usual no start. im good on working on camaros. new to tdubs.
Close

usual no start. im good on working on camaros. new to tdubs.

It started a few months ago. Bike was perfect then one day it became very cold natured. It always cranked but with choke all the way out it would die in idle. Had to give it some rpm a few turns to keep it from cutting off. Warmed up it ran perfect. Had a nail in tire so it sat for about a month. Recently. Fixed that. Oil change did myself. By the book. Went well. Drove to gas station. Right after. On way there I noticed. Best way to describe it. Felt like bike wanted to shut off a few times while cruising rpm. Never did. I come home a few minutes later. Changed air filter. Went to bed. Next day. Went to crank. No luck. I changed the plug. New one. No difference. Took air filter out tried to see if she would try to fire up. No luck. Still gotta check valves. And cam chain. I really hope that helps. I do not want to take carb off bike. But I gotta feeling carb may be the issue. I hear it try to fire. Just not enough to start. Sorry for my long post. I'm basically asking if you guys think it sounds carb related. Sorry I wanted to lay all the symptoms out. Forgive my post length.

Got a kick start on that bike bro? It does sound like the carb since it was just fine before the down time. I would try some Lucus Deep Creep Fuel Cleaner, it's the best. Put 3 oz in the tank. Put your battery on the charger before trying to start it.

Welcome to the forum!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Gasoline isn't like it used to be ,it goes bad very quickly because of the ethanol in it .It sounds like your bike isn't used much since you waited a month to fix the tire ,anyways that month is enough to gum up your fuel system .You can try the Lucas ,and Sea Foam works good too ,but you might just be better removing and cleaning your carb properly .I would also remove the fuel tap from the tank and clean the screen in it as well .

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by the weiand one View Post
    It started a few months ago. Bike was perfect then one day it became very cold natured. It always cranked but with choke all the way out it would die in idle. Had to give it some rpm a few turns to keep it from cutting off. Warmed up it ran perfect. Had a nail in tire so it sat for about a month. Recently. Fixed that. Oil change did myself. By the book. Went well. Drove to gas station. Right after. On way there I noticed. Best way to describe it. Felt like bike wanted to shut off a few times while cruising rpm. Never did. I come home a few minutes later. Changed air filter. Went to bed. Next day. Went to crank. No luck. I changed the plug. New one. No difference. Took air filter out tried to see if she would try to fire up. No luck. Still gotta check valves. And cam chain. I really hope that helps. I do not want to take carb off bike. But I gotta feeling carb may be the issue. I hear it try to fire. Just not enough to start. Sorry for my long post. I'm basically asking if you guys think it sounds carb related. Sorry I wanted to lay all the symptoms out. Forgive my post length.
    What grade gas to you use in it? Sounds like a Carb issue. BUT to make sure its not a "duh" moment, do you have the gas turned on at the Petcock? Cause for you to get there and come back it sounds like your starving the engine of gas. The main reason I think its a carb issues is cause of how long you had it sitting there and the symptoms. Mine did the same thing and it was cause I had it sitting forever. Once I got the carb jets and mixture screw replaced it stopped being cold hearted. So if you do happen to get it running try the Seafoam idea too but if it will not fire up I would suggest checking the jets. Way easier then checking the valves or cam chain IMHO.

either fuel or electrical, not valves.

pull the fuel hose off your carb, drain the tank into a container, using both full and reserve settings. does it flow well? if the gas is clean, put it back in the tank, or remove and clean tanks if you like. it may very well be carb but this is an easy first step. a newly cleaned carb would need a clean supply anyway.

re spark: change the plug? are you getting spark when it won't start?

in the wiring under your right side plastic, find the cdi ignition unit. identify the blue/yellow wire. cut it (in a way you can reconect later, this is for testing) and connect the cdi side to ground. "must be grounded to run". this bypasses the kill switch and (all) the interlocks, including the trouble prone sidestand switch. you can still turn the bike on/off at the key.

another test is to take the cdi out, put it in an airtight plastic bag, and freeze it overnight. if the bike fires up = bad cdi.

lizrdbreath had a great post on these forumns about hooking up a timing light taped where you can see it, and going for a drive, then when things faulter, if the light continues to flash steady you know it's fuel; if not it's electrical.

-
    Last edited by slowmod; 06-25-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks for the input guys. Bike is a 2013 little over four grand. I'm waiting for a good day to finish up on maintenance on it. Time for valves and other tthings to be checked up on anyways. All same day. Tank and seat coming off to get to things easier anyways. Looking around I don't think my bike has a fuel filter on it. Least as I can tell by a glance.

Sponosred Links