"Upon reassembly-No Spark!"
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: "Upon reassembly-No Spark!"

"Upon reassembly-No Spark!"

Sounds familar,no?
    Ok,here are the details-the TW is an '89 model,stock electrical system,functioning properly when disassembled a few months back for this project/ rebuild.
    Now,while the electrical system is stock,I am using only the magneto portion for ignition-no battery,E-start,T-signals,etc. Based upon everything that I have read about this electrical system ,it is quite similar to the same set up Yamaha used in their RDLC two stroke twins(250+350),of which I have owned quite a few.....

My strategy here was to leave all of the charging coils in tact,inside the case,and use only the coil(s) required to feed the ign. coil and CDI unit,along with removing the various safety switches that are on the bike,which would require leaving those individual circuits either 'open' or 'closed' depending upon the circumstances.
    Next, the entire wiring harness is intact,un- modified at this point,because I first want to confirm the running properly before paring away the unnecessary wires,leaving only those required-nothing has been 'hacked',yet.

I've measured the resistance of:

Ignition Coil-
    Primary-1.1-1.2 Ohms
    Secondary- 16,810 Ohms

Magneto-

White/green wires(drives ign. coil)-835 Ohms
    Brn/Red wires(drives CDI unit) - 0 Ohms
    Brown wire to Earth- 0 Ohms

In measuring the output voltage of the Orange wire(to ign. coil)-0 volts

Also-
    I believe that the following original,now unnecessary circuits should be left 'open'(not jumper-ed or grounded)

Neutral switch
    Sidestand switch
    Engine Run switch

My reference material is the illustration '7-5' of the Yamaha TW200 Service manual,which shows(only) the entire ignition system circuit.I am using a Fluke 115 multimeter.

Finally,again,I am attempting to use only the major components(ign. coil,CDI unit,and the relative portion(s) of the flywheel magneto),which sufficient enough to allow normal operation-so,I have a component problem,I believe....

Thoughts? Suggestions?

check wiring on cdi and ground circuit, but first check to make sure your spark plug wire is securely attached to the electrode (spark plug cap) I had to cut and rescrew it back onto the wire and made the difference for me. its almost always the simple things and the last one you check (duh). Good luck!
    87 TW200 the little beast lives and breathes- FIRE!
    00 TTR125
    03 DRZ400E
    06 TTR125
    06 DL650

Sounds like you know pretty well what you're doing already..

I had no spark once. Went through the entire system, took the stator out, everything. Turned out to be the kill switch wire that I'd forgot to plug in.

You mentioned that you believe the side stand switch circuit should be left open? I'm not very experienced in electrical terms so forgive me if I don't understand, but to bypass the side stand switch you need to close it. Although if you are in neutral it shouldn't matter.

Zack
    Last edited by Zack; 06-08-2014 at 06:28 AM.
    Zack

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

On re-assembly it is possible that the magneto cover pinched or cut into the wire harness. The routing of the ignition harness is critical and is illustrated in the service manual.

Don't ask me how I know.

At this point,I believe 'trigger coil' is likely faulty,given it's zero readings. The red/brn wires are the' source coil',which drives the CDI,I think.That leaves the yel/white wires,which are ac output,going to the rectifier/regulator to become a dc voltage source for battery,etc. The remaining wires-,white/green, relate to the 'trigger' coil. The manual information is very vague,the illustrations poor at best.
    Worst case would be the CDI unit itself having failed;best case would be that I missed a connection(Zack-I believe you're right,the sidestand system should be jumpered to mimic the closed circuit as when the stand is 'up'). I believe that both of the mentioned coils can be easily rewound,and if I have to have this done,I will removed the ac charging coils/lugs from the stator frame.
    I don't think that anyone mfg's an entire aftermarket ignition system for the TW. After all,this OEM system is 25 years old....
    PS- I neglected to mention initially that I did in fact get a 'jolt'(screwdriver in the plugcap 'test') ONCE,then nothing since.......

Did you see this https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...g-diagram.html

May be of some help.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Thank you,goldenhtr. Unfortunately,none of those excellent examples relate to my particular TW,as they are Euro models. Having similar for my non-CA '88 would be very helpful.
    This 'journey' has been interesting,certainly not fun,tho. In searching the 'Net,I've found a fair amount of information;in old/other forums,etc. Unfortunately,there are voids and contradictions in the information shared by those trying to sort out the problem(s) and help others. Judging by the significant lack of CDI problem related threads and responses,this is clearly not a topic that many TW owners are adept at.....self included. No one opens this can of worms voluntarily.I am gaining an education,tho. At this point,I believe that the source and trigger coils are functioning properly,and,I've negated the various 'safeties' correctly,which leaves just one component(CDI). If that is the situation,then either obtaining a used functioning unit,or replacing the entire system with an after-market unit that I have found are my options....I'm certainly not paying $300++ for a new OEM unit.
    (My TW is an early '88,the 772nd bike built for US market,with the 2nd generation 10 wire CDI box.(2YG-MO).)

NEWS FLASH! UPDATE-
    Upon checking the values of the various components once again(after making minor repairs to nicked wires,etc.) The source coil(red& brn wires) reads '0'. I still plan to check my CDI unit momentarily replacing it with a known functioning unit,but this reading of 0 is a show stopper by itself.....

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by Landser View Post
    NEWS FLASH! UPDATE-
    Upon checking the values of the various components once again(after making minor repairs to nicked wires,etc.) The source coil(red& brn wires) reads '0'. I still plan to check my CDI unit momentarily replacing it with a known functioning unit,but this reading of 0 is a show stopper by itself.....
    I don't know if I'd connect a known good CDI to that...
    rurlndum likes this.

I agree,rbm,I'm first going to replace the source coil......The CDI unit is a real 'piece of work',based upon what I've been reading about other's woes....some (temporary) remedies include freezing the unit(to confirm it's failure at room temp). It wouldn't surprise me if someone claims to have fixed theirs by chanting while tossing chicken guts over their left shoulder...... That IgniTech unit is looking better and better!
    MTLHead likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links