New, Bad, NGK Plug.
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By slowmod

Thread: New, Bad, NGK Plug.

New, Bad, NGK Plug.

one interesting sidenote encountered while figuring out that my cdi was bad, was the ol' new component you'd never suspect failing trick, in this case a new-out-of-the-box-a-month-ago ngk spark plug.

the bike ran fine (~1/2 hour) with this plug when i froze the cdi.

later, i was testing a ford duraspark ignition i had hooked up to the bike (fires fine but just idles, no advance, another post).

after a while, the bike would start, and then fade. i pulled the plug out to verify fire.

tw_plugbad1_web.jpg
    it sparked good just a couple times, then faded. i noticed some sizzling and smoke right where the post emerges from the porcelain, and up the side of the porcelain. you can see the arcing a little here. unburnt gas seams to be dampen the leakage somewhat.

tw_plugbad2_web .jpg
    then after it had been fired a bit, dried out, and you look down the barrel - leakorama! walking right thru the sides of the porcelin. bad plug! bad. sit.

tw_pluggood_web.jpg
    this is the two year old, tarnished ngk plug i had swapped out. happy, works fine.

another in a long line of cautionary tales.

-
    Last edited by slowmod; 06-29-2014 at 07:40 PM.
    B-dub likes this.

rbm
    I guess you never know... I think I may test my spares now.

Every company makes a dud from time too time....it just comes at a bad time .

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. It is a good reminder that a new component may not always work properly. When diagnosing, I often do not give much thought to a recently replaced part going bad.
    Last edited by Leben; 06-28-2014 at 06:38 PM.

NGK makes way too many
    Put a Champion in a jap bike

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Every company makes a dud from time too time....it just comes at a bad time .
    Look at the bottom of this page under SIMILAR THREADS
    Norm in Arkansas
    2006 TW , Kick Starter , Shinko 241 front 4;00/18 ,Vesrah HD clutch springs. Carb jet Kit, Amsoil 10-40 , ALLSBALLS steering head bearings, Jimbo shield. Zeta drop -down bend handguards
    Ricochet skidplate from IMMIX RACING , BIKEMASTER Supersport mirrors XT350 fuel tank , member big foot pegs

Honda XR 600 , KTM 300 , BMW 1100 gs , 327 Cushman Truckster , KTM 625 SXC . Ural with sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by greenbomb View Post
    NGK makes way too many
    Put a Champion in a jap bike
    i've had really bad luck with champions.
    one would hope they have improved over the years but i avoid them.

my first choice is bosch when available, then ngk.

i recently had a new automotive starter solinoid stick "on". so turning off the key wouldn't stop the engine from cranking. i had to jump out, grab vice grips, open the hood, and unbolt a battery teminal to get it to stop. the motorcylist parked in the space ahead of my truck was not impressed.

the reason i mention this is that the solinoid was "standard" brand, good name, good quality, a lot of their stuff was north american made. oh, but this solinoid was "red box" standard, which is now their economy line, not "blue box" standard , which is now suposedly the good stuff.

which is to say brand loyalty is like the damn cape for the bull sometimes but what can you do. maybe i shoulda gone for the blue cape?

-

Yep , know what you mean
    Good switches have silver contacts . copper contacts under high amp loads tend to stick . A week battery compounds that . If you could have hit the solenoid with the vice grips in MOST cases would have released the contacts . Bosch is good enough for us Germans Shame that they have two different lines . Really does not cost that much more to make good stuff . But to a big shot maker a million pennies = 10 thousand dollars. still a shame what they do to the public to pay the CEO's outrageous salaries
    Look at the bottom of this page under SIMILAR THREADS
    Norm in Arkansas
    2006 TW , Kick Starter , Shinko 241 front 4;00/18 ,Vesrah HD clutch springs. Carb jet Kit, Amsoil 10-40 , ALLSBALLS steering head bearings, Jimbo shield. Zeta drop -down bend handguards
    Ricochet skidplate from IMMIX RACING , BIKEMASTER Supersport mirrors XT350 fuel tank , member big foot pegs

Honda XR 600 , KTM 300 , BMW 1100 gs , 327 Cushman Truckster , KTM 625 SXC . Ural with sidecar

Sponosred Links