Clunk
Close

Thread: Clunk

Clunk

I purchased a 92 with ten thousand miles on it. I don't know any maintenance history of the bike other than was told of an top end rebuild around 8,000 miles. Anyways it runs good but I am pretty sure it needs a new steering head bearing, and the clutch seems tired. I have never messed with a clutch except cable adjustments, and never really dealt with diagnosing a problem other then to let it cool down because I was working it too hard trying to get up a hill(previous bikes).
    So it seems slow to engage after shifting followed by a clunk. I usually let off the gas shift then let out the clutch wait a second then give it gas again, when shifting under power it works just doesn't seem quite right to me. The problem is apparent when dropping the clutch to clear a log or something like that. It just doesnt snap the front tire up like I would think it should. Where do I start? Any help would be appreciated.

What oil are you running? Is the clutch actuator return spring seated properly...there are a lot of threads about this easy fix. Not sure what the clunk is coming from. It could be a worn shift drum of shift forks. Someone must've run it low on oil to warrant a new top end at 8k miles. Could damage the transmission I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God willin' and the creek don't rise.

Besides what 50short advised , there are lined-up marks on the actuating lever and the case down where this spring is located ( shifter side of the case) . I've read there is also an adjustment on the inside of the right case ,where the clutch plates are ( rear brake side). Is the clutch cable stretched?.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I changed it with Mobil 1 4T, I haven't checked the outer adjustments yet, but I will this weekend, it sounds and feels internal to me, what are symptoms of worn clutch plates and springs. Shift forks sound complicated and expensive. I don't think the cable is stretched.

Sponosred Links