hard to start - runs but idles too fast
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: hard to start - runs but idles too fast

hard to start - runs but idles too fast

I have to press the starter button 5-10 times while opening the throttle halfway to get it to start. Choke doesn't help, i need to twist the throttle to get it to start. For the first 5 minutes it wants to stall at idle, but accellerates and runs fine. Once it gets warmed up, it doesnt stall at idle anymore but the idle is too fast.

I tried adjusting the throttle stop screw (?), the screw on the left side on the bottom of the carburetor. If I try to turn it down to a normal idle speed, it stalls even when warm.

If I open and close the throttle very quickly that stalls it sometimes too.

I just cleaned all the jets in the carburetor but no change.

Jets are stock, exhaust stock.

Thank you for reading.

I'd run a heavy dose of Lucus Deep Creep Fuel Cleaner or some Seafoam and see what happens before doing anything else. How's the plug look? Airfilter?
    GIFUTW likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Put about 3 ounces in. Was it sitting a while or worked on recently?
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, try some Lucus.

Keep us posted.

Turn the pilot screw out 1 full turn and try starting again. If this has good results (and I bet it will) , proceed to warm the bike up to operating temp and adjust the pilot mixture. Once warm, turn the idle down to 800-1000 rpms. Slowly turn the pilot screw out (or in) until the idle reaches its highest level. Back the throttle stop screw out until the idle is at an acceptable speed and you should be good to go. Good luck!
    fishguy and GIFUTW like this.
    God willin' and the creek don't rise.

50short. Your response seems to indicate that you think he is running too rich. I think so too.
    GIFUTW likes this.

Well, I can't say for sure without hearing the engine, but in my experience with these little thumpers an erratic idle is usually attributable to pilot mixture. I finally put a thumb knob on my pilot screw because I got tired of adjusting it with a screwdriver every week and burning myself. My bike will idle differently and act up if the ambient temp fluctuates even 10 degrees. The relative humidity affects it too.
    GIFUTW likes this.

If the pilot jet is blocked it will idle fast and erratic and will die if you slow the idle down. The reason being that it is running on the low speed circuit and not the idle(pilot jet) circuit.
    50short, GIFUTW and docjekyll2002 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by arrowsmith View Post
    If the pilot jet is blocked it will idle fast and erratic and will die if you slow the idle down. The reason being that it is running on the low speed circuit and not the idle(pilot jet) circuit.
    Absolutely correct. Good point Arrowsmith!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links