Shuts off when I stop/ Noobie questions
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gamorg02

Thread: Shuts off when I stop/ Noobie questions

Shuts off when I stop/ Noobie questions

Hi, Im Brian. Im 20, and just got my very first TW200. Its a 2003 model with Believe it or not, 7,459 miles on it. I just painted it, and Changed the front tire. Back tire is still the same.

Now I have 1 problem and some questions.

When Im going down the road, and im cruising at 55 everythings fine. But when someone forces me to make a quick stop, or the Light changed and I have to slow down, The engine dies when I pull the clutch and apply break. I been training my hand to give it gas while I pull the clutch so it wouldn't stall in the process of coming to a stop. I pulled the carb off and Cleaned the jets, and put them back on, but it still does the same thing. I just ordered a Pilot mixture tool to help with a mixture if That's the problem. I am very new at this whole motorcycle world and It was fun Taking the front tire off and changing the tire and tube by myself. It was like a bicycle it was fun. But What could be causing it to shut off during a quick stop? If I have to Adjust something, what is it and what is the suggested turns on it. (Remember Im just a young kid who knows a little about engines)

Also I have a question about the engine. I been noticing that there is something leaking on the engine. I don't know if its oil, or what I think is leaking is the black high temp paint I put on it to keep it painted. Something looks liquidy on the cooling fins. How can I Idenify if its oil or something else?

And lastly, what is the suggested Miles range to play with the valves. I have no intention on playing with them yet, but I would love to know the number so I can prepare when it hits that age.

Also this is just a optional question. In your own experience what tire wears the most on this bike. I know some diffent model bikes favor front tire wear and some models bikes favors back tire wear. Which One does the TW200 model bike favor in ya'lls experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfire17 View Post
    Hi, Im Brian. Im 20, and just got my very first TW200. Its a 2003 model with Believe it or not, 7,459 miles on it. I just painted it, and Changed the front tire. Back tire is still the same.

Now I have 1 problem and some questions.

When Im going down the road, and im cruising at 55 everythings fine. But when someone forces me to make a quick stop, or the Light changed and I have to slow down, The engine dies when I pull the clutch and apply break. I been training my hand to give it gas while I pull the clutch so it wouldn't stall in the process of coming to a stop. I pulled the carb off and Cleaned the jets, and put them back on, but it still does the same thing. I just ordered a Pilot mixture tool to help with a mixture if That's the problem. I am very new at this whole motorcycle world and It was fun Taking the front tire off and changing the tire and tube by myself. It was like a bicycle it was fun. But What could be causing it to shut off during a quick stop? If I have to Adjust something, what is it and what is the suggested turns on it. (Remember Im just a young kid who knows a little about engines)

Also I have a question about the engine. I been noticing that there is something leaking on the engine. I don't know if its oil, or what I think is leaking is the black high temp paint I put on it to keep it painted. Something looks liquidy on the cooling fins. How can I Idenify if its oil or something else?

And lastly, what is the suggested Miles range to play with the valves. I have no intention on playing with them yet, but I would love to know the number so I can prepare when it hits that age.

Also this is just a optional question. In your own experience what tire wears the most on this bike. I know some diffent model bikes favor front tire wear and some models bikes favors back tire wear. Which One does the TW200 model bike favor in ya'lls experience.

I'm a noob with tw's myself but have been riding and working on bikes for myself and customers for a while.

It sounds to me your coasting enricher diaphragm is causing issues (link for some reading - How a carburetor works: Carbs explained - Ninja250Wiki), as that explains as well as I could.

did this happen after you cleaned the carbs? Carb cleaner is known for fucking with rubber, so it may have cracks in it, or it may have previously anyways. I haven't had my carb open yet, but the diaphgram should be part #17 here:

I'd start by inspecting that, as they're like $20 (i'm sure cheaper options) and for how cheap i'd probably also replace the spring.

The passageway there may be clogged too, use some compressed air (not much pressure) and see if the flow seems good.

I'd spray some brake cleaner or engine degreaser on the engine, then some gold bold, or other powder all over it once it dries. then run it. if its leaking oil it should leave a trail where its leaking from.

valves should be checked at 600 miles, then every 3k after that, if you don't know when they've been done, i'd do them, its easy and they're probably within spec.

most motorcycles wear 2:1 ratio, rear:front, not sure why the tw would be any different, but street legal knobbies are new to me (esp this size). I put some sr428s just on myself so we'll see.
    IzakGt likes this.

My 2003 front tire was worn out before the rear with me ridding it. The back tire wears out first with my 17 year old ridding it.

Sponosred Links