Oil to Head - Bolt test question.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Oil to Head - Bolt test question.

Oil to Head - Bolt test question.

Ok gents, I just got a New to me 2006 TW. So this weekend I changed the oil and filter (along with a few more things) anyway. I started the motor and loosened the bolt and after about a min still didn't see anything drip.
    So then I wondered if I should take it all the way out. Well I did that and started it again this time oil gushed out. (a lot and soaked my red shop rag pretty good before I managed to shut it off) Ok so now Im thinking maybe it took a min or 2 to get oil up there.
    So I tried it again with just loosening the bolt and no drips. Maybe I should rev it a little to raise oil pressure?

Whats the right way to do this test?
    1989 TW200 - replaced almost everything!

Quote Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
    Don't do it. No reason to really.
    Peterb and RaZed1 like this.

rbm
    Ok gents, I just got a New to me 2006 TW. So this weekend I changed the oil and filter (along with a few more things) anyway. I started the motor and loosened the bolt and after about a min still didn't see anything drip.
    So then I wondered if I should take it all the way out. Well I did that and started it again this time oil gushed out. (a lot and soaked my red shop rag pretty good before I managed to shut it off) Ok so now Im thinking maybe it took a min or 2 to get oil up there.
    So I tried it again with just loosening the bolt and no drips. Maybe I should rev it a little to raise oil pressure?

Same thing happened to me, it didn't flow until I removed the bolt all the way. Now I know better, as long as I clean the filter I have in there I don't bother to check. If I ever change the filter, I'll check it again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Just checked my owner's manual in regards to oil and filter changing. No mention of loosening that bolt so why do it?

Well if you got a bad filter or a two hole one accidently, you would be glad you checked it. It doesn't say to do it in the owners manual or the shop manual that I could see either. If you have done major work such as the base gasket or had the head or valve train apart, I think I would check it then though.
    Fred likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Thanks for the responses, but still asking, should I see it drip through the threads after loosening the bolt?
    1989 TW200 - replaced almost everything!

Scanned page out of my owners manual.

The other test you can do after an oil change is to go for a quick ride. If you don't hear the cam making "squeal of death" followed by the engine stalling after 15-25 miles then congrats everything is fine.

The oil should weep out of the loosened bolt like room temperature maple syrup.
    Last edited by rm_hm; 06-09-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    frog13 and Byron like this.

Thanks for the responses, but still asking, should I see it drip through the threads after loosening the bolt?
    Here's what I do to avoid a mess: Put a postage stamp sized piece of paper towel or toilet tissue under the bolt after loosening it several turns. Start engine. Rev slightly and wait until the tissue shows obvious signs of oil soaking. (Or one minute max if it does not)

Tighten bolt. NOTE!!! 10 NM is WAY too much torque for this soft bolt! Many have sheared off the bolt head this way. I use a screwdriver with one hand to give it final torque....you can't over torque it with a screwdriver unless you use both hands. Make sure it's the right size or you will bugger the head and be forced to use a box end from then on.

Technically, this is a JIS screw, not a Phillips, but at this large size (Phillips #3) you can get away with using a Phillips. (NOT so with smaller ones like the carb bowl screws!)

I think it's a quick little safety check that should be a habit EVERY time you service the filter.....someday it may save you several hundred dollars and a lot of down time.

I HOPE rm_hm is kidding about just going for a little ride....when you hear that squeal your engine is already TOAST!!!!
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 06-09-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    mlong and Fred like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

When I do mine, I back the bolt out so I can see 5 or 6 threads and they look clean and defined. After about 45 seconds, oil starts to seep out and the threads start looking less defined. If I let it run for another 30 seconds or so (total time 1:15) enough oil has come out that it will start to ooze down the head where the bolt protrudes. With the bolt still in, it will not be a lot of oil.
    FALCON likes this.

Thanks for the input.

My 2006 Owner's Manual reads as follows: "Start the engine, and then let it idle for several minutes while checking it for oil leakage. If oil is leaking, immediately turn the engine off and check for the cause."

We definitely have two different sets of instructions here. I wonder what year the changes went into effect?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links