Clunky sound when downshifting
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Clunky sound when downshifting

Clunky sound when downshifting

Does anyone else experience this when they downshift sometimes. It doesn't happen all the time to me. sometimes when I shift down I get the normal click and other times it clunks and makes a lot more noise. Anyone know why this might happen?

They are clunky and older technology. It kinda comes with the bike. You have to think old school bikes where you had to blip the throttle a little and try to match up the road speed with the gear you are trying to go into. A little practice and you will find out where is the sweet spot for downshifting. First gear clunks sometimes no matter what you do. Don't worry about it, the TW can take it.
    rurlndum and williamemack like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Too-high idle speed, down shifting into first at too-high speed, too little or improper viscosity oil (or even just cold temps - making the oil cold), or an improperly adjusted clutch could all cause that effect. Some "click" is normal, but a loud "clunk" or a "bang" is not. Make sure you are pulling the clutch lever in all the way and that you close the throttle completely when you down shift.
    williamemack likes this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yes these are very clunky machines..! I'm yet to achieve a perfect downshift on a TW..! Lol

Sent from my MT15i using Tapatalk
    2006 TW200E (JDM) -> 100% stock, Shinko SR428 front, Bridgestone TW204 rear, 14/45 stock gearing

Thought the same thing when I first rode mine (new). I adjusted the clutch to where it disengages in the first 1/3 of lever movement just to make sure it was disengaging in full motion ... still does it.

It doesnt clunk so bad when you downshift according to gear relation to speed. If you try to down shift from 4th to 2nd or 1st, @ 30 mph for example, it will clunk much worse than downshifting to 1st below 10mph.
    Last edited by Texas TDub; 06-16-2014 at 04:50 AM.

As long as I downshift one gear at a time and let the motor slow down between shifts mine is very quiet.. I just keep doing this until I'm ready to stop, then it's into 1st.. Both our 06 dubs do the same thing. The only trouble my wife has is going into neutral. Some times she goes by it..I use full syn. 10/40w.. When I changed to this oil it really helped my wife's neutral problem a lot.OMM.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess its just kinda the nature of the beast. I just had to ask about it being my first motorcycle and wanted to make sure nothing internally was messed up. Its still under warranty if it is.

A clunk means it shifted to another gear. After you have ridden it awhile you will recognize a double clunk - yep thats first gear and its nice to be able to recognize it when its needed as the light turns green. If you want a clunk, you should buy an HD (my friends 91 softtail makes my TW200 and my Vulcan seem like purring kittens. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

My 2006 has never clunked during a gear change. But I shift it like my old Nortons, Triumphs and BSAs.

And neutral is easy to find while you are slowly rolling to a stop. At a standstill not so much.
    littletommy likes this.

On a different subject, I now have 611 miles on my bike that I bought brand new in April. Do you guys think that a re-jet will would be worth it for a slight boost in performance. I know it would be relatively cheap because a new main jet is about 10$ and shims would be a few dollars. Im at 615 feet above sea level and i would never get about 800. Im hearing a lot of people having a lot of luck with a 130 main jet with 2 needle shims. Would I also need a new pilot jet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links