Size of the o-ring for the carb float valve seat?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Size of the o-ring for the carb float valve seat?

Size of the o-ring for the carb float valve seat?

Has anyone ever been able to find JUST the o-ring for the float valve seat on the newer style carbs?

You can buy kit 5LB-14390-00-00 (NEEDLE VALVE ASSY) which has the o-ring, but it also has the seat, the needle valve and the small mesh strainer and it costs $17 plus shipping. My seat/valve/strainer look good and I hate to pay over $20 just to get the small o-ring.

I was curious if anyone knew the size of this o-ring, or had tried to source one outside of Yamaha?

Here is a photo of the o-ring:

NOTE: THIS PHOTO COMES FROM jbfla WHO IS INCREDIBLY AWESOME. He is "MR. TW CARB" and over the years has provided mucho good photos and instructions for our little carbs. He should be in our forum hall of fame.

Hi all, I'm the new guy who bought darnold's bike. I believe I need a needle/seat ass'y. and much appreciate the part number here, but what vendor? What's the best parts source? Thanks, Don

Bought P/N 5LB-14390-00-00 from Bike Bandit ( Ca. source ). Probably also available at Boats.net ( Ga. ship location ). It is for my 2010 TW200.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by old white truck View Post
    Has anyone ever been able to find JUST the o-ring for the float valve seat on the newer style carbs?

You can buy kit 5LB-14390-00-00 (NEEDLE VALVE ASSY) which has the o-ring, but it also has the seat, the needle valve and the small mesh strainer and it costs $17 plus shipping. My seat/valve/strainer look good and I hate to pay over $20 just to get the small o-ring.

I was curious if anyone knew the size of this o-ring, or had tried to source one outside of Yamaha?

Here is a photo of the o-ring:

NOTE: THIS PHOTO COMES FROM jbfla WHO IS INCREDIBLY AWESOME. He is "MR. TW CARB" and over the years has provided mucho good photos and instructions for our little carbs. He should be in our forum hall of fame.
    Good question and I think I can find out. Will let you know as soon as I find out sometime today (hopefully) unless someone else beats me to it.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Thanks.

This is for the o-ring size for the needle valve seat: It looks like 2-010 would be a good bet but if the cross section is a little to big then the next size smaller should work, 2-009.

If you don't have a ready source of o-rings near you then PM me your address and I can send you a couple of each.

Vortex -- I am sorry but I can't help you with what you need.
    Last edited by elime; 06-23-2014 at 03:56 PM.
    old white truck likes this.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vortex View Post
    Hi all, I'm the new guy who bought darnold's bike. I believe I need a needle/seat ass'y. and much appreciate the part number here, but what vendor? What's the best parts source? Thanks, Don
    Try boats.net, follow the links for your year, etc... You'll find the part #.

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    This is for the o-ring size for the needle valve seat: It looks like 2-010 would be a good bet but if the cross section is a little to big then the next size smaller should work, 2-009.

If you don't have a ready source of o-rings near you then PM me your address and I can send you a couple of each.
    elime,

THANKS for the size information!

I will go down to my local Ace Hardware and see if they have those 2 sizes and give them a try.

I really appreciate the information and the offer - I am sure I can find some locally.

Quote Originally Posted by old white truck View Post
    elime,

I will go down to my local Ace Hardware and see if they have those 2 sizes and give them a try.

If it doesn't work out the offer stands. And you are welcome. Tony
    Mel and Fred like this.

Size confirmed

After quite a few hours of research and measuring I have this figured out.

I measured the O-ring that is supplied by Yamaha in the 5LB-14390-00-00 kit, bought some O-rings at my local hardware store and also ordered some online. I compared them all.

The Yamaha O-ring for this application is 1.5mm (thick) x 7.0mm (I.D).

I do not have a durometer to measure hardness, but by "feel" I would say the Yamaha O-ring is 50 or 70 duro. Duro 50 O-rings are not commonly used so I went with Duro 70 / 75 for the O-rings I ordered.

For material, the choices are Buna-N* or Viton. Buna N is the most commonly used material for O-rings in general. Viton has a higher resistance to temperatures and chemicals than Buna-N – and is more expensive and less common. I don't know what the stock Yamaha O-ring is made of. From what I could find online, I believe that Buna-N should work as well as Viton in our TW carb application (if anyone else could confirm it would be great).
    (*Buna-N is the same as Nitrile.)

elime, thanks for your work in getting me started in the right direction on this. You are correct that the 2-010 O-ring is the closest non-metric size to the Yamaha O-ring. I could not find any local stores that carried metric O-rings, so for anyone that wants to by local (in the US) I would say that the 2-010 (also referred to by its nominal dimensions of 1/4" O.D. x 3/8" I.D. x 1/16" thickness) is your best shot. However, it is definitely a different size than the stock Yamaha O-ring that is metric and it would probably be a tight fit inserting the valve seat into the carb with a 2-010 O-ring.
    For a comparison, I put the various O-rings on the valve seat and then measured the outside diameter of the ring after it was in place on the seat. Here is what I found:

• The stock Yamaha O-ring from the 5LB-14390-00-00 kit: 0.410 inches
    • The 1.5 mm x 7.0 mm Buna-N O-ring purchased online: 0.409 inches (in other words, the same size as the stock Yamaha O-ring)
    • 1/4" O.D. x 3/8" I.D. x 1/16" O-ring from hardware store: 0.431 inches (this is the Parker 2-010 O-ring)
    • A 1.6 mm x 7.1 mm Buna-N O-ring also purchased online: 0.416 inches (it was listed as a standard metric O-ring so I bought it just as a trial)

Measurements of the O-rings in their un-stretched state (not on the valve seat) also confirm that the 1.5 mm x 7 mm matches the Yamaha O-ring.

I bought a Viton O-ring in 1.5 mm x 7.0 mm from theoringstore.com and I am going to use it.
    I also bought 10 Buna-N O-rings in the 1.5 mm x 7.0 mm size. If anyone has a need, I will be glad to send you one free-of charge in the US. Just PM me your name and address.

elime, maybe you could add this O-ring to your excellent O-ring sticky in the Technical Write-Ups section?

STUFF I LEARNED

Standard O-rings are traditionally specified by:
    Inside diameter (I.D.)
    Cross sectional diameter (thickness)
    Hardness (Durometer)
    Material (i.e., Buna N, Viton, Silicone, etc).
    Non-metric O-rings are sometimes listed by their nominal sizes (in 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2" increments) which are not quite the same as their actual measurements.

Metric O-rings are listed by their actual sizes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links