Final drive noise?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Final drive noise?

This is my first post. I'm 72, live in Painted Post NY and have been riding for over 40 years (Trials, Enduro and Road), mostly road for the last 20 years. Bought a 1989 TW200 with less than 3000 miles Sat. I love it so far but it does have a loud whine in the final drive (sound changes with the speed of bike, not engine speed]. It kind of sounds like straight cut gears. I adjusted the chain to the proper setting (1 notch) but that didn't seem to help much. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks - Matt Donovan

If the picture shows up I'm grabbing a couple beers. I removed the luggage but kind of like the windshield.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7588[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images

rbm
    Hello and welcome! Are you sure your chain isn't too tight?

If the tires are original, that is probably the problem. They are hardened and you are hearing road noise coming from the tires.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    If the tires are original, that is probably the problem. They are hardened and you are hearing road noise coming from the tires.
    My '96 with original tires sounds like an old 4-wheel drive truck with mud tires on it.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

I too have a noise pretty sure it's tires.
    scotti 158 it's old bias ply tires. I knew when there was a change in air pressure . And mine weren't mud tires.

They just about sing to you. The hum and whine gets louder the faster you go. I changed my 87's tires right away. It was the first thing I did on my bike. They looked new, still had nubs on them at 1400 original miles on them, but they were 25 years old. Replace them if they are original.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Mine are worse at 55 than 60. But still horrible, I have tinnitus and I just end up gritting my teeth, making my TMJ kick in to. Should get my new tires on next week. Or hopefully sooner.

I'm just guessing ( WAG) , are you certain it is coming from the rear sir ? ,if your sure , is there lateral play in the rear wheel ( bearing?) . Is the chain slider trashed ( sit's above the swingarm pivot) ?. If your thinking it may be coming from the front ,perhaps the speedometer cable needs lubed/....again , just a guess (s). The other rider's are probably accurate on the mentioned tire's.

The tires are 25 years old. I'll run it on a dirt road to see if the sound changes. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by dabsdog View Post
    The tires are 25 years old. I'll run it on a dirt road to see if the sound changes. Thanks for the help.
    I am going to go with Tire noise then. Judging by the picture that Bike must of been garaged kept the whole time then. Because those tires are in amazing shape and are not rotted. Someone once suggested to me to go to an empty parking lot and lay some carpet or some noise absorbing material down and get to speed were the noise happens then go over the material. if its the speedo cable it should still be making that noise but if its the tires you will hear a change in it. Guess grass or softer surface would work too.
    If all else fails maybe you need to look into lubing up your axle rod bolts. They may have dried up and could be causing heat friction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links