas (should be fresh also). Run it like that for a while to let the seafoam do it's thing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

There is no way to know how long the fuel has been sitting around in your tank. I don't mean the fresh fuel you probably put in it but the nasty old stale crap over the last nine years.

I recommend tank removal, dump the entire contents out through the petcock after you remove it and in to a white bucket. Show us what you find! Every one I told to do this who did it found all sorts of crud, crap and rust particles in the tank. Clean it, flush it and then clean it again. What comes out of the tank is also in your carb, clean it, all of it! When you put it back on the bike make absolutely sure both boot connections are tight and sealed.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Blast out the carb with cleaner and add some Seafoam to your gas (should be fresh also). Run it like that for a while to let the seafoam do it's thing.
    This was the first thing I did, ran the tank about dry. Put in fresh gas and a double dose of seafoam.

Quote Originally Posted by indika666 View Post
    Your bike runs too rich ??

Whats the main jet you are using?

Not sure but will check tonight. What should it be for 4500ft?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    There is no way to know how long the fuel has been sitting around in your tank. I don't mean the fresh fuel you probably put in it but the nasty old stale crap over the last nine years.

I recommend tank removal, dump the entire contents out through the petcock after you remove it and in to a white bucket. Show us what you find! Every one I told to do this who did it found all sorts of crud, crap and rust particles in the tank. Clean it, flush it and then clean it again. What comes out of the tank is also in your carb, clean it, all of it! When you put it back on the bike make absolutely sure both boot connections are tight and sealed.

GaryL
    Great suggestion.
    fishguy likes this.

Ditto, GaryL. Clean, clean, clean that tank. Flush out of petcock hole (petcock assembly removed). I bet you find the in-tank filter screens on the petcock plugged or broken.

Everybody who says to clean the fuel system is correct. That is a good place to start. That being said, when you mentioned that you serviced the air filter and when you installed it the engine died, that should never happen. A friend of mine who had been riding for years came by my house and said that his big street bike would barely run. He had just serviced the air cleaner. I pulled out his air cleaner and it was saturated with oil. I cleaned the filter thoroughly and re-oiled it VERY LIGHTly. It ran fine after that. A little too much oil on the filter will act like you left the choke on.

If that is not the problem, I'd look at the pilot valve. As you said, it is very tiny. It is also made in such a way that you can not just look through it to see if it is clean. At least that is the case with mine. If it has been sitting for a long time it can build up some very hard varnish inside. It takes a very tiny wire to push through, or it needs to be put in an electronic parts cleaner. A good pro mechanic should be able to assure that is really clean and open. Failing that, I'd just install a new pilot jet. Seafoam is your friend.
    Last edited by Phantom99; 05-31-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Add a few words

Better yet, Lucus Deep Creep Fuel System Cleaner for cleaning troublesome carbs, then Seafoam after that for maintenance.
    fishguy likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links