Bike starts with battery and not kickstarter??
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Bike starts with battery and not kickstarter??

Angry Bike starts with battery and not kickstarter??

Hello Guys

I am married to my 96 Tdub....since iv'e had no battery for 3 months, ive been kicking it. It never took more than 3 strokes to fire but now iv'e had to kick 100 times. So i took a car battery and vroom...first time. Please could anyone respond as to what this problem may be..When its running from the battery and i then disconnect the battery, the engine quits.?? this baffles me as i rode around without a battery for so long. Just before this problem i blew my headlight bulb...soooooo frustrating as i live in Mozambique in the bush!!! My Bike replaced my cheating girlfriend so please problem solve this with me.....
    Last edited by kemp.darryl; 06-18-2014 at 04:53 AM.

rbm
    The first thing to check is all of your wiring connections. Are you trying to kick start it with it in gear with the clutch pulled in? If so, try kicking it in neutral.
    kemp.darryl likes this.

Thanks for your reply. I kick in neutral. I have may little crimps in my wiring, I took seat off last week and i do noticed that somehow some wires where squashed and a blue cable exposing a little copper. I taped up and and same issue. My two relay boxes both tick loudly also when running off battery...mmm super frustrating as when running she's a beast.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

No idea on the technicalities of your problem, but if you do need any bits sent up to Mozam, and you need any assistance, let me know, I am in Durban and can pick stuff up and post it if need be.
    Finally picked up a Tdub...

Awesome..Thanks Mr.Paynter...bring your bike across the fence for some real fun..Cheers

I'm not a tw expert at all but I think you are failing to get spark. If you had bare wires showing you could have fried something in the ignition circuit or possibly the charging system. Most bikes I have been around used a stator type charging system for spark and to charge the battery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    kemp.darryl likes this.

Should have asked before, did you try changing the spark plug?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The TW does not need a battery to run. The ignition circuit has it's own coils and does not need the battery or charging system.
    On my 91 there is a wire under the seat that makes it quit running or not start when unplugged. When it was just lose if I could get it started it would run.

hey darryl

it's true that the tw ignition system is separate from the 12volt and shouldn't need it to run.

however, there is an ignition interlock relay; either it, or the sidestand switch, must provide a connection between the blue/yellow wire on the cdi and the kill switch, which then connects to ground in the "run" position.

so, the blue/yellow wire from the cdi must be grounded for the cdi to run. if you cut this wire (in a way so that you can re-connect it later), and ground the cdi end of this blue/yellow wire, you will have bypassed the sidestand switch, ign interlock, and kill switch. you are telling the cdi to run.

you can still turn it off at the key.

the blk/white wire at the cdi goes to the key switch, it must be _not grounded to run.

-

are you sure this is the original cdi unit, not a replacement 12v unit?

-

if it is the original cdi, those two wires are the only "on/off" switches.

the green, white wires are signal in; brown, red, and(yellow) are the power for the cdi. black is ground/-12v. orange is cdi output to the spark coil primary.

blue is some weird path to ground for the starter interlock, i (believe) it has no effect on the cdi.

if grounding the blue/yellow wire doesn't cure the problem, and you don't find any damaged wires, do you have an electrical meter? small led light? you can test more then if you need to .

when you say you "blew a headlight", did you blow a headlight or finally toast the 12v charging system because of running it with no battery? i ask because the 12v charging system may have been supplying enough power even on kickover to work the ignition interlock relay, and if it's toast , the relay now needs the car bat to operete. the blu/yell wire trick should answer that question.

-
    Last edited by slowmod; 06-22-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    kemp.darryl and greenbomb like this.

Slowmod..you rock man...fixed problem!!!!! Wahooo...i gained heaps of knowledge listning to you guys..thanks all!!

This is what i did...took the entire cable harness out, clean and inspected. I found two knotches from seat wear, lugged them up, bought a batterz and wala..now i have kickstand working and a one time ignition start! No More hard kicking..There was a definte short and bad ground...Cheers guys!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links