Tire and rack suggestions needed!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've already decided to swap out the stock tires on my new 2010 TW for more conservative street-oriented rubber. I'm looking at the Bridgestone TW 203 and 204; Shinko also makes a street tire, the SR428. Any experience or insights about either of these?

I've also looked through the posts for a rear rack. Can the stock Yamaha rear rack be used with any of the soft saddle bag options available? I want to carry gear but I'm not going around the world. At this point, two or three day rides on the old mining roads in the San Juans in SW Colorado are all I envision.

Suggestions welcome...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobopoet View Post
    I've already decided to swap out the stock tires on my new 2010 TW for more conservative street-oriented rubber. I'm looking at the Bridgestone TW 203 and 204; Shinko also makes a street tire, the SR428. Any experience or insights about either of these?

I've also looked through the posts for a rear rack. Can the stock Yamaha rear rack be used with any of the soft saddle bag options available? I want to carry gear but I'm not going around the world. At this point, two or three day rides on the old mining roads in the San Juans in SW Colorado are all I envision.

Suggestions welcome...thanks!

The TW203/204 tire option will not perform well on the dirt mining roads. Can be done, but when the road surfuace is soft or muddy you'll be very limited. you'll be okay if you stick to the well-maintained roads, though.

The Yamaha rack is weak and small compared to the aftermarket racks like the Cycleracks.

I HAD A CHANCE TO EXPERIENCE THE TW 203 AND 204 AND I WAS DISAPPOINTED WITH IT NOT JUST OFF-ROAD BUT WORST ON-ROAD. THESE TIRE COMBO MADE ME SLIP A FEW SCARY TIMES ON HARD SURFACE DOING A HARD TURN WHICH I HAVE DONE A MILLION TIMES ON THE STOCK TIRES WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. A LOT OF TW OWNERS WHO HAVE THESE TIRES SWORE IT MADE THE RIDE SMOOTHER AND EVEN FOR SOME INCREASED THEIR TOP SPEED. WELL I DONT SEE IT THAT WAY AT ALL, ON MY EXPERIENCE THE STOCKERS ARE WAY BETTER ON ROAD THAN THE TW203 AND 204. THE STOCK FRONT TIRES SUCK ON DIRT THOUGH. JUST MY 2 CENTS AND DONT WANT TO HURT ANYBODIES FEELINGS. OH IF ANYBODIES WONDERING I PUT 3K ON THE TW203/204, THE REAR TIRE IS WHAT SLIPS A LOT SPECIALLY ON WET(ASPHALT) OR FEW SMALL SAND PARTICLES(ON ASPHALT) OR EVEN PAINTED ASPHALT FOR THAT MATTER. I THINK THE STOCK TIRES WORKED BETTER ON CORNERING BECAUSE THE TIRE COMPOUND IS SOFTER AND JUST HAS THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF SPACING FOR WATER AND LOOSE SAND/ROCK PARTICLES ON ASPHALT..THIS IS MY HONEST EXPERIENCE, I CURRENTLY HAVE BIGHORN 2 AND A SEDONA DIRT TIRE IN THE FRONT. I HOPE THIS GIVES YOU A LITTLE PERSPECTIVE ON THESE TIRES. CHEERS

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

How about losing the caps if you want anyone to read your posts?

im sorry it bothered you qwerty, i will do as you ask. one thing i want to ask. i saw the option to make this letters bigger and i tried to click on 5 but nothing happened. i cant see very well.i will experiment with it.

Easy to make your letters bigger. Type the text first, then wipe through what you want bigger, click the Sizes pull down and pick one of the sizes. You will see the text you wiped through have (size="#") in front of it and (/size="#") after it (except the parentheses will be square brackets). What you are doing is inserting some HTML Code. When you post the message, you will see the text you selected it bigger. This is also how you can color text or apply different fonts. Like this --

This text is size 6, bold, in the Comic Sans Font, and Red.

