Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By frog13
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By Fred

Thread: Rear Wheel issues...again

Rear Wheel issues...again

Okay making some progress on the bike now and thinking I am about done....then I took the rear sprocket off to replace it with the new one I ordered....when all hell broke lose.

*Found out that several of the bolts are slightly warped and one of them is actually broke up to where the nut goes on the backside of the sprocket.

**Then to find that several of the locker washers are so soft that they look like a groundhog had chewed them up and now I personally don't want to put them on then have to take it off later once the inspector gives me the finger.

So my question is; Are those locker washers (fold over tab ones that hold the bolt heads on the sprocket) universal?
    Also the bolts I ordered from partzilla are on Back-order, so could i just use the 5/16 grade 8 bolts from the hardware store and be fine? I read about the sizing on the chain changing sticky under the tech write ups (those bolts being backordered is causing me issues since the locker washers are on the same order) . Thanks guys. Home stretch!

Usually the hardware stores carry metric bolts and lock nuts also. I would get the same size bolt and lock nuts. Does the 5/16 have any play? If not they would be ok. The nut retainers I would imagine that some others are the same size but not all. With new lock nuts and some Locktight I wouldnt be worried about the nuts coming lose but thats just me. I would check them once in a while. The bikes make less HP than most riding mowers so I wouldnt worry about the bolts being non factory. Again thats just my opinion. For instance a 400-500hp small block chevy only has 3 3/8 inch bolts holding the torque converter to the flywheel. If that can hold together while moving a 4,000lb car into the high. 12 second 1/4 mile then im not worried about 5 or 6 decent size bolts holding 12-14hp from a machine weighing 500 lbs or less with most riders.
    Last edited by small's; 06-24-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Not being a jerk when typing this ,but, the engineer's put a specific size of bolt , nut ,and lock washer's on there in regard to their R & D . Again , I'm not trying too add to one's troubles or cause a psychsis about safety...just sayin . I can't recite them off hand but surely there are other vendor's out there that have them....Bay area Yamaha comes to mind ( where most rider's obtain their kick start "kit's"...OEM from Japan ).
    KingVolcano likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Not being a jerk when typing this ,but, the engineer's put a specific size of bolt , nut ,and lock washer's on there in regard to their R & D . Again , I'm not trying too add to one's troubles or cause a psychsis about safety...just sayin . I can't recite them off hand but surely there are other vendor's out there that have them....Bay area Yamaha comes to mind ( where most rider's obtain their kick start "kit's"...OEM from Japan ).
    Naw, I am pretty over all the harsh criticism. As long as the "super street" gentlemen don't start given their two cents this forum should survive. I am just curious about possible quick fixes and verifying obscured information for people that need it(currently me at this time). I am now personally going to just wait for the back-order. My order is giving me the 26th as a ship date finally. So I am just going to wait.

I see your gonna wait on your order, but thought I'd share what I did. I went to a rear dual sprocket setup. The original bolts were to short so I had to buy longer ones. I just went to the hardware store and bought longer bolts, regular spacer washers, nylon lock nuts, and lock washers. Been riding 2 years with this, and haven't had any loose bolts, nuts, etc. So there is an option to OEM, you just have to be willing to try, be real careful, and never hurts to inspect or check often.
    Fred likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

When I had a dual sprocket set up I used grade 8 5/16" bolts and it all worked very well. Personally I think grade 8 is overkill but better to be safe than sorry.

If you do a google search for metric conversions you will fine 8 mm = 5/16".

Read this: https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...bolt-size.html
    small's likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    When I had a dual sprocket set up I used grade 8 5/16" bolts and it all worked very well. Personally I think grade 8 is overkill but better to be safe than sorry.

If you do a google search for metric conversions you will fine 8 mm = 5/16".

Read this: https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...bolt-size.html
    Neat. Yeah overkill is better then being stranded in rush hour or worse...in the middle of nowhere. I appreciate the clarifications guys. Thanks

My metallurgical memory is a bit fuzzy but I if I recall the higher tensile strength of grade 8 fasteners comes at the slight expense of some shear strength, the force which the sprocket bolts are resisting . Very little compressive strength is needed to hold sprocket on wheel's hub, while shear strength is needed to resist sprocket spinning on wheel's hub assembly. In this relatively low stress application the mix of hardness vs. toughness and ductility are not critical. Just get proper metric diameter bolts and some form of lockwasher to satisfy PA vehicle inspector, tighten uniformly and have fun.
    small's likes this.

Sponosred Links