Intermittent tick at idle after adjusting the valves
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By B-dub
  • 1 Post By btrnrsntfl

Thread: Intermittent tick at idle after adjusting the valves

Intermittent tick at idle after adjusting the valves

Hi guys!
    I did the first adjustment on the valves today, cold engine and I am pretty sure in the correct position. There seem to be two marks on the "flywheel", a set of vertical marks and another set with a horizontal line between. I turned the crank watching the exhaust valve open and close and then went one more revolution to the mark. The valve were within a couple of thousandths of spec, but I adjusted to .003" intake and .005" exhaust.
    The bike runs fabulous without the valve tick it had before. On first starting it sounds great, but when it warms up there is an intermittent tick at idle, seems to come from in the crankcase. Opening the throttle slightly makes it go away. I am not sure if it made the sound before as the valve tick may have covered it up.
    My guess is the cam chain tensioner needs adjustment. Am I wrong, or is there another possibility?

2012 with 1000 miles, BTW.
    This video makes the engine noises sharper than they are, but you can hear the intermittent tick. It is possible I am worrying over nothing, but it never hurts to ask those who know.

Last edited by btrnrsntfl; 06-17-2014 at 11:39 AM.

it sounds really bad in the video, but as you mentioned, it makes it sound worse. mine is quiet at idle but gets louder ticking when it gets revv'd.

how bad were the valves previously?

It's just a guess, but sometimes an exhaust leak will make a sound like that. If it was mine I would check to make sure the exhaust header bolts were torqued to spec, also where the header joins the muffler.

The two marks on the flywheel with a line between them are timing marks. On my TW the other line actually has a line across the top of it showing it to be TDC.

Your TW is new enough that it has an automatic cam chain tensioner, so it's not likely that is what is making the noise.

The video is very helpful, thanks. Hopefully some of the other guys will have an idea as to what the noise could be.

By the way, I just did my valves, also. I took the advice of some of the guys on the forum and just removed the cam sprocket cover, then lined up the mark on the sprocket with the little pointer at the top of the opening. As I understood it this will always be TDC on compression, the correct place to adjust your valves. This removes all the guesswork, and seems a little easier and simpler to do. You don't even need to remove your spark plug if you don't want to. Just something to consider the next time you do your valves.
    Last edited by B-dub; 06-17-2014 at 12:49 PM.
    gamorg02 likes this.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Just rode it to town and back, got up to 70 a couple times and can't really hear the sound anymore. Maybe it just need the wee run out of it? The little engine certainly has spunk...
    admiral likes this.

Cool! That's the kind of fix we like! Yeah, the TW does a great job for just 200 cc's, and I have to agree - one of the best things we can do for our TW's is ride them.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Sponosred Links