Is it a KNOCK ?
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By B-dub

Thread: Is it a KNOCK ?

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH

Is it a KNOCK ?

As I was playing with the Dub today, (hey it's father's day!) I became concerned about a knocking sound I get at the upper end of the rev range as I'm going through the gears. I'm pretty sure I'm not over reving. The bike has about 1100 miles on it and was carefully broken in. Please tell me "they all do this"!

Thank you for your reply. Will
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

I've heard a slight knocking noise from new to now, 13,000 miles...My wife's does the same thing.. Mine sounds better now than it did new... As long as you haven't changed your oil lately and goofed up the oil filter you should be fine.. OMM.

The only sound I can recall hearing about that signaled a dying TW engine was a screeching sound coming from the cam turning in dry cam bearing saddles. That ordinarily occurs after getting the wrong oil filter. You probably saw the posts from a couple of guys on here that mistakenly rode their bikes for a few miles with no oil at all in them - with no noticeable damage.

These engines are tough. They are also air-cooled which means by nature they have to be built to looser tolerances than a water cooled engine. That translates to more noise. I've heard people say if you can't hear the valves on an air cooled engine, they're too tight. So, I guess what I'm saying is if the oil is clean, the right kind, and the right amount, and the valves and cam chain are adjusted correctly the sounds you are hearing are pretty likely normal, and nothing to worry about.

The only exception I can think of would be pre-ignition, or pinging. This would ordinarily occur if you load the engine as in WOT up a steep hill. Just going through the gears on a lightly loaded engine shouldn't cause pinging unless something is way out of wack. Since we can't easily change ignition timing on our TW's, just try the next higher grade of gasoline and see if the sound stops. If so, you've found the problem - if not you can return to the lower grade of gas, and it's probable the sound you're hearing is normal.
    Last edited by B-dub; 06-16-2014 at 08:44 AM.
    admiral, Zack and Peterb like this.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    Thanks B-dub and OMM. I think the sound is probably normal, but I might as well try the higher test gas. Couldn't hurt.
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

Well Wii Max
    What did you Fine out?
    Inquiring Minds what to know! Or is it Mines? as in detonation !

Quote Originally Posted by williamemack View Post
    Thanks B-dub and OMM. I think the sound is probably normal, but I might as well try the higher test gas. Couldn't hurt.
    Look at the bottom of this page under SIMILAR THREADS
    Norm in Arkansas
    2006 TW , Kick Starter , Shinko 241 front 4;00/18 ,Vesrah HD clutch springs. Carb jet Kit, Amsoil 10-40 , ALLSBALLS steering head bearings, Jimbo shield. Zeta drop -down bend handguards
    Ricochet skidplate from IMMIX RACING , BIKEMASTER Supersport mirrors XT350 fuel tank , member big foot pegs

Honda XR 600 , KTM 300 , BMW 1100 gs , 327 Cushman Truckster , KTM 625 SXC . Ural with sidecar

I had the same concern on my 2013 with 900 miles on it. Tried higher octance fuel and it didn't make a difference. My brother's 2009 sounds the same way. I am guessing it's just how they all sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by williamemack View Post

I am guessing I do not hear as well as you guys do!
    Look at the bottom of this page under SIMILAR THREADS
    Norm in Arkansas
    2006 TW , Kick Starter , Shinko 241 front 4;00/18 ,Vesrah HD clutch springs. Carb jet Kit, Amsoil 10-40 , ALLSBALLS steering head bearings, Jimbo shield. Zeta drop -down bend handguards
    Ricochet skidplate from IMMIX RACING , BIKEMASTER Supersport mirrors XT350 fuel tank , member big foot pegs

Honda XR 600 , KTM 300 , BMW 1100 gs , 327 Cushman Truckster , KTM 625 SXC . Ural with sidecar

TW ='s 87 octane .

Sponosred Links