Clutch issues..
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Clutch issues..

Clutch issues..

My wife and I fired up our 2008 and 2006 TW's today. Stone cold, running Amsoil 20-50 in both bikes. Both start and run fine......but when my wife drops it into 1st, it stalls because the clutch fails to disengage. Once warmed up, no problem. The clutches in both bikes are adjusted properly and this problem only occurs when cold.. The 2006 has the same problem but not as bad. I originally ran Yamalube 20-50 went over to Amsoil to see if this problem would go away. Any ideas or suggestions ?? I bought both bikes last year and they both have less than 1500 miles.
    Thanks for any input.

If you notice they are sticking, pull in the clutch and rock the bike back and forth until they disengage, then start in neutral as normal and it shouldn't be a problem when you put it in gear and go. There really isn't a fix, they all do it from time to time.
    williamemack likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Since I switched to full synthetic mine have plates do not tend to stick. Actually never since the change. Contrast this it yamalube which was very bad for this.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I find that the handgrips have collars that sometimes hit the levers giving you the feel that you have pulled the clutch in all the way when in fact you have not . need to cut that section off . also hold the clutch lever in for several seconds before putting in gear
    Look at the bottom of this page under SIMILAR THREADS
    Norm in Arkansas
    2006 TW , Kick Starter , Shinko 241 front 4;00/18 ,Vesrah HD clutch springs. Carb jet Kit, Amsoil 10-40 , ALLSBALLS steering head bearings, Jimbo shield. Zeta drop -down bend handguards
    Ricochet skidplate from IMMIX RACING , BIKEMASTER Supersport mirrors XT350 fuel tank , member big foot pegs

Honda XR 600 , KTM 300 , BMW 1100 gs , 327 Cushman Truckster , KTM 625 SXC . Ural with sidecar

The Amsoil that I'm using IS full synthetic........but the clutch plates still "stick".....only when cold. There are several bike mfg's that don't recommend using synthetic oils as it will cause clutch slippage, ie Honda, Kawasaki, etc. My wife is not used to this happening with her street bike. She is not happy to have to "rock" the bike back & forth as it is not always convenient.

It was about 62 degrees ..........bikes haven't been run this year until now. I was the same deal last season. Once again, once normally warmed up and then driven for a few seconds, clutch acts normal and they are properly adjusted according to the owners/shop manual. Never experienced this problem before in 45+ years of operating motorcycles. Sticking clutches is new to me. ??

When bikes with a wet clutch have been sitting for a week or more, it's always been a good idea to hold the clutch in for at least a few seconds after starting in neutral before dropping it into gear. If the bike lurches forward or stalls, you didn't hold it in long enough. A friend told me this back in 1971 when I started working at the Yamaha dealer.
    rurlndum likes this.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Your 'beemers' are running dry clutches............what are you running for oil in your '13 TW ?

Try a different oil. Search the threads. Your problem has been covered a lot. I road mine all winter with Motul 10w40 and it was 0 degrees some days the clutch plates never stuck together.. I am a betting man and I bet the Mobile 1 or Similar in 10W40 cures it.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

2014 BMW F800GS

2007 BMW R1200R

I have a pair of 06 Tw's and one of them does the same thing the other does not. The only difference between the two is the amount of miles on each one. The one that does this from time to time is has ~2200 miles on it the other one that never does it has 14k. Both have amsoil 10w40 in them. I honestly think its a break in thing and the clutch is not fully there yet on the one with 2200 miles on it. When i first got the bike it had 1800 miles on it and it has gotten better as i have put more on it. If i have not ridden it for a week or more i let it warm up for a few minutes before i take off and its fine.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links