There are all kinds of things you can do with the "Other Style" tools if you are so inclined. Below is horizonal rule

[hr]

[spoiler]This is a "Spoiler"[/spoiler] (A way to have a hidden message that people cannot see unless they click the button)

An acronymn (hover the term and see what it means)

[acronym='Parked Motorcycle Syndrome']PMS[/acronym]

The list of things you can do is pretty extensive if you know HTML, SQL, and all that other geeky stuff.

Larger text is among the easiest ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Truelight View Post
    Easy to make your letters bigger. Type the text first, then wipe through what you want bigger, click the Sizes pull down and pick one of the sizes. You will see the text you wiped through have (size="#") in front of it and (/size="#") after it (except the parentheses will be square brackets). What you are doing is inserting some HTML Code. When you post the message, you will see the text you selected it bigger. This is also how you can color text or apply different fonts. Like this --

This text is size 6, bold, in the Comic Sans Font, and Red.

There are all kinds of things you can do with the "Other Style" tools if you are so inclined. Below is horizonal rule

[hr]

[spoiler]This is a "Spoiler"[/spoiler] (A way to have a hidden message that people cannot see unless they click the button)

An acronymn (hover the term and see what it means)

[acronym='Parked Motorcycle Syndrome']PMS[/acronym]

The list of things you can do is pretty extensive if you know HTML, SQL, and all that other geeky stuff.

Larger text is among the easiest ones.

Slowpoke, I'll have to be the odd duck here and dissagree with you about the TW203-204 tires on the street

I ran the stock knobbies on both my 2008 TW200's for about 4K miles each. They shook, vibrated, stepped out on sharp turns, and the famous death wing front tire washed out as everyone knows. I've now got about 6K on the TW203-204 tires and I'm not sure I'll ever go back

Most of my riding is two lane hwys, coastal roads and fireroads. I like to travel 200-300 miles a day when I ride.

The stock knobbies are a little better in the dirt, but I'm sure everyone on this forum will agree, both the stock knobbies and the street tires suck in greasy mud and deep sand! Sounds like you didn't adjust your air pressure accordingly.

When I first tried the street tires I ran 30 psi or close to it. Slippery as an eel on dirt roads for sure! I then went down to the recommended pressures for street use and I can scare myself touching both pegs down at anytime. I dropped down to 15-18 for dirt roads and like it much better. I can even flat track it around the dirt track much eaiser with the street tires than the knobbies.

The knobbies tend to grab and stand you up and ride straight when you want to turn. The front street tire grips pretty good flat tracking and the rear tires spins and steps out in total control and allows you to play scott parker

So I guess we can agree to dissagree on this one.

I think I'll try the Cheng shin knobbies next time I do dirt only. They are a little softer and have a little bit more aggressive pattern than the bridgestone factory knobbies.

Ride safe

slowpoke, most operating systems have a control panel component that lets you adjust the size of all the fonts on your screen.

On my computer the path is Windows Icon/Control Panel/Appearance and/Personalization/Display/Make text and Other Items Larger or Smaller.

There is also a doodad called "Magnifier" that makes things bigger. Takes some getting used to, but it is sometimes a big help. You can find it by going to the Windows Icon/All Programs/Accessories/Ease of Access/Magnifier

These features certainly make using my computer more enjoyable. I hope they do the same for you.

I partially agree with slowpoke on Bridgestone TW203&204 tires, I like them because they produce less noise and vibration but the rear tire slides quite easily, and riding on dirty roads, wet leaves, gravel etc. can be scary. I don't think the bike would actually go down but the feeling is unpleasant. I've always thought this was due to my tires being very old - with so few T-Dubs around, it's hard to find brand new tires that weren't manufactured years ago.

On the contrary, my new VeeRubber (knobby) tires feel like chewing-gum and squeak on the floor just by moving the bike in the garage! I guess they won't last as long though... you can't have it all.
    Red Max - 1996 TW200 - 14/45, 320mm toothed brake disc, X-Racing titanium exhaust, Ricochet skid plate, Mule hitch pins, large pegs, VeeRubber VRM274&275 tires

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